1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If you could with no repurcussions, would you change your sexuality?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Wolfwing, Jul 6, 2016.

1. Boudicca

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    All I'm saying is that I don't want to be romantically or sexually attracted to anyone. I crave those types of relationships, but I don't want to want that. I don't want to forgo all human relationships or anything, and I know that isn't what being ace-aro is all about. I know I'm probably wrong to think this way and I have some issues to work out, but this is how I feel about my sexuality at this point in time.

2. notmyfault

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Nah. Bisexuality all the way.

3. IamCasey

No I am happy being gay. It is the homophobes who have to change!

#43 IamCasey, Jul 7, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2016
  4. SnixxJuice

Never in a million years. I kind of like liking girls...

5. peterw78165

peterw78165 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Amen!

6. Royals365

Out Status:
    A few people
    Hell no! I love being gay.

7. iiimee

If I was gay, maybe. Being attracted to both genders though seems a lot easier in terms of finding a mate at least, so I'm fine with it.

8. VideoGameLover

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I love these threads. No, really. These threads are always interesting for me because they seem to pop up every once in a while, and every time they do, I get a chance to kind of reflect on the progress I'm making. Everytime I see something with the title "would you change being gay" or something, I ask myself that question and try to see what kinda reaction I get.

Back in the day (Or at least until the start of 2016), I hated being gay so much. I hated who I was. I was constantly crying and feeling sorry for myself. I was majorly depressed, had no self-esteem to speak of, and honestly just thought I had no value as a human being. I blamed everything on the sexuality itself (when in reality it was my family's rejection at fault) and swore behind the whole "If I could be straight everything would be so much better!". So back then, when these threads popped up, I usually said "Yes, I would change it".

--

But it's not so simple now. I can't provide a clear cut answer to this question because I'm not really that ashamed of who I am. I feel comfortable liking guys. It's been a really, long, and tough journey, but I'm starting to really kick those self-hating thoughts and the low self-esteem BS. When I do think about being straight, it does seem like a plausible idea. I wouldn't have to deal with society's oppression. I would have to deal with my father's rejection. I wouldn't have to deal with depression and low self-esteem. Sure, I'd just be a naive person who can't really empathize as well with minorities, but I'd not had to go through that painful self-acceptance road. Come to think of it, I'd be a completely different person with a completely difference personality if that were the case. It's almost intriguing to think of how I would have turned out if just one thing was changed about me from birth.

But at the same time. I started to crush and fall hard on one of my co-workers (who's bisexual, btw). And I can tell there's chemistry going between us. We watched TV the other day and started holding hands and such (we not even dating!). It was really romantic... and it felt... right. And I don't want to change that. It all feels so natural and... pleasant. A nice, indescribable feeling. Sure, if I was straight, I would be more than capable of feeling all of this with a woman. But I love this guy. And I don't think I want to change that.

--

Sorry, this turned into more of a blog than a quick answer. Anyway, my answer is "I don't know". As I progress along this strange road of discovery and self-acceptance (I'm moving out to uni in a month! I'll be free from my dad's influence so I might start to really get confident in myself!), my opinions on the matter might change.

9. HuskyLover

I don't think I would. Even though the thought of coming out in a very homophobic society where I live is terrifying, I'm proud of being gay.

From time to time I imagine how my "next" life would be if I were straight, and honestly it kind of makes me sad, because being gay is a part of who I am, and I like it.

10. NewHaircut

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I second that!

11. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wouldn't change: my sexuality is part of who I am. Having said that, I'd probably be a lot more productive if I were asexual.

12. NoXsOrOs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So most people...
    I would rather be str8; that way I'm not so attracted to everyone xD

13. bookreader

Out Status:
    Some people
    No, I love dick.

14. n3ko

hmm.I can't imagine having to like men.

15. Snow

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No, I love my balls dearly.

16. peterw78165

peterw78165 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Me too!

17. SmallSeaCat

No, but it is annoying when my mun says its a phase. I like being bi becausr i have twice as much chance in love :slight_smile:

18. Eleonora

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    No.
    Just realised it. Feels weird.
    If you asked me 10 years ago, the answer would have been "yes". If you asked me a year ago, I would give you a weird look and inform you that "I'm straight" (yeah, lol). Six months ago, it would've been uncertain "maybe, would be easier".
    But, now I wouldn't change my orientation or actually anything about me. Except anxiety and shame, and fear, but these things seem to flow away with each day I am out to myself, so I don't need magical solutions for that.

19. L0ser

I sent months agonizing over my sexuality when I realized it, and now two years later I've only come out to one person and still refuse to tell anyone else because my family thinks bisexuality is a phase and my friends are pretty homophobic.

But I wouldn't change it. I really do enjoy liking guys and gals, and pretty much anyone who doesn't strictly fit into either. Personality has always been more important to me than attractiveness, and not worrying about things like genitals makes it easier for me to focus on what matters to me the most. It's kind of tough, it'd be a lot easier if I was straight. Heck, it'd be easier for me if I was gay; at least then people would take me seriously and try to understand. Not to say it's necessarily easy being gay, but in my current position it would be.

But right now I wouldn't change my sexuality, because it boils down to "I like who I like, and things like gender and sex aren't deal breakers, but just another part of someone I could potentially fall in love with." And I've really grown to love this aspect of myself, even if certain things prevent me from expressing it freely.