1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oculus Rift vs HTC Vive

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by CoderK, Jul 5, 2016.

?

Oculus Rift vs HTC Vive

1. Oculus Rift

5 vote(s)
    62.5%
  2. HTC VIve

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
  1. CoderK

Which VR system would you buy, and why? Personally, Oculus Rift because I don't have the space or the computing power for the HTC Vive, and the Rift has better graphics.

2. Solid Snake

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    As of this moment, probably the Rift, just because it's less expensive expensive than the HTC Vive.
    When the price drops on both systems, I'll probably get the HTC Vive.
    Wouldn't that depend on the developers?

3. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Hey, when is this coming? I'm kind of looking forward to it. I mean, it's here, but it's mostly in, like, prototype form isn't it? I've seen people play it, but the graphics and everything looked like it was from the 60's or something.

4. peterw78165

peterw78165 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Please read the following in an old man voice:

"You damn kids, with your virtual reality. Back in the day, we had 16-color EGA graphics on our PCs, and we got by just fine. Get off my lawn!"

#4 peterw78165, Jul 5, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2016
  5. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Done. XD

6. CoderK

I meant that the resolution is higher and so is the refresh rate of the screen. Those combined make you feel sicker less and make it more immersive.

7. Lazuri

The Vive is objectively better.

The Rift might have been the first big one and proof of concept for VR, but you never buy the first of anything because it will always be inferior--it hasn't improved a lot over the years except in price.

8. peterw78165

peterw78165 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have two words for you people:

QuickTime VR

9. CoderK

This is a competition between the 2 second place ones. QuickTime VR wins automatically, this is if it didn't exist.

:lol:

10. EdmontonGaymer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So this gave me the kick in the butt to finally stop being a lurker and join already.

But the Vive and Rift have exactly the same resolution and refresh. 1080x1200 per eye at 90 hz. Whichever you prefer, graphically they are very similar. And the Vive is actually less computing power intensive, the Rift needs to use more cpu for its tracking system.

The only real difference between the two is price and room scale vs seated/standing.

In my experience, what keeps you from getting sick in vr is the movement. The way the Vive does it is much better. I don't get motion sickness often, but couldn't play the Rift for more than a few minutes. I had to take it off and I broke out into a cold sweat. I've had the Vive for a month now, and not so much as the slightest upset stomach. Even my 80 year old neighbor could use it fine.

I also had a lot of trouble with the Rift not fitting well over my glasses. They got stuck a lot making it uncomfortable and they rubbed up against the lenses, possibly scratching both the headset and my glasses after lots of use. The Vive on the other hand, fit over them perfectly.

All that said, I very much recommend you try before you buy. Either way they are expensive beasts that require even more expensive computers and I think the differences come down a lot to personal preference. But if you're happy with it, they're amazing.

In the end though, I have to recommend the Vive, because it can do seated and room scale. With the Rift, you might feel like you're missing out on half of what comes out for vr.

---------- Post added 7th Jul 2016 at 08:31 AM ----------

It's kind of here. In the good games, it's good enough to make you forget that you're wearing a big electronic brick on your face, if only for a moment. It's good enough to make me occasionally say "wow" out loud.

Right now, the lack of games makes it feel limiting. Hopefully that will improve next year. I can't wait for Fallout 4! If you're on the fence, I'd suggest waiting a year or two. But I'm not disappointed at all for diving in.

11. peterw78165

peterw78165 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Anyone remember the piece of shit known as Virtual Boy?

12. CoderK

Ok well now I feel dumb. :lol:
    But I have been able to put my glasses on with the rift and I haven't felt any sickness at all. Also, the Oculus and the Vive have the same recommended cpu, so yeah. Also, last but not least, the rifts controllers are going to come out soon and they are smaller and lighter than the Vive.

Also the resolution is 2160 x 1200.

:lol:

---------- Post added 7th Jul 2016 at 03:42 PM ----------

Oh god. That thing was horrible. My dad found one at a garage sale once, and he got it for me. I tried it once, never picked it up again.

13. EdmontonGaymer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    No worries CoderK, you might have been thinking of the specs for a Vive dev kit.

From what I understand, the sickness comes mostly from seeing everything move around you without feeling movement. It depends heavily on how the game moves the player. Games with cockpits (Elite, CARS, Hover Junkers, ext) work pretty good usually. But the absolute worst are the ones that move like a regular old fps, camera hovering 6ft off the ground. The Vive I think has an edge because it has the option of you simply walking around your area and the teleport.

The really cool thing they're working on are magnetic headphones which induce the feeling of acceleration in the inner ear. I can't wait to see how that turns out.

I really like the Vive's controllers. The force feedback gives the guns kick. While setting up the room, it feels like there's a heavy cord reeling out, complete with ratchet clicking. It's great at simulating a tool in your hand, gun, welder, sword, paint brush, because you are holding that sort of a grip in your hands. The devs have been really clever in using the controller's capabilities and buttons, matching them up to the virtual tools and weapons in the game.

I do like the Rift controllers too, I think they would feel more like "hands" in games where you aren't holding tools. (Job Sim, Final Approach). It's too bad you can't use both with a system.

But we'll have to see how much the controllers cost at launch, might eat up some of that price difference with the Vive.

#13 EdmontonGaymer, Jul 7, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2016
  14. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  15. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The HTC Vive sounds awesome but I don't think I have the space or patience to set it up, I hear the Rift is super easy.

16. CoderK

Yeah, my friend got one, and he got it setup in less than 10 minutes, not counting the software. Total, it took him about 30 minutes of setup.