1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jewelry?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by nightowl88, Aug 1, 2016.

1. nightowl88

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So I wear a lot of jewelry and my trans friend was saying that it makes a really big difference what you wear. I didn't think much of my jewelry at first because a lot of it is very neutral and half of it was taken from my brothers anyway. I usually wear a black cross necklace that I am not at all worried about because it's my little brothers and a claddagh ring that I got from my uncle. I worry mainly about bracelets even though they are more nuetral on my lady wrist i have a purple bracelet about domestic abuse and a couple of the plastic ones you get at fairs and in my right wrist I have a black watch and a black sweatshirt string that is wrapped around my arm. I was wondering if any of these items could make it harder for me to pass as a boy and if jewelry can make that big of a difference.

2. XMikaX

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think that jewelry can make a difference and that it can help with passing or not (that of course depends on what you wear). But what you wear seems pretty masculine to me and I really don´t think that any of these items will make it harder for you to pass.
    I mean of course most cisgender men don´t wear much jewelry but there a lot of men who do too and nobody would consider them less manly because of that.

I hope that was kinda helpful ^^.

3. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Men can certainly wear jewelry, but it's not going to help if you already have trouble passing. I would cut down a bit if possible. A little bit is okay.

4. Kal

Kal

Out Status:
    A few people
    If you look around at cis men in your region, do you see much jewellery? The odd bracelet or ring is often the case, but men generally accessorise less than women. Entirely up to what makes you comfortable and what you like to wear - if it's important to pass, less jewellery. If you like to wear it and don't mind not passing as much, then have at it. Don't compromise what you like to fit someone else's ideals, because ultimately, that's the direct opposite of what you're wanting to achieve as trans.

5. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I wear plenty of jewelry, about the same as you plus a few earrings, rings, and maybe an anklet in the summer. There are differences in "masculine, feminine, or neutral" styles but sounds like you're in the "masc/neutral" zone. If you like them, keep wearing them.

6. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree, I say do what feels right and comfortable for you.