1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Bernie Sanders Endorses Hillary Clinton

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Libertino, Jul 12, 2016.

1. Reflect Manta

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    the value of change is on the merits of the result. Irresponsible change out of a perceived need to progress at all costs is just foolishness. if they can't predict or control it to make a conscious result, I wouldn't place my trust in anyone peddling snake oil.

2. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    All the candidates are advocating change; the conservatives just often advocate change back to a mythical time that may never have existed. At the same time, some of the changes the conservative candidates are advocating are quite radical (such as the so-called "Muslim ban"). Change for change's sake is not sound, but we also must recognize that many candidates promise a lot of change that they will never make good on. People always desire a change when the election comes up--time seems to stagnate during a presidency. It's always time for some kind of change in the minds of most voters.

3. Reflect Manta

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    to be fair, Muslims aren't exactly doing themselves favors in terms of public image right now. I wouldn't be accepting any specific group's refugees if it'd backfired as hard as the current set of incidences.

I tend to assume that candidates are lying for votes nearly all the time. The big change I suppose that puts me in the trump camp is that he's not a traditional politician(I wouldn't even call him something as foul as a politician). I'm banking heavily on his approach, as a product of his background.

4. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'll vote for the Democrats when they actually field a liberal candidate.

5. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank God. She won the primary fair and square and this endorsement allows the party to focus on winning government again. I'm glad he won the minimum wage flight and very vindictively happy that he was humiliated over his attempt to change the party's position on free trade.

Talk about the liberal purity of candidates all you want. If you want to vote to show how virtuous you are, rather than choosing which of the candidates you think would better exercise authority, then I will have doubts about how seriously you take government and how committed you are to progressivism in practice.

Those decrying Sanders 'joining the establishment' are fundamentally confused or just destructive, I think. You either want him to win, in which case he would become part of the establishment by the very nature of the role, or you want him to fail and fragment the left and stay pure for your own conscience's sake. Sanders sees that as an undesirable result; to fail to win the White House is far worse than compromising. I hope his supporters will share that view.

6. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not that his endorsement carries any weight at this point. He's convinced 43% of the party's primary voters to believe right-wing bullshit about Hillary Clinton, and has caused a sizeable portion of the party to sit around pouting instead of voting for our nominee (who, by the way, won fair and square). While many Sanders supports are falling in line, the same antics by Ralph Nader in 2000 cost Al Gore the election. Gore lost 11,000 votes to Nader in New Hampshire, allowing Bush to carry the state. If New Hampshire had gone for Gore, Florida would have been a moot point.

7. Synesthesia

Ew.

Wouldn't make me more likely to vote for her (if I could,) kind of lost some respect for him instead lol.

#27 Synesthesia, Jul 12, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2016
  8. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This. Just so much this.

9. AmyBee

What's he supposed to do? Allow Trump to win? That's like burning your house down because you spilled something on the carpet. Clinton is not the best choice, but she's a much better choice than Trump. A big deal are the potential two SCOTUS seats and I would much rather have Clinton nominating than Trump. That's the biggest issue in this entire race. Some progressive things happened and the GOP would actually swallow a Trump presidency as long as they can "help" him pick two justices to swing the balance back. Sanders has pushed the Democrat platform a bit more progressive, but even as unsatisfying as it may be, that's still preferable to anything Trump and the GOP come up with. For people who think Clinton is a warmonger who will have us fighting... maybe so, but she'll have us fighting and make sure women can still have a choice over their bodies and we won't have "creation science" in the classrooms. Under Trump we'll have the wars and then "marriage protection" laws on the state level will be upheld federally as well, there will be more of a slide towards privatization of prisons and schools, worse international relations even with our allies and a lot of racists thinking they have free reign to attack anyone they want. Clinton's not great, but come on, do you think Sanders would win running as an independent? Do you think the Libertarian Party... which is just the party of smug right wing white dudes who think they're smarter than GOP voters... is a viable alternative? That either of those have a chance?

Look, I voted Green in 2000 and that was a mistake. I'd rather make sure the absolute WORST candidate doesn't get elected by supporting someone who is less than ideal we can at least work with and who will at least tack a BIT more progressive. Trust me... there is no way the middle class or working poor will survive a Trump presidency. Not voting is the same as voting FOR him. Protest voting some teensy tiny party because you're unhappy Bernie didn't win out is the same as voting FOR Trump.

Bernie knows that. It's not a matter of "he put party first." He's putting not letting an ultra-conservative hatemonger in the White House as the first priority. Not letting the house burn down as the first priority.

And then we can clean that carpet.

Of course if you like tax cuts for the rich and you actually believe Trump's BS about keeping jobs in the US (they're going to go to China anyway and Trump will just rehash the "blame the unions" and the "greedy/lazy US workers" nonsense instead of blaming the greedy companies, and you're going to make less money and have ZERO collective bargaining rights), and you actually believe there's going to be a wall across the Mexican border and somehow THAT will keep the terrorists out, and you're also in favor of the Texas BoE deciding we all need to be learning the Bible and Calvinism in our high schools instead of science and the Age of Reason, then all bets are off. Go ahead and set fire to our house.

#29 AmyBee, Jul 12, 2016
  10. iiimee

You give me hope. I mean, I think "Bernie or Bust" is a little extreme, but I don't think it's extreme at all to not want to vote for Hillary or Donald. Both are horrible, disgusting people and don't deserve your votes.

11. AmyBee

I'd be in favor of that if you got 50 million to agree with you.

12. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is an excellent article on the sacrifice that Bernie Sanders made for his country (He was way too good for the Democratic Party, they don't deserve him). Clinton will be watched very carefully by the millions of people Bernie had the temerity to wake up. Uneasy will lie her head under that presidential crown (IF she manages to beat Trump: no sure thing). She will be held accountable for the promises she made in order to get his endorsement, not the least being free college education for families earning less than 125K...I don't envy her victory.

#32 greatwhale, Jul 12, 2016
  13. iiimee

I'm still almost certain that Trump will be president. Statistically, all the polls are in his favour, and it's clear that if you talk to strangers, a lot will be in support of him... unfortunately. Then again, I think Trump is less of a threat than Hillary.

14. purplewolf6

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I feel that Hillary is the evil we know and Trump is the evil we don't. Honestly don't think a Trump presidency is nearly as bad as people make it but we'll see. The debate between them should be a thrill.

Bernie said months ago if he doesn't win he'll support Hillary I don't know why this shocks people now? I hope he is that small animal on her shoulder guiding her but I think she'll do whatever she wants anyways. Not sure Bernie will win her respect but we shall soon find out.

That said I want nothing to do with any party but may the candidate that comes out on top do historic things for the better.

15. Reflect Manta

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would sooner opt out than vote like a regressive.

16. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    lol, big surprise social democrats betray the people.

17. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sooo we probably won't be getting a sane leader then. ...Fuck.

Wasn't really expecting it anyway, I know it's not always the brightest country.

18. EdmontonGaymer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It's too bad, I was rooting for Bernie. I hope at least some of his ideas stick.

And if Trump wins, I look forward to all the best Americans coming north. I hope we get a wall too, might help keep all the crazy out.

19. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think you've hit upon the reasoning for his endorsement.

20. Herbert

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've seen very few Trump polls that weren't from C- poll sources, such as Fox News, and his already poor poll numbers have been sinking ever since he said that a US Judge was 'biased' because he was Hispanic. That's disregarding the additional Republican bias that's been growing in almost all polls, given the fact that most of them are exclusively conducted in English. In terms of people who support Trump, I've met precisely one, and that's my aunt who was abused by her Hispanic husband. I reall can't think of a possible way in which Hillary is worse than Trump. I'm part of the Libertarian Party, so I naturally disagree with both of them on a host of issues, but Hillary has a fairly mundane level of corruption. Trump wants to impose impossible tariffs on world trade (tanking our economy), deport 11 million people (which will also tank the economy), and loosen libel laws (which will tank our constitution). Not to mention the sheer number of racist comments he's made, and his proposal to violate the spirit of several constitutional amendments by keeping Muslims from immigrating. Really, if I had to choose between Satan himself and Trump, I would choose Satan, and Hillary, however disagreeable you may find her, isn't demonic.

#40 Herbert, Jul 13, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2016