1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Video game avatars

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Rickystarr, Jul 18, 2016.

1. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So I made a new world of warcraft account after at least a year hiatus. This is the first time I've played since accepting that I'm trans. I was all excited to make male characters because I've always played female characters, but when I actually went to make one, I found myself uninterssted in the male characters. I've always liked to make characters that actually look like me and not only does it seem impossible to make the male characters resemble me in any way, but I find them totally unappealing aesthetically.

I know it is kind of silly because I know lots of cis guys who play almost exclusively female characters but this kind of worries me a little. I also don't really wantto play a female character though. I just wish there were more customization options I guess. I don't want to be a hulking character. I want to be a lithe, androgynous character. That is me. Even the elves are grotesquely muscular with angry faces. Is it weird that I am so attached to "pretty" or "cute" characters? I hate to look at something so ugly for hours. A lot of ftms say one of their early signs was always choosing male characters, but I wouln't unless they were cute or androgynous.

2. Synesthesia

I feel the same tbh and prefer playing androgynous characters regardless of their gender + the WoW male characters are pretty ridiculous looking anyway.

I don't think it means much though. I've known so many women who play male characters and men who play female characters, people play whatever and for various reasons. Actually I used to know a guy who said he played female characters in WoW because he liked looking at attractive female characters while playing.

#2 Synesthesia, Jul 18, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2016
  3. AmyBee

I actually don't think it's so silly to want a character who represents you and your tastes rather than just the game designers'. One thing I always look for in a RPG is how customizable the main character is, including appearance. Not necessarily to make myself in my identified gender but just to make an "idealized" me so I can inhabit the character more. And also because it's fun. I wish games gave you even more options as a default.

4. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I always just go for a cool looking character. When I played WoW, I tried to go with the selections that didn't seem popular for the race... Granted I played on the Horde, and usually played Tauren. Though with some tusks and green body paint I could easily pass for an orc in real life.

5. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I always used female avatars because I felt that I was lying if I didn't, even though I really liked the male characters better. These days I only use male characters, eve my pokemon go avatar is a dude

My bro plays a mix of girl and boy characters. As he points out, girls tend to have the cooler looking outfit.

6. Kiran

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You can always play another character in another game. Perfect World, Aion, Final Fantasy XIV online just to name a few have great customisation options. Male elves in Lineage 2 looks "gay" or feminine. :wink:

I have old characters that are female and I have no problems with them even if some people (also ftm) have problems with this. Some people think you're the same gender as your characters but since my mains in two guilds are females and I'm not... There was some misgendering at first. Now it's cool.

In some games I don't like how male toons look and ther's nothing wrong with that. It's just design.

7. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I typically love games with customization, as it's neat to be unique and really have your character stand out among the crowd. As in "Oh, I've played this game seven times and I'm always (Main Character)" it gives you the option to play with a new perspective each time if you go for it.

Kind of suffers a lot from armor differences between genders though, how a dude will get a full set of heavy metal armor and the girl gets an iron bikini. It's ridiculous and immersion-breaking. In games with ridiculous armor or proportion options, it's super easy to spot the straight guys who play as female characters though. I get that it'll grab their attention but there's plenty of companies that seem to think only men play games. :rolle:

So yeah, as long as it's within reason I'm all for it. Never played WoW but I can agree that an option for slimmer males makes sense, not every mage or researcher is going to be 700pounds of pure unsaturated Hulk Hogan. :lol:

8. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well... I've always been a girl in any game if I have a choice. And yes I make my characters look like me.

[​IMG]

Can you see the resemblance?

9. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I give this a 20 out 10

10. iiimee

I almost always play a girl or feminine male, but mostly a girl because I get a TON of free stuff when I'm a chick online! XD Basically, I'm like this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEI_5UWH56s

---------- Post added 20th Jul 2016 at 10:11 PM ----------

:thumbsup: What game is that?

11. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    /bow

My in game search message says "Yes, I look like this".

And to answer the question the game is final fantasy 14.

#11 Kasey, Jul 20, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2016