1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

For those "later in lifers" seeking answers, research "effects of controlling parents

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by brainwashed, Jul 12, 2016.

1. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For those "later in lifers" seeking answers, research "effects of controlling parents"

Bingo! All kinds of answers.

Overview: I asked myself this question after concluding my mom was very controlling. Because I was "in the trees, I could not see the forest", meaning I lived with her, I could not see what was going on.

In my case, there are so many answers - new theories.

#1 brainwashed, Jul 12, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2016
  2. Zen fix

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Re: For those "later in lifers" seeking answers, research "effects of controlling par

Links? I did the search, read a couple interesting articles but didn't see anything that spoke to repressed or questioning sexuality.

3. Lindsey23

Re: For those "later in lifers" seeking answers, research "effects of controlling par

My parents were controlling. I've looked this up before. One thing I realized was that I was afraid to make decisions and afraid to try new things. I always felt like I needed their permission or approval to do anything. Looking back I can see how much I isolated myself because of it. I spent some time in therapy and that helped immensely. My therapist encouraged me to try new things and she didn't act like anything I tried was wrong. It opened up my world.

4. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

The search results were intentionally general not specific. And not specific towards sexuality which I think focuses one to think about to much at times. Example, the age old question some of us ask: I've cant understand why I did not know I was gay when growing up. I put myself through this question over and over and over.

When indeed part of the answer is, as is presented in reply post 2, "I isolated myself". This is a general contributor.

So I wanted to keep things general. I now really think, at least for me, there were a lot of general "off switches" that added up, not allowing me to fully understand micro signals my innate sexuality was sending.

And you see this is why it seems to be so hard to answer sexuality questions, like the one above, I cant understand why I did not know....... Ah you are looking for answers in the wrong place.

And this is the main reason for the post.

---------- Post added 12th Jul 2016 at 08:41 PM ----------

Bingo!

5. CameronMR

Not just controlling parents, but religion too