1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can be overcomed?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by crystalbal, Jul 31, 2016.

1. crystalbal

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
  2. Quist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've overcome it quite a bit. When I was younger it was pretty much crippling, at least now I can function fairly well in public. I think the reason I had it so bad was because of being bullied, beaten up, abused, and treated like dirt by everyone until I got older and out of school.

I don't think I'll ever be able to completely overcome it, but I've made lots of progress.

I actually joined this site because there was a LGBT sub forum on a social anxiety forum I used to frequent. I did most of my posting in that sub forum, but it was sometimes days before anyone made a new post, so I figured I'd sign up here.

3. DaniC

Well I kind of answered on the other one. I was almost unable to function with it in a lot of situations for most of my life up until I was 21. For some dumb reason I decided to go into the restaurant business. Kind of "ripping the band aid off" with that choice. I've been there ever since. But when I'm at work I feel like I'm in my house and I'm pretty comfortable talking with people usually. Although sometimes there are still situations at work where I'm not comfortable approaching a table (this is after 17 years).

I never have liked large family functions. We got together last November with my mom and aunt, my two brothers, our three cousins, three spouses of people, and seven young children (under the age of 8) and it was more than I could really stand. This is close family to me but it's just more than I'm comfortable with. I think I'll decline next time or just find out what time they are eating, stop in for a quick bite to say hello, and then find some excuse to leave really quick.

So, to your question, I don't know that I'll ever get over it personally, I just manage it a lot better than I used to. I find out where my comfort levels are and try to work within those levels.

4. crystalbal

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thanks for your replies :slight_smile:

5. Nobo

as soon as I came out to myself as gay I suddenly got social anxiety and I hate it

6. iiimee

As somebody who's done a lot of research into phobias of all sorts, I think the answer really depends on the person. Some people who anxieties will completely overcome, whereas other people might be able to overcome it to a degree, but if they didn't have to do anything social for a year and came back into a situation where they had to be social, they would once again have very severe social anxiety. Because of how important socializing is to the average human's mental state however, I think it's safe to say that it's a lot harder to completely rid yourself of social fears than it is a fear like heights or spiders.

7. crystalbal

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thanks for your replies guys :slight_smile:

8. Blood Elf

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think it's possible to an extent. I have dealt with it my entire life, and I started working retail about a year and a half ago and I thought "maybe this will help me". While it has a little, just not really noticeable and it still bothers me a lot. I don't think I'll ever get over it 100% but I can just attempt to improve.

#8 Blood Elf, Sep 2, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
  9. lliterallly

i dunno... its hard to imagine, but with the right help i guess anythings possible!!

10. bjanna

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've dealt with social anxiety a lot in the past and sometimes in the present, so I'm not sure ultimately, but so far, I think it can be to a large extent. I think there will always be an inkling that appears sometimes, but it can be controlled and managed. Once in a while I'll stress about something or how someone might interpret something I say, but I just have to tell myself it's fine, it's just my anxiety speaking, and this is so small, it doesn't even matter, it's fine.

11. GayBatman

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I've improved a lot from how I used to be. I credit my bff for helping me with that. But I still get anxious when I'm the center of attention.