1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How much do you think about your sexuality?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by LostInDaydreams, Jul 23, 2016.

1. QuestionMark99

For a long time it was just something that I knew but wasn't ever going to deal with. Just ignore it best I could. Now... it's a constant thing. I don't know what's changed but in the last year or so it's on my mind all the time. I think it's not that it's become any more important, it's just that I don't know how to deal with it in any productive/public way that will leave me feeling stronger so my mind has become stuck on it.

2. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think this is typical when you first start to come out and figure out your sexuality. New things are exciting. Personally, I don't really think about my sexuality much at all, but I've also been out for nearly 12 years now. It starts to become normal after a while.

3. cakepiecookie

Way too much, though it comes and goes. I go through phases of either repressing it or just being distracted with other things, but then other times it's all I can think about.

4. findingjoy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it's normal for us coming out.. in a way I feel like I am wearing myself down, or wearing my resistance down...I know can't keep going back and forth or thinking about.... its a weird feeling because deep inside, I know I am going to accept myself as gay, but it just hasn't surfaced yet.

5. sabrinaa

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    A few years ago this was like non-stop on my mind, it was driving me crazy. It only left my mind after I went on a vacation. Then it was back on my mind, but not as bad. Now it kind of comes and goes for a period of time. Currently,it's at least once everyday. Yeah on my mind a lot though, also I think that is because I am really thinking about it a lot on purpose because I think I am finally making a breakthrough, hopefully?

One thing that has been an issue though is especially when I meet new people I think to myself "if you knew I was not straight would you even want to talk to me? " then I kind of start to mentally separate myself form the straight people in the room I am talking to and make myself feel like an outcast when in reality I am not and no one even knows I am not straight, but it is still on my mind.

6. davidfreckelton

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Dunno. How often do you think of your dominant hand?

7. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This happens all the time. Even with people I already know, "If you knew I wasn't straight you'd probably stop liking me."

It's pretty annoying.

8. Highlander2

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Only when I think about how great life is and then I think - wow, I am dating someone who is immensely good looking with a decent body and a lovely personality. And the best thing is, it's a guy :slight_smile: Oh, yeah, that's right that's cos I'm GAY! And it feels amazing. Truly amazing when I realise that I am now who I truly am.

9. Tritri

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I lived in denial, but knew deep down inside the whole time that I was not straight. (and back then, I DID think about it a lot, however hard I tried not to)
    I never genuinely questioned it. I might have "questioned" it while really just denying it.
    As soon as I admitted it to myself, I accepted it. I never went through shame or self-hate for being gay.
    I thought about it a lot after I first came out to myself, and after each time I tell somebody, but in a normal day I rarely think about it. It's just not a big part of who I am.

#29 Tritri, Jul 24, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2016
  10. YeahpIdk

I feel like when I was a teenager, it would pop up sporadically, but in a denial kind of way. Like I would make out with some girl friends, even experiment, or find a woman's body appealing in a way that wasn't truly all envy. Yet still, I wouldn't go much further into the thoughts. Then when I actually fell for a woman and started questioning, I become obsessive in a really unhealthy way. Now that I understand and have accepted my identity, I hardly think about it. It's just a part of me. And if I do think about it, it's more a nod of acknowledgement.

11. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you for all your replies. :slight_smile:

QuestionMark, I also feel that it's on my mind so much because I can't really do anything about it, so sort of stuck on questioning.

12. Devil Dave

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think there's anything wrong with constantly thinking about your sexuality, but it seems that you have negative feelings attached to these thoughts. You even mentioned a homophobic voice in your head. Once you start finding people to associate with who are open minded and supporting of gay people, that you can be yourself with and feel comfortable with, these negative feelings will dissipate and you'll start having more positive feelings attached to your gay thoughts.

If you do want to put these thoughts and questions on hold, you might need to find some sort of distraction. Maybe take up a new activity or volunteer for a local cause or something.

13. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks, Dave. I'll try to keep myself busy! :slight_smile:

14. Flatulentius

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    While I can't recall the last time I wondered whether I was mistaken about really being gay (that happened less and less frequently over the first year or two after I came out to myself), I still spend arguably way too much time worrying about what might go wrong if people to whom I don't intend to come out happen to hear through the grapevine after I come out to other people whom I know to be safe. That's what living in a small, tightly knit, conservative rural community does to you. I keep debating whether it'll get better with time (it's been a few years now, so that's ... again ... arguable that it won't), or whether I should start planning my ... um ... exodus. :icon_redf

15. Althidon

I think when something is new, you tend to dwell on it. That's true for any major change you make/contemplate making. When I started transitioning, questioning my gender identity and its effect on my sexuality took over my life. Everything I did ended up bringing me back to it. Years later, I still think about it (or I wouldn't be here!) but it's just one part of many parts of me. It doesn't come up much in my day to day life anymore. I'm just me.

16. pinklov3ly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think about my sexuality quite often, especially whenever I see someone who I find attractive of the same sex. Which is like several times of day considering the fact that work in customer service. It's rather difficult to deal with because I'm currently with a male which makes me think that perhaps I'm with the wrong sex :icon_redf:eusa_doh:

#36 pinklov3ly, Jul 26, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
  17. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks, Althidon. That's a good way of looking at it.

18. Chicagoblue

Pretty much a tleast once an hour during waking hours.:bang:

19. QuestionMark99

Yeah, if I had some sort of plan of action or even an escape route should everything go bad I might be able to make something happen. But life is not a rose bouquet and so I'm well and truly stuck until I can do something.... anything. And while it probably sounds like an excuse, a lot of the things that keep me stuck are not really even in my control! They do however, stand in my way. UGH!

I hope you find a way "out".

#39 QuestionMark99, Jul 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
  20. lizzie2000

My sexuality is always on my mind. Doesn't matter what I'm doing. For me though, right now at least, it is not possible to just stop thinking about it.