1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Being gay doesn't define me"

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by sugarvenom, Jul 6, 2016.

1. FutureDoctor

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I do not think being gay defines me as a person. It truly is a small part of me. I think the point behind saying that to people is to get them to realize you are still human. Society makes a big deal about being gay etc and I think that statement really brings it back to we are all just human beings. I do not think that being gay affects my life more than who I am attracted to. Just the same way that being straight really only comes into play when you are looking for a girlfriend or boyfriend. Other than that, a person has many other aspects to themselves.

2. SpaceOddity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I totally agree that my sexuality doesn't define me. It just defines the gender I am sexually attracted to. That's it.

There is a thread right now that I won't name that seems to be a little bit offensive and it made me think if a straight person were to say "name reasons why you like being straight" they would certainly get flack from that from the LGBT community so why is it seemingly okay for our community to ask that question of ourselves and flaunt it like it isn't offensive because it is and it's hypocritical.

If your sexuality defines you, you really need to get your priorities in order IMO.

#22 SpaceOddity, Jul 9, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2016
  3. scxred

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I disagree.. being lgbt has been such a negative thing to be since forever.. you can't compare being straight to being lgbt.. Many people have been brought up with the idea that being lgbt is bad and sinful.. This is similar to why black people may have reasons as to why they are proud to be black as they have been socialized with European beauty standards and other things as a result of white supremacy. Similarly listing reasons why people like being lgbt combats internalized hate which exists in our community. We are allowed to be proud of who we are as we live in a very hetero-normative world where some people see us as abominations.

4. SpaceOddity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Totally disagree.

By overcompensating and purposely disassociating ourselves from society we're not asking to be accepted. That's asking to further be secluded and isolated in society. There's nothing wrong with being proud of who you are but when you get to the point of saying yeah well "yeah well you may be straight but I like this and this and this and this about being gay" you're giving the impression you think you're better than that person or that group of people. There is a way to go about it and making lists and comparing lifestyles isn't it.

5. iiimee

If you're gay, being gay does define you. Now, it doesn't define ALL of you, but by definition it defines you. If you don't want to be called gay, that's your choice, but I think it's silly for people to act as if the label itself is some horrendous thing. People complain about cis people not liking that label, yet they're the same people who claim that it's okay for them to not call themselves gay, trans, whatever other words define them. I think that if we're going to let some people defy labels, we should let EVERYONE define labels. Of course, not everyone will respect your wishes to not be called that, but, as the saying commonly goes, change starts with you.

6. IHateBeingGay1

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Completely disagree.
    It's ruined my life and made it impossible for me to have healthy friendships with other males.
    My family would completely cut off ties with me if they knew.

7. n3ko

I'm changing my answer to this.

8. VideoGameLover

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I want to become a creator someday. Maybe write books, make video games, make music.

But if I do that, I don't want people to only see me as the "gay writer" or the "gay composer". I don't mind being open about my sexuality, but I don't want it to be the only thing people see about me. I just want to be a "Writer" or a "composer" or a "game dev". I want them to be able to look past my sexual preferences and see me for the things I create... not who I want to bone in bed.