1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does Anyone Like Film Making?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by iiimee, Jul 22, 2016.

1. iiimee

Hey, so I'm just curious as to whether anyone here has experience in creating any or all parts of a film. It doesn't matter if the actors and scenes are digital or real, what you do in the process or if it's a one-time thing or a whole series. I just want to see if anyone can offer insight into film making and how to get a good film done. I'd also appreciate if anyone here was willing to answer some of my questions and if they know of any good free video editing programs that will let me combine clips, visually edit them and add the sound effects I want. Thanks!

2. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm into editing/cutting, and as soon as I can afford a real camera and a decent mic, I'll beginn to shot some experiments... The ones I can afford at least. But to be honest, I'd rather cut, or write, than shoot. I can spend many hours going for the final cut, the best one, and I forget easily clocks, sleep and food, so I'm the natural born cutter.

How to get a good film done? I think the first rule is to do something you do believe in, something you are passionate about, whatever it is, and follow your guts wherever they take you, but it's the same with any other work of art... And a good film is usually a product of Team Work, unless you are willing to do everything yourself, which would be exhausting (no, let's face it : IMPOSSIBLE) for most films...

KDenlive is a good, mostly solid, free, open source software for video editing. It comes with Ubuntu Studio, which has all the tools you'd probably need. You can do many, many sweet things with KDenlive, including chroma, fade ins and outs, and whatnot. Free tutorials on youtube, and they also have an excellent wiki.

What kind of films do you have in mind?

#2 Michael, Jul 25, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2016
  3. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've dabbled in film interest and got to do camera work on one CG short for school, but don't think it's for me. Maybe in another life. :slight_smile:

*The point of my project was not cinematography though, so I got really no coaching on techniques whatsoever. But I had to make some decisions about framing, cuts, and motion, which was interesting.

#3 Argentwing, Jul 25, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
  4. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There's a lot of people on Youtube who do videos on film making and how to get into it; such as DLSRGuide, Darious Britt, Riot Film, and IndyMogul.

As far as editing programs go, Windows Movie Maker and iMovie (if you have a Mac) is always a decent program to start out with. I doubt you'll find a good editing software for free that won't have either a 30 day trail or viruses and other bugs.

5. AmyBee

Yeah, Windows Movie Maker works just fine. And it's free as far as I know. It's super easy to learn and a lot of what you learn using it will translate to the higher end programs. The main thing is learning the basics of what makes a film sequence or scene work anyway.

6. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Unless you dare to use Linux :icon_wink

7. ScarletWitch

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Windows Movie Maker is okay, but I'm personally a fan of Final Cut Pro X (for Mac), but it's pretty expensive.

8. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There's that. I had one software I used briefly back in 2010 that did the job well, but you had to tinker with it a little to get rid of a water marker that would show up about a minute into whatever you made.

9. EleanorHunter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I mostly used my skills in film making to make youtube videos, but I haven't done that in forever. I've been meaning to get back into film stuff, and actually had an idea for a really cool music video project at one point.

I can't really give too much advice in terms of programs to use and equipment, since I'm still learning myself. I got Vegas Movie Studio 11 as a gift a couple of years back, and use that for all my projects. It's probably expensive though.

If anybody knows a thing or two about audio in videos, I'd love to hear your tips! I've been tempted to make short films that involve actual dialogue, but don't want to deal with choppy audio when switching shots and angles. I'm really not sure how to do it.

10. DrewKing

I love filmmaking. Graduate of NYFA.
    Check out my new short. :grin:

"SAM"
    Centered around a sold returning home from deployment to find his boyfriend diagnosed with Stage Three Leukemia.

https://youtu.be/iMPwlNiNhcE

11. Angus44

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    In my experience the editing software you should get depends a lot on your experience as an editor and what functionality you need. If you're just starting out, I agree with several of the other commenters that you should go for a program like windows movie maker or iMovie. However, I found that the best free editor/compositor is HitFilm4 Express. As for filmmaking tips, the biggest suggestion I can give you is to make as many films as possible. Over the past year I have been really focusing on filmmaking and I'm shocked at how much I've learned. I hope this helps (big fan of Ozymandias btw) :slight_smile:

12. LakanLunti

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    While I was in college, we had numerous film projects. I love making one! But the one i didnt enjoy the most is working with your lazy teammates. I learned several video editing software too because of this. From the very basics of MovieMaker, to PowerDirector, to Sony Vegas, to Adobe Premiere and AfterEffects.

In this projects, I also underwent doing pre-production, production, and post-production. I honestly enjoy pro production because this where I excel the most. I like brainstorming ideas for the video, storyboarding, and doing the script. Though still I can do well in any of those processes.

You can message me if you need some help in any of the video editing software that I enumerated :slight_smile:

13. Casey221B

I'm currently doing a filmmaking program for queer and trans youth.

14. Justinian20

I love filmmaking, I'm definitely more of a pre-production person though. I love coming up with ideas and I'm okay with shooting I'm just not all that good at the actual filming process. I'm much better at pre-production and post is okay, I'm just not super good at editing.

15. Ozma

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm an aspiring director, but I love all parts of making movies. I'm also a huge movie buff.

---------- Post added 30th May 2017 at 10:36 PM ----------

Actually, HitFilm 4 Express is pretty good. If you're using it for digital effects, sure, you do have to buy most of the plug-ins and effects, but for free software, it's surprisingly good. It also can be used on Mac!

16. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I use Filmora, which is not free, but is reasonably priced. It comes with some basic effects, it can do subtitles, credits and the like. They release other effects pretty regularly, but those you have to buy.

Besides editing, it can do both slow motion or speed up the footage you have. Along with recording audio over the video. I'd link my youtube, but I think that is against the rules.

17. BothWaysSecret

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I had some experience with it in college. I majored in animation, but learned both live action and animated techniques. I have always been fascinated by the process, and it's part of what made me pursue that in college.