1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm 35 and just accepted I'm gay

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Heval, Aug 1, 2016.

1. Heval

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi. Suddenly, the other day I started to hate the idea of being gay. I was really irritable with everything. Traffic, weather, a small pain in my foot, everything! I kept this idea in my mind that I didn't want to be gay. I just hated it! I felt really alone and asking "why me?" I wanted to forget about it and "pretend" nothing happened. It's like I missed the past of not knowing. It is like a pain that doesn't go away regardless of what I do. Going to sleep helped at least for that time.
    Some days passed and I got a little bit of calm. Therapy helped a bit. I realized that I didn't need to be a certain way or do things that I didn't want to do. There isn't a list of activities I need to follow after realizing of being gay. I feel a little better now. I still need to accept and love me more. I just didn't know it was going to be so hard and intense...

2. angeluscrzy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I had my first crush on a male best friend when I was 16. But found myself shuffling back into the closet again. When i was 19, i was completely smitten the first tim i saw Gavin Rossdale. Wanted to be out then, but still couldnt muster the courage. All my life has been trying to somehow fulfill expectations I believe others had of me, or my own ideas of what I was "supposed" to do. Now I find myself at 39, with 3 kids and having separated from their mother a year and a half ago. The split has made a lot of things much more difficult. Having to work almost 70 hours a week, splitting custody of the girls, feeling shut down to everything around me and with not a single friend to speak of.
    That said, for all of these struggles, as much as part of me hates pretty much every facet of my life, I'd still say it is completely worth it to reach that point where the closet is no longer an option.

3. Heval

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello again, now instead of feeling angry I just feel sad (apparently for no reason) just sad... Maybe it is self pity and I hate that! I thought I was moving forward somewhere but now I feel stuck in some weird sticky mud... I don't know how to continue or what I really want. I don't understand who am I now. Sometimes I want to come out to my brother but I back down again and again... Does this get any easier?? :bang: Thanks for reading

4. BranRan12

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I a 32 and just now finally accepting that I am gay. Now I have just a couple of friends that know but I am not out and open. Have not yet told any of my family since they are pretty religious, just have been afraid and very scared. But congrats to you :slight_smile:

5. pasinhose

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is great advice as I have pretty much done the same thing. Often what I see (and I include myself in this) is that many wanting to take that leap don't necessarily live around a lot of other gay people so that sort of stymies the transition to coming out. What I did do is join Meet-up and a gay affliated group. My confidence is renewed and one day I hope to come out completely.

6. QuestionMark99

That is me! I have a family the size of Mongolia but not a single gay person in the lot of them - that I know of anyway. There's just no one around me to make being gay a normal thing so basically "TV gay" is all they know. There was like, one person from my school that came out publicly so not even any distant friends either.

No one is truly hatefully homophobic, but I have wished for years that someone would blaze the trail before me because I'm pretty sure I can't do it... at least not yet.

7. infiniteblue

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Heval, I feel a bit like a trailblazer. I only came out this year, at 47, but almost everything in life seems more clear now. The only difficulty is in my marriage. I've been married for 13 years tomorrow, and have 2 kids, 10 and 12. I came out to my therapist first, then my wife, then her side of the family and then mine; all within a week. I waited another month or so before coming out to friends at work, but they all, save one, have been very supportive. It was terrifying the whole time, and I knew I was taking the chance of losing friends and family, but I just couldn't be in the closet anymore. I've dabbled in sex with guys, but nothing past blowjobs, kissing and stuff. I'm still with my wife, and part of me wants to stay with her, but unfortunately there is no sexual attraction, and she feels stiffed(ha). All I can give for advice is to just go for it. Let the chips fall well they may. At least that way you know where your starting point is. Hopefully you find some support, even one person helps. There also might be some groups in your area that you can go to for support. Good luck to you. We are all here for you.

8. Heval

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi! Apparently I thought I was Ok with this, but I think I still I'm hating this part of me (being gay and all). I don't know if the acceptance in the first place was "Ok, I live a nightmare, let's keep living". There's a part of me that doesn't want to live in a nightmare and still fights back and refuses to accept me being gay. There's another part of me that says that it shouldn't be a nightmare. That I shouldn't hate myself. You know, I'm divided in many pieces and it is driving me crazy. I don't want to deal with this but I have no other choice. I'm afraid, tired, and mad all the time. I'm in such an ugly mood and I don't know how to move on... Thanks for reading.

9. thetimehascome

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hi. I completely understand where your coming from. I came out to one person a while back. It was actually my ex wife. Her and i got in a big fight and i went to live with a friend and she figured me out because i have problems with my gender identity. she found some of my dresses and she figured me out so i guess that's two people. I haven't had any luck with dating sites. Two nights ago i thought i finaly made a connection with a guy in my area and he got scared and deleted his profile because in college his roomate tried forcing him to do sexual favors. I feel your pain. I really do.

10. DaveWho

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Wow! How have I not seen this thread before? Even though there has never been confusion about my desires, I have always resisted. Even when I finally abandoned the religious views that were holding me back the longest, I sometimes had thoughts that maybe I'm not actually gay, haha! It seems so daunting to make it "official" even to a few individuals. We have spent much life constructing a facade, each of us our own with different characteristics. After these many years we will probably not suddenly be totally free, as perhaps we envisioned (I know I hoped so). Nevertheless, as we continue to untangle from the web we've weaved, we work toward existing as our true selves :slight_smile: It is emotional sometimes.

Forgive me If I seem confused, I've been drinking :slight_smile: But your post resonated strongly with me. You mentioned feeling divided into many pieces: see my sig ;-) (then listen to the song :grin:)

Much love (*hug*)

11. lonewolf79

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi there...

I know how you feel.
    I came out at 25 ... and although it's been 11 years... (and 2 relationships later), I still have days where I feel angry, sad, "why me", I don't want this... etc... It is a difficult path but you're not alone. I have found some great people here to talk to... and slowly but surely I will eventually like the "out me". That doesn't mean I will go looking for anything... I don't use online dating or apps.
    Hang in there... keep chatting on here... we're all here for you and we all have had similar experiences... (*hug*)

12. Heval

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi again! Today I spoke to my brother on the phone ( he lives in another country) and came out to him. First I was texting him and I told him. I was trembling! Anyway, he was really kind and supportive. Then we talked and talked a lot. It was really good.
    I don't understand why it is so hard to come out. I guess, I'm always expecting a baseball bat hitting me on the head when I say I'm gay. What does it mean? Is it something about our culture? Some learned behaviour?
    So It was good to finally have someone really close to talk about this.
    Also I met a guy (through a dating site) and he is cool and we kissed. I think I was so scared I don't know if I enjoyed it or not. He had some experience with guys while I had none so I don't know if that is somewhat intimidating. But we talked a lot and it was fun. Apparently we are going to have a 2nd date, let's see if that happens. I realized through therapy that I can always have the control of what I want and what I don't want so that gives me a lot of confidence.
    In the end I'm still really scared of everything but I guess with time it will get better.
    Thanks for reading :grin:

13. Moonsparkle

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi Heval--and to reiterate what others have said, congratulations on the steps you have taken so far. You have accepted you are gay. You are in therapy which will help with what you are going through. And you have also come out to a couple of people.

In some ways your experience with online dating was a 'success'. The experience helped you to focus in on exactly what you need right now, which is a friend you can share with.

I applaud you for trying out online dating too. I haven't done this as I am way to scared/shy to even try it at this point! I am not sure how it all works but I think on these sites you are able to state up front that you are looking for 'just friends' rather than dating. Maybe this could increase your chances of making just friendships right now.

14. Heval

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi again!
    Well I went to my second date and it went good. Very good. I actually enjoyed it. We kissed a lot! But...
    I don't know what is going in my mind. It is so tiring! I think I'm still overthinking but I can't help it. When I was with him it was cool, but I don't know what do I feel about him. I actually don't feel anything! I am always scared, so that's one permanent feeling. Then this feelings of regret and shame come back, and go away... I'm too far away from my confort zone... I feel lonely and scared... Then again when I was with him I felt ok, forgetting everything and everyone, but then when I was coming back to my house, it was like my analytical mind turned on again and hell broke loose...
    I want and don't want to be with him. I start to being ok with being gay and then suddenly hate it with my guts! I need a hug...

#34 Heval, Feb 15, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  15. johndeere3020

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Big hug here!

16. Heval

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
  17. Jay84

Jay84 Guest

I'm the same way I'm 32 and been in denial about my sexuality for years despite visiting gay websites and magazines online.

This is the first place I've ever admitted my attraction to men.

18. Heval

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi Jay84. Welcome to EC. Thank you for writing. For me it has been an still is very hard to admit I'm gay. It has been a long process. What I can suggest is to get help with someone you trust, don't live it alone.
    Good luck with everything and count on me if I can help with any advice.