1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you have social anxiety?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by crystalbal, Jul 12, 2016.

1. JessieLately

Hi, I've been medically diagnosed with social anxiety and panic disorder since my 1st year of middle school. I will never forget "it" or what brought it all on. My life changed forever in such a crappy way that I shut down when I get overwhelmed shaky and I find it hard to speak. Plus here's a bonus cookie "I'm deaf in my left ear since elementary school. The Metallica concert was awesome but did I have to go permanently deaf for it? I would hope not but oh well.

2. someone29017

someone29017 Guest

I got 69/90 :/
    no official diagnosis, but pretty sure I have it merp

Talking to strangers is a huge problem for me, like it might take me 10 minutes to convince myself to order/buy something (on a bad day) from a stranger (if I have no friends with me for moral support). Talking to teachers too, even though at my school all the teachers are super happy to answer questions. Sometimes even friends (but not like super close friends) are hard to approach and talk to. *sigh*

on a brighter note, I gave a presentation in front of like 20 people yesterday and I think it actually went ok-ish :slight_smile:

3. crystalbal

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thanks for your replies guys :slight_smile:

4. MrSkittles

I honestly I do. I match a lot of the symptoms or signs of having it but have yet to get diagnosed by a psychologist

5. indeed28

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    YES, no diagnosis, but i find it pretty crippling sometimes its hard to get out the house

6. AnguishXx

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, expecially now that I'm questioning my gender, and sometimes I go out trying to temper my masculinity (shaving my arms, no beard...). I'm afraid that some jerks from nowhere could call me feminine or worse.

Also I'm making experiments, like painting my nails, and it's hard to hide it completely. Expecially the first times, when I'm not an expert... and I fear someone could see the traces and, don't know, have fun of me or even worse.

7. Quist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I got a 60 out 0f 90. If I had taken this test 10 years ago or more I'm sure it would have been 90/90.

8. DaniC

Yes. It was really bad for a pretty long time. I've had to work to deal with it. I almost said I've had to work to get over it but that's totally incorrect. I guess I have worked to find ways to manage it. But even if I put on a face and walk into a new place or are at a social function and maybe appear to be "normal," I'm usually pretty uncomfortable. There are still times I'll get to somewhere I was planning on going and once outside I'll just decide not to go in.

9. robotman

Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't... It really fluctuates with me.

#49 robotman, Jul 31, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
  10. logansarah

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm pretty sure I have this, though I don't show it. If I'm not entirely comfortable in a social environment and I'm by myself, like school, I'm bossy, but if i'm comfortable I'm quiet and I usually go with the flow.

11. ghostly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Yes. I've had it since I was 8.

12. BelieveinLove94

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I know I do. Talking in front of a crowd gives me anxiety, especially doing class presentations in college.

13. ABeautifulMind

When I was younger I would have scored much higher than the 57 I scored. I believe 50-70 is the average score you should expect here if you have Aspbergers and it is reasonably managed. My anxiety was significantly higher, before I got help learning social cues, controlling nervous ticks (stimming), and had a few other things to help me have confidence. For example I have a service dog that goes most places with me, and he helps relieve my anxiety exceptionally. I answered these questions as if he wasnt with me. If I answered where he was with me I would probably have gotten a score half that size.

All said, social anxiety disorder is most likely a side effect of Aspbergers. That is not to say that you have to have Aspbergers to get it, but if you have Aspbergers, you are probably more likely to have it. But the cause is completely different, with Aspbergers I think it stems from the difficulty understanding social situations/cues leading to anxiety.

Anyways, i really just posted because I saw someone talking about having Aspbergers and how they did on the exam. Wanted to compare scores.

14. AKindOfMagic

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have unspecified anxiety officially. But mostly in social situations.

15. AmyBee

I scored a 15 but I really waffled about the singing karaoke sober (I used to have to get ragingly drunk before singing with my band, but I think I would have little problem doing that sober these days) and dancing in a dark place questions (I love to dance, but the starting up part is still really, really hard). Years ago both of those things would have scored off the charts, though. Now I enjoy doing both but I still get a bit anxious when I have to. I think I'm actually a lot more extroverted than I appear and my partner is a lot more introverted. She functions better in social situations but she experiences a lot MORE anxiety about them than I do. Also, my job is very performance in front of people and more and more that's bothering me and causing nervousness. Before and after I'm a secret mess, but during I seem pretty calm. This is much less intense, though, than it was before.

16. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm more of an extroverted introvert than anything else.

17. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    48/90. Moderate.

18. Enjel

Enjel Guest

I have a moderate case of social anxiety. My heart starts to race when I have to attend interviews; I argue with someone; I meet someone new; or, give presentations and the likes. It's not to the point where I dreadfully fear taking these things on because I'm confident enough to expose myself to these situations to conquer my nervousness. Relatively, I can socialize with others; sometimes, I have to toughen up and dive right into it. I have a difficult time with eye contact too.

19. AlexanderDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    dear god yes

I cant even walk up to the counter to pay the bill at a restaurant without silently freaking out and tearing up

20. Gorgon

Gorgon Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Well I used to have it, I was painfully shy, I really couldn't talk to anyone and had no friends.
    When I was 14 it got so bad I seeked treatment (that was many, many years ago) and with medication (tranquilizers like Valium and Xanax) and therapy I got better and now I'm actually outgoing.
    Interestingly now, though I still have trouble with anxiety, my social life's now mostly stress-free.