1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First run in with homophobia

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Vulpes, Jul 28, 2016.

1. Vulpes

Okay this isn't bothering me much but i thought it was a little thing to post because I haven't made many posts since i started this account.

Anyway about three weeks I ended up coming out to all of my friends that didn't already know i was bisexual.
    Most of their reactions were either "wow i didn't expect you to be the gay one, but yeah whatever thats cool!" Or "Oh okay whatever, doesn't really change much".
    So i was pretty happy that most of my friends were alright with me being the way I am, except one.
    One of best friends, Luke. I already knew he was slightly homophobic but i thought considering we had been best friends since we seven he might get our differences.
    As soon as I told him I could tell he was already a bit weirded out by it, after about twenty minutes he had already gone off with another group of friends of ours, something he never does, he always stays with our main group of friends so I could tell instantly it had bothered him.
    Anyway the next day a girl i know who gets on the same bus as Luke came up to me and asked me if I was bisexual, I was honest and said I was, it really didn't bother me anymore.
    So she stood there for a minute or two giggling and jumping about because she was "dying for a gay best friend" :lol:
    After that she told me that Luke said he didn't want to be my friend anymore and some other stuff so that kind of pissed me off that he was able to throw away almost eight years of friendship over such a little thing.
    By the end of the week Luke came up to me and apologised for a being a dick, I just answered with a "whatever" and he patted me on the arm.
    When he was walking away I saw that he looked at friend he was with wiped the hand he patted my arm with and just started laughing.
    Anyway I don't really care anymore, but I was wondering what your first run ins with Homophobia is?

2. EleanorHunter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That guy sounds like a total dick, and you're probably better off without that kind of negativity anyway.

I can't even remember my first run-in with homophobia. I live in a relatively liberal area (in terms of my generation, everyone else is a lil' on the conservative side). I was called the f word a couple of times in middle school. I've had a couple of people react as if I had just said "I caught ebola" and scoot back as if it were contagious. :roflmao:

The best example was when my mom accidentally outed me to her parents, because OH BOY THEY WERE DISPLEASED. I was mostly reprimanded for being public about it, because apparently that's something to discuss quietly behind closed doors. I mean, they screamed at me for half and hour, and that seems to be the opposite of quiet, but whatever. Anyway, before I was even involved in the conversation, my grandma accused my mom of making me gay, with the following excuses:

1. Letting her do theater (because that encourages it)
    2. Letting her dye her hair crazy colors
    3. Letting her watch RENT as a young child (though my sister got to watch it too and she's straighter than a ruler)
    4. Letting her wear too much black.

So there you have it. Everyone who wears too much black is gay. It's official. :lol:

3. AmyBee

I can't remember my first run-in with homophobia not because it was rare where I came from but because it was so common and pervasive I was experiencing it before I formed clear memories. I do remember there as a club near the county line that was considered a "gay bar" when I was in high school and everyone freaked out about it. Guys would drive by it and scream the f-word or throw beer bottles at cars parked there. But even before that there was a teacher in junior high who got outed and hanged himself. Everyone disavowed him and denounced him publicly, even students of his I'm FB friends with now who are themselves openly gay. I don't know if they remember it that way, but that's what happened. My hometown sucked.

4. peterw78165

peterw78165 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Uhh, let's see here.

When a bunch of students called me "faggot" at lunch one day back in sophomore year.

5. PennyT

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    At work, we were discussing gay marriage, and a handful of my coworkers called homosexuality a "mental disorder". Then we somehow got on the topic of sex, and my boss unclipped his phone from the spiral cord - one of those plugged-in, wire, ancient phone things - and proceeded to plug it back in and out to demonstrate the "real" way sex worked. (I'll never look at a phone the same way again. Ew.) I like to call those types "intellectual homophobes" because they've rationalized their level of homophobia to a non-malicious, very ignorant, horrifying degree. Thank god they don't know I'm gay.

6. BookWriter1994

Like you, my first run in was when I was coming out (I still don't have any idea at who I am) As a lesbian to my then best friend named Nicolle. I knew that she was a religious person. She goes to church every Sunday and Wednesday. When I told her, her response was this; "You're not gay. You just haven't found the right guy yet." And I was like, "Um, I really do think that I like girls not guys and so what?" And then she goes. "We can't be friends anymore." I was so upset I didn't know what was going on and so I said. "What? We can't be friends anymore because I am gay?" And we haven't spoken since then.

7. SHACH

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I've had:
    "Are you planning to become one of those manly women who go around lookin for other women?" - mother
    "If you cut your hair you'll look like an annoying feminist dyke" - former bff (who I was out to)
    And a bible from a concerned aunt.

Those are probably the worst things I've gotten towards me. People have always just been calling me a lesbian and I didn't like it for a long time, but they didn't say much actual offensive stuff, though they meant it as an insult.

I had one girl when I was about 13 though that would follow me around to touch my ass and then call me a lesbian like she was disgusted at me. That was freaky she was a total psyco. And about 2 years older than me.

#7 SHACH, Jul 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
  8. Sayonara

Sayonara Guest

Well well, let's see :slight_smile:

Hm, well I came out to my friend and she ignored me for like forever :slight_smile: that was fun! *obviously sarcasm*

9. SystemGlitch

I've never had something homophobic said or done to me directly, but when my boyfriend was in middleschool two other kids grabbed his arm and tried to burn him with a soldering iron for being a *f word*.

10. BreakinDaylight

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My first run in with homophobia was when I was 13 (back when I thought I was bi and before I realised I'm trans).
    I was hanging out at the park with my straight best friend. We were the touchy kind of friends who would hold hands platonicly and such, and we saw nothing wrong with that but a group of high schoolers did.
    My friend and I were just walking around the park, and the high schoolers started shouting at us for being lesbians. My friend and I found it kind of funny since we definitely weren't lesbians, but then the high schoolers started running at us. They chased us for several blocks until we lost them.
    The event really shook me and my friend up, so we tried to call down at her house for awhile until we were told to go walk the dog. We were walking the dog when we ran into those high schoolers again. Turns out they were still looking for us "lesbos". Once again they chased us, but we got away.
    So yeah, that was my first and worst run in with homophobia.

11. Nightdream

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    When I was 6-7 years old. My old school teacher told us that being gay was wrong and that homosexual people go to hell. A schoolmate shared us a story about a crossdresser that was, apparently, possessed by demons. The expected stuff. I don't even know how I didn't end up by becoming homophobic too.

12. Jackie13

Never experienced any directly against me, since I'm not out and never had a relationship. But just the other day, my grandma said she doesn't go to a certain local store on a certain day of the week because there is a gay couple that comes to shop often on that day and she doesn't want anything to do with gay people. Basically indicating that she thinks being gay could rub off on you or something just by being around it. Oh yes, and it's the worst sin ever in her eyes, and an abomination. And don't serve gays at your place of business either. Her opinions weren't a shock to me, but that was the first I ever heard her state them so openly.

13. mvp 447

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If there is a God, she'll get set on fire and run over by a car (perhaps I am known for hyperbole). I do seriously think she's an ignorant/stupid piece of trash. She never deserved to be in your wonderful company anyway.

14. DemiLiHue

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Wow, my badm, most of this seems really negative. I don't know how but I've managed to live in a conservative country with no serious homophobic encounters. The further something has gone was a dude that asked my BFF (he's bi, secretly dating his bf) if he liked girls. That's it.

I guess that's why I'm so scared about going somewhere that is not my school, even if sooner or later... >_<

15. hillwanderer

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    As a mostly closeted lesbian, I haven't run into much homophobia directed at me, but I certainly have heard more than my fair share of it in general growing up in a homophobic, Christian family, from the whole "being gay is a perversion/sickness" to "why would anyone choose to go against God's plan" etc.

My first and only personal experience with homophobia was when I was on a movie date with this girl (she's a little butch-looking, so we looked a bit like a butch/femme couple) and the girl at the movie theatre gave us this repulsed look that just said, "eww." Whatever, just shake it off. :sunglasses:

16. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hm... reading YouTube comments, maybe? Or something else online?

In real life... I guess maybe that one time in seventh grade, when the popular girl said that being gay is wrong. Someone started arguing with her, then the teacher told them to be quiet.

When it comes to homophobia directed right at me, it's hard to say. I'm not sure whether some of the comments I've gotten were homophobic or just people not believing I'm gay and trying to tell me that. Does it count as homophobia if someone says, "You'll change your mind later," or "You're just confused?" Luckily, it seems that's the worst I've gotten.