1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PCOS (?) and totally overwhelmed

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Spot, Jul 29, 2016.

1. Spot

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I went to see a doctor for lower abdominal pain and it's not looking good at the moment :/ So after I showed her where the pain was, she asked me if I normally got the pain around the time that my periods were due (and if I'd even had a period before). I said yes and there was a lot of silence and she typed it up on her computer. She asked me a ton of questions about like if I needed any time off school because of the pain, how long my periods lasted and when I had my last one, if I needed any medication for it. She asked some more but I don't think they need to be posted :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: There was like long pauses and lots of fast keyboard tapping and then she did a physical examination, it didn't last very long, I kept moving around because it hurt too much to touch. I know that I've focused on this a lot, but I really didn't like the quietness, I feel like that indicated that something was wrong. :shrug:

Then she told my mom to take me to book an appointment for a pelvic ultrasound. She said it's not entirely clear at this point but she wants them to check for polycystic ovary/ovarian (which is it?) syndrome because it seems likely right now. At first that didn't worry me too much but now I feel kind of weird. I guess it's because it's apparently likely for me to be infertile or "less fertile" if I have the syndrome. That shouldn't bother me because I never wanted to get pregnant anyway, I feel "defective" though…cancer is also one of my biggest phobias and I'll have an increased chance of some cancers (it's endometrial and uterine, luckily I've always wanted a hysterectomy) + an increased risk of diabetes :frowning2: I don't want to disappoint or scare my family if I'm unable to have biological children and have an increased risk of serious illness. I feel really alone and just tired. I don't know if I have the syndrome yet because she did seem a bit confident about it to me :/ I haven't told any of my friends about it, I'd like to but maybe they'd think I'm gross or something like that.

Will I still be biologically female or intersex? A few websites said female, some said intersex and some said it should be considered an intersex condition.

Am I definitely fertile if I get periods? Or could I still be infertile?

Will my lifespan be shorter? Can I ask to get my uterus removed as a precaution?

Will I have to diet? This website talked about a PCOS diet but it seems to cut out a lot of foods...

If I get my ovaries removed or start T, would the syndrome disappear? I was planning on fully transitioning anyway so maybe this won't be a big deal?

Thanks. I have so many questions that FAQs haven't been able to answer, hopefully someone on here knows.

2. Nightdream

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have PCOS and it really isn't that bad. Well, not for me. I'm even thinking if it'd be worth treating it or not. I don't plan on having children and I always had colesterol problems to manage anyway, but you can take medication to treat it, I believe. If you're not used to eat healthy food and exercise, then you should consider doing so because people with this condition are at a higher risk of getting diseases.

Some people argue that it's an intersex condition because PCOS makes a female looking person develop masculine secondary sexual characteristics and it's usually an anti-binary option. Most of the people with this syndrome see themselves as a biological woman though. It's really up to you.

3. CharlieChalk

Hey.

So, I have PCOs too. I'm slightly older than you, but you are a lot more forward planning than I was/have ever been.

I can't answer any of those questions for you, because I'm an idiot and do blissfully ignorant so very well (yeah, I'm not helpful - sorry!). I get the defective feeling. But you got to remember, there also probably isn't one human on this planet that doesn't have some "imperfection". You are no more defective than anyone else. You just have a issue in one area which other people might not. You shouldn't worry about disappointing your family because of it - they'll probably want to help you.

However, there is a good online course (and facebook group) that I know a lot of other PCOs people use to learn more about their diagnosis and for support.

I'm not sure how linking to webpages works on here, but if you google PCOs diet support, and it'll probably the first one in the list. It is run by a lady called Tarryn.

(Sorry, I'm rubbish at being helpful...)

4. Spot

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks, I'm feeling more calm now, I posted that like an hour after we booked the pelvic ultrasound so it was still all new to me and I was being flooded with information. I still don't feel 100% okay about it but I should be fine. I'll try and find the online course though, that should be helpful :slight_smile:

5. PrettyinPunk

Hello, if you are diagnosed with PCOS, let me say I'm sorry. Its far from the worst thing but it's pretty sucky nonetheless.

I also have PCOS, was diagnosed at 13 so I've had plenty experience with the disease. First off PCOS is an autoimmune related disease. I won't go into too much detail because I'm sure you've heard it in overload. I will provide links for more info. PCOS affects women in varying degrees, it's possible to have a mild or light case of it. Also you may not experience all of the symptoms. When I was diagnosed, I had the period irregularity but I was actually fertile (not that it made me feel much better).

I'm not trans and I don't know anything about trans individuals who have this disease so I can't speak specifically on that. But having PCOS doesn't make you intersex in any way. I'm confused as to what you mean if you'd be biologically female. Do you mean because of the symptoms or if you get a hysterectomy?

Again if you have PCOS it doesn't necessarily make you infertile or unable to bear children. It does make it more difficult. Most women will have less than normal cycles but it depends on if the eggs in your ovaries mature enough to be able to conceive.

The "good" news is this is very rarely a life threatening disease. The only way I can even see is by developing uterine cancer which is severely unlikely, especially if you take measures to manage your PCOS. Removing your uterus is your choice but from what I know about the disease you can still experience all the other symptoms just as much. That's because the issue doesn't stem from that part of the body at all.

I'd also heavily encourage you to check out diets and a healthy diet and how it can affect PCOS. As soon as I was diagnosed I was put on medications as well as birth control. For me all it did was mask my symptoms and make me less healthy. After cutting out all pills I started a specific diet plan for people who suffer from autoimmune diseases. Since then I've been able get rid of nearly all my symptoms and hope to be in 100% remission soon. Trust me you can manage it with a clean diet.

I wish I could give more advice with transitioning but I'd recommend doing research and talking with medical professionals who have experience in that area. I do think it would be best to manage the disease then start T.

Here are some helpful links about PCOS and what you can do.

PCOS, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, Fertility and Infertility

Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS): Symptoms, Cause, and Treatment

What is The Best PCOS Diet? | PCOS Diet Support

There's so many resources out there besides these few. If you decide to switch up your diet, making an appointment with a nutritionist might be a good idea.

I hope things get sorted out for you. And if you have any more questions, go ahead and write on my wall. (*hug*)

6. Spot

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you, when I asked the question about whether I was biologically female or not, I meant because of the symptoms :slight_smile: I have the ultrasound tomorrow and I'm so nervous. I don't want to be right about having PCOS and I don't want to be wrong. I think I've already explained why I don't want PCOS :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: but I don't want to be wrong because the other options the doctor talked about don't sound pleasant either; she mainly talked about appendicitis. I don't know which I'd rather have, they both sound awful. It kind of makes sense, I've started to get pains around the right side of my abdomen, higher than the other pains and I did have a fever when I started getting the lower abdominal pains.

That still doesn't explain the irregular periods and pelvic pain, especially around that time or the masculine and feminine secondary sex characteristics though. Maybe I have both XD I'll get the ultrasound person to check anyway.