1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Afraid Of The Gym!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by TeddyV, Jul 16, 2016.

1. TeddyV

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm skinny, weak and basically have no muscle. My body starts to shake when I can't handle the weight. I'm afraid of people looking and I always give them the machine cause I don't know what to do at the gym. Is this a phobia thing? Does anyone else feel this when you work out?

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think everyone who hasn't become familiar with the equipment at a gym feels the way you do. We always fear things we aren't familiar with, and we also fear liking dumb.

But... Gyms are full of people of all body types, and most people have admiration for those working to better themselves. Anyone who gives you any crap is simply someone who is insecure about him or herself (regardless of how great you might think they look), and their comments are a projection of their own fears.

So... Just keep going, keep trying, and don't be afraid to ask for help. Most people will be happy to show you what's up.

3. iiimee

I know for a fact Planet Fitness is basically for the untrained, so you can go there if you want- don't grunt though, or you'll get kicked out. XD That's the number one reason I'll NEVER go.

4. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes I felt this way when I started but as I got more muscle I began to feel more comfortable... I'll usually wear a T-shirt the first month or so then tank tops...

I began going with my older brother and he helped me learn some of the machine. I also went with my dad who helped. Honestly, I doubt I learned them completely correct, but I try to be careful.

I know it's not necessarily easy to get over anxiety like that and maybe avoiding it isn't the best thing to do... but there's two ways you can avoid it :wink: 1. Go to a gym like 24 hour fitness that is open 24 hours, and go early in the morning or late at night when nobody is there. I kind of did this when I got back into working out a few years ago after a break... It's nicer anyways without the machines taken. 2. Probably the better option is to find someone to go with who knows their way around the machines and can show you how to do them properly and will distract you from your negative thoughts (I.e. That everyone is watching you when they really couldn't care less).

I haven't acrually worked out in probably 2 years so I feel this same way at the prospect of getting back in shape so I'm with you.

5. GingerBiscuit

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Gyms are places where people are viewed to judge everyone... making them anxiety provoking. I used to hate going to the gym as I was overweight and lacked strength and stamina.

People looked, however some of the men, who train in the gym regularly at the same time as me (and I mean muscle heads) took me under their wing and showed me the ropes, one even made me a plan, I've now dropped weight and feel stronger and fitter, and just hope that one day I can give someone the same confidence as they gave me in the gym.

Continue going and working out and don't be afraid to ask for help... it will only benefit you in the long term!

6. sartorious

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I visit the gym and get a membership for the first time 17 months ago and been regularly working out ever since.
    my only regret is i didnt start sooner

It was the same feeling like you have when i enter the 1st time.
    surrounded by meatheads, feeling stupid, everyone looking at you, dont know what to do, how to move correctly, how heavy should i life, how many sets and reps.
    And yes when big guy ask for machine i step aside and just give it because i dont know how to use it:confused:

i ask around and one of them actually became my workout buddy for my 1st 4 months.
    everyone have to start somewhere. dont be afraid to try and keep pushing yourself. yes everyone will look, but over time you'll see difference in how you look and became more confident and more comfortable with yourself. IMO that's the point of working out, being a healthier and better looking person.