1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

In Vitro Fertilization and Choosing Traits

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by iiimee, Aug 4, 2016.

1. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Gay people aren't oppressed in the western world either, especially lesbians, if you're going by the legal term of "oppression". I can get married, I will not go to jail or be killed for having sex with women. I have legal rights in my state that I cannot be fired or refused service for being a lesbian.

On the other hand, I have people calling me a dyke, telling me lesbians need the right man or the right dick, men fetishizing me, telling me I can't have real sex without a dick, telling me women can't love women and can only have sex.

Is this oppression?

Because as a woman I also face certain discriminations. I am forced to be held to unrealistic beauty standards that men aren't and am horribly ostracized by others if I don't comply. I live in a society where men feel entitled to have sex with (or at least attention from women) so I constantly get catcalled, get men who won't take no for an answer, sexually harrass me, and am at higher risk for rape and victim blaming. I can't get birth control easily without being slut shamed, I'm called a slut for doing things that men can do worse things of and that's ok. Some of my medical issues are ignored because of my gender and told I'm just complaining. Men talk over me and won't listen to what I say because of my gender. Straight women are more likely to be raped and killed by their partners, and bi women have an even higher risk. Straight women are held to unrealistic standards that their partners don't have to face. In poly relationships, men can sleep with other women but forbid their partners from sleeping with men.

And the list goes on and on.

Also, did you know that 100% of all lesbian "oppression" is due to sexism and not homophobia? People "support" girl/girl but don't support girls not being attracted to men. So I have always found it worse to be a woman than to be a gay woman. I've never wanted to be straight, but I've longed to be a man since forever since I feel I won't have to deal with most of the BS I have to deal with now).

#21 Creativemind, Aug 7, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2016
  2. Manitoban

Three big problems with this:

One: It's been mentioned but a proper male/female ratio needs to be maintained.

Two: Children will become a commodity

Three: Most problematic of them genetic diversity. If our genes aren't very diverse and get sourced from similar sources instead disease has a much stronger chance of wiping us out. Ie Bananas and the fear with them. Since they are all essentially the same plant disease will completely destroy them like wildfire.

Not to mention I like people having unique faces... Not " please select from these 10 genetic markers." Like buying a cookie cutter house sheesh...

3. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Also, I agree with what the others say about choosing traits will cause more discrimination, oppression, and hatred in our society towards different groups. We will be breeding 'perfect' genes and hating each other for not complying. Human beings already hate others for being different, and this will be the same. If genetic diversity becomes less, the dangers in our society (wars, etc) will increase too.