1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Military Brat?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by logansarah, Aug 2, 2016.

1. logansarah

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Anyone here also grow up as one? My dad recently retired from the army just last month. If so, where have you lived? I've lived in California(2), Texas(5), Germany(3), New York(1), Kansas(5), Hawaii (1 1/2), New York (1/2), and coming soon Georgia. How do you guys deal with moving your whole life than suddenly knowing that your new home is going to be your permanent home, that you can change it and make it yours? What have you learned from the experience. I gained a open mind, had many experiences, and met many different people. Where did you first hear the term Military Brat? I heard when I got my yearbook in Germany when I was in 3rd grade, there was a poem about it in the back of the book.

2. nonbel

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I grew up as a Navy Brat. I've lived in New York, Pennsylvania, California and Italy. Moving has always been the norm for me and I've never spent more than a few years in one place. From it I learned how to pack better than anyone else I know and also am resilant and laid back. I enjoyed living in many different places because everywhere is different and has different things to offer.

3. logansarah

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

4. RGEm

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My stepdad's in the RAF, so I guess I'm a RAF brat. I haven't moved that many times, so I've lived in Benbecula (3), Cornwall (2), Swindon (1), Colerne (5), Leuchars (2) and I've been living where I am now for about 4 years. It hasn't really affected me since I was 10 though, as I went to a boarding school from that moment on. However I never really had friends growing up, as I struggled to fit in at primary schools. I made friends once I went to my current/old school, as I had a more permanent place, but it means I don't have anyone to hang out with in the holidays, as I don't know any people in the areas I move to.
    I think moving just taught me to not dwell on things I can't change - I can't change the fact that I'm moving, so I accept it and move on. I think it has stopped me from getting stressed out from things as easily as other people because of it.

#4 RGEm, Aug 4, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
  5. DMark69

Army Brat here. I lived in California, Massachusetts, Maryland, Colorado, New York, and Germany, and attended 9 schools before graduating High School. I also choose to join the Army myself and served for 12 years.

6. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not but I moved around a lot. I've lived in 8 houses because my mom doesn't like to stay in one spot.