1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When I like a woman, I feel the need to runaway. How do I stop that?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by caliwoman, Jul 3, 2016.

1. caliwoman

caliwoman Banned

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    I've been heartbroken by one guy before. My first boyfriend.

I've been heartbroken by ALL three of the women I've cared for in that emotionally intense way. I can't imagine how hurt I woulda been had those friendships actually been physical. They devastate and destroy me even though they are just emotional and I feel emotionally connected to the women.

My default mode, when I begin get close to a woman, is a feeling of a need to stave her off and eventually, run away screaming in the opposite direction.

I'm not fond of the part when I look forward to hearing from someone else. I hate knowing that I'm waiting and looking forward to a message from them. Im comfortable with the people I have in my life and I'm not used to anyone new.

The emotional exchange scares me. What if I grow close to the woman? I become very anxious once this begins. I want out. I want to run. I am scared out of my mind.

There are two reasons I can think of as to why I get this way:

1. Chicks have always broken my heart and those were just emotionally intense friendships.
    2. When it comes to women and my attachment to them, if I become close, I suddenly turn into a needy, insecure, jealous teenager. I don't even know where that comes from?! And I don't like it.

I just want to be normal. I don't want to run to protect myself. I'd like to stick around and see what happens when I don't turn into that needy, jealous, insecure teenager I so frequently have morphed into when it comes to the ladies.

I'm talking to a woman now and I actually kinda like her. And with that, comes looking forward to her emails and texts. And that right there, where I catch myself waiting- even though I don't mean to do it- really sucks and prompts those fearful feelings and the need to run.

Does anyone else have an idea of what I'm talking about? I can't run every time I feel I really like someone. I think with my husband, I chose the "safe guy" because men just don't hurt me the same way.

#1 caliwoman, Jul 3, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2016
  2. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It sounds like intimacy, particularly physical intimacy, is definitely an issue here - it could be from a lot of things. Negative thoughts/emotions from past relationships that you haven't processed yet, or part of the difficulty of coming out and confronting your own attractions in the first place (or both, or something else).

I would certainly suggest seeing a counselor, especially one who specializes in LGBT issues, who can perhaps help you work through this, and get a greater awareness of what's happening when you have these impulses to flee. In the meantime, try to just be clear about your expectations with women you're talking to. If you're not comfortable giving out certain info, meeting, or acting on physical attraction, etc., by all means say so. Feeling like you have to meet expectations will only put pressure on you and get you into situations before you're ready for, or comfortable with, them.

3. RosePetals76

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This definitely sounds like an intimacy issue that should be taken up with a counselor. I'm sure it will take a while to work through that anxiety.

4. thrashgal

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    story of my life, well sortof...ive been running my whole life from women..id like a girl and suddenly feel insecure like "shes too beautiful for a fuk up like me" ...it wasnt until this last girl that i allowed myself to sortof stick around and honestly it broke me more finding out that she didnt feel the same the whole time..i ended up running from her and now im at the point where i hate what i did so so much..i hate that ive been running my whole life...i feel like angry to the point of feeling like if i was just given one more try i wouldnt run..id face it all and shut my insecurities the fuk up...unfortunatly we dont always get that second chance, but atleast i kno where ive been going wrong so much all these damn years that when put in the same situation i would handle it differently.....its strange tho, i only feel this for her...ohwell...fuk it, i made a mistake and i cant hate myself forever, besides, at the time i didnt look at letting her go as a mistake, i thought it best for her cuz i was insecure and thought she deserved better and now that im feeling better about myself im wanting her back, when i guess thats just me being selfish...thats life tho right....my point was, dont end up like me, running my whole life and feeling the self hatred that comes from the guilt and regret, its easier to face what you want now and have the confidence to try and take it rather than find out later when ur broken as fuk kiking urself in the ass for letting that one girl who really meant sumthing to you go...

5. caliwoman

caliwoman Banned

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Thanks everyone.

I met a woman online and we get along very well. We had a bit of a disagreement and now she's acting distant and to be honest, so am I. But that feeling of needing to run is itching at me.

I feel like, this is going downhill, it's already hard, I dunno why but I get so over-emotional w/women and screw it up anyways, so what's the point.

I'm starting to feel like I want out. Big time. Thing is, I like her. I really do. I don't WANT that, but this anxiety and fear that's rising in me, feels the need to wanna run.

6. PlaidGlove

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Was the disagreement over something that is important to you? Did she behave disrespectfully towards you? Did she or you apologize for any wrongdoing that may have occurred?

You're going to disagree on stuff with everybody. That's a healthy sign that you're both able to express yourselves independently. The question is how the disagreement unfolds and what it says about you and her.

You could be running due to intimacy issues or you could be running because your gut is telling you something is wrong. The key to the difference lies in how you feel treated by her.

7. caliwoman

caliwoman Banned

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    I guess it was a minor issue that boiled down to a misinterpretation of a joke. The last chick I fell for was narcissistic/socio and I ended up with a grand old case of PTSD and I have triggers because of it. Mainly, I swore up and down after that all happened, that I would never chase another chick.

I joke around a lot and had asked her (this woman, not the last one) if she had kids, she said she did. I joked around that I couldn't be w/her because she was a mom (part of this was feeling major guilt, I had assumed during this time she didn't have kids) and we exchanged some emails back and forth. I joke around a lot and am very sarcastic. Sometimes, people have trouble deciphering if I'm serious or not, when I'm just joking (I should know this by now).

I continued to joke around and then out of the blue she said, "Okay, fine then. Goodbye."

And that halted the joking for me, like in a heartbeat. When I read that, I was like "Okay, I promised myself I wasn't going to chase a woman, so I'm out" and right as I was about to delete her emails, she sent another w/a meme that basically said she couldn't tell if I was serious or not.

After, I expressed that when someone says goodbye to me like that, I emotionally check out now. It was confusing because I was joking and it seemed like she was joking, then the goodbye from her. It was a trigger for me.

Now, I'm kinda unsure if we're cool or not. We've talked about it and both agreed what is a boundary for each of us and I may have triggered her by joking I couldn't hook-up because of the kids, even in jest, and we're trying to move forward but it's very different now.

And the voice in my head is see, this is difficult, it's too hard, it's already not working, I get over-emotional w/women anyway, what's the point because I'm going to screw it up anyways, I wanna get my ball and leave the game.

It such a fight or flight response. After she and I talked, it was like a golf ball in my throat trying to suppress the need to leave the situation.

I really do like her and it's like one part of myself has to talk to the other to convince me to stay. Other than this, she's been great in understanding my situation. She doesn't pressure me, she's willing to wait for my situation at home to ease up, she's emotionally available and we get on quite well. I really do like her.

#7 caliwoman, Jul 6, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2016
  8. caliwoman

caliwoman Banned

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Ugh, we've spoken every morning since we began talking. Now ever since this happened, two days in a row, haven't heard from her as usual.
    She'd usually tell me to have a great day and that would lead to other convos.

I dunno, but I feel anxious. Maybe I'm not cut out for this. I want to message her and tell her thanks for her time but that it isn't gonig to work out. There would be that relief of whew, this is over. But I don't WANT that. It's that fear/anxiety/voice in my head.

I'm not sure why I get like this each and everytime w/a woman. Ugh...

#8 caliwoman, Jul 6, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2016
  9. PlaidGlove

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There is one thing in your post that I think is important: The fear of two things, which I think are combined—your fear of getting ”trapped” by another personality disordered person and your own emotions.

Listen very carefully: You are not over-emotional.

I’m going to repeat that: You are not over-emotional.

There is no such thing.

People have emotions. People have varying emotional ranges and intensity depending on a whole host of factors. According to research on highly (not hyper…) sensitive persons (HSPs), some 20% of the population are somewhere on the HSP scale. With people on the psychopathy scale (1–4%) being on the other end of the emotional spectrum, that leaves over 70% of people having a different outlook on emotions than HSPs. The result: HSPs are a minority. Weird. Different. ”Over”-emotional or ”hyper”-sensitive when viewed from the perspective of one of those 70% and certainly from the perspective of psychopathic and other manipulative individuals, in whose interest it is to trigger the emotions of others in ways that serve them.

Emotions are a crucial part of our survival kit as humans, but when HSPs grow up among non-HSPs or worse psychopathic people, or tangle with them later, we learn to be ashamed of our emotions because we understand that how our emotions work is somewhat different from others’ work.

Here’s the thing: THAT’S OK. But research has shown that HSPs are more happy in relationships with other HSPs. Of course! Who wants to be in a relationship where they can never feel understood?

I would suggest that you read up on HSPs. I think you will find a lot of stuff that will be helpful to you. The key to enjoying life as an HSP is learning to handle with love and be compassionate and welcoming towards your own emotions, even—scrap that—especially the painful ones.

10. caliwoman

caliwoman Banned

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Thank you, Plaid. I'll def look into that.

God, I wanna run. She's the one who said "goodbye." Am I doing a disservice to myself by even hoping to hear from her again or am I being to black-and-white thinking and attempting to protect myself? I'm lost when it comes to that.

I can't chase anyone and give up my power that way again. Also, that feeling of not knowing where I stand with a person, in general (but especially after my last "incident), makes me fearful, anxious, and downright sick to my dang stomach.

Ugh...

---------- Post added 6th Jul 2016 at 12:16 PM ----------

Also,

I get too hopeful w/women. Once I like one, I become attached very quickly. I believe it's because there aren't a whole lot of options for a married gal like me. There have been a few, but when I finally get to the point of liking them, I have a tendency to put all of my eggs in one basket.

No bueno. I'm so new when it comes to this. It's soooooo not like dating a man.

11. PlaidGlove

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know how you feel. I get the same way. I do the black/white thing too once I detect rejection, like if she pulls away or something. And if I feel like they've led me on, I tend to get pissed off, when really I just get my hopes up so easily. Of course, they're unaware of my hopes and meanwhile the hope grows into a dream. And once you have a dream, you're invested.

And then I go, OK fuck it, I'm going to make myself vulnerable and show myself and say "OK, this is me. I'm here if you want to get to know me better and figure whatever this is out". The result is usually that they pull away. Then I feel like shit. LOL

Putting all the eggs in one basket is a good thing. It means you're capable of commitment and intimacy. It's perfectly normal.

Just cry it out when you need to. It's ok to feel disappointed and like shit for a while. It's ok. And then you find someone else to focus on.

Be vulnerable. Get hurt. Fall. Cry. Get back up. Repeat until success happens, which may be never. But that doesn't matter.

12. caliwoman

caliwoman Banned

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Thanks, Plaid!!

Gosh...this is ALL much tougher than I thought!!

13. PlaidGlove

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know. It sucks.

14. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've never been hurt by a guy, but I definitely get the "needy, jealous, insecure teenager" thing. It's what happens to me every time I'm around the guy I've been seeing...

15. caliwoman

caliwoman Banned

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Right, Cluster? It's like where the f-ck does that come from? It's hard for me to even see that I'm acting that way, because I feel like I'm just reacting.

In other news, I didn't hear from her at all yesterday. That was a first. We both agreed to move forward. She said she liked the pace of our friendship and our joking around and was hoping to put this past us, to which I agreed.

Before that, she said I ran hot-and-cold and we'd finally get to that next level of chatting, then I would push her away. Maybe I used her having kids as a mean to push her away. She had been great before that, before she said "Okay. Fine then. Goodbye." She was really understanding of my situation and where I'm at emotionally.

I think we triggered each other, unintentionally. I'm the one who emailed last, so I guess I'll leave the ball in her court. Right now my gut says I probably won't hear back from her, because it feels really different now. And that bums me out, because I've been looking for months and we had a lot in common.

#15 caliwoman, Jul 7, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2016
  16. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I had a similar thing happen. I made a joke about still being allowed to have women when we start dating....that went over about the same as your joke. We didn't talk for a day or two, then started again, but it still feels different than before....very tense almost, and we don't talk as long or as frequently.

Good to know I'm not the only one who has this problem. :dry:

#16 BrookeVL, Jul 7, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2016
  17. caliwoman

caliwoman Banned

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Cluster,

What are you going to do in your situation? Just give it time?

And that's all that you said? Geez. I wouldn't have been upset over that, lol, but I mess around a lot. Some peeps are sensitive, I guess (boo!).

18. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Basically yes. I'm going over to his house after work tomorrow....so we'll see.

And he did explain why he got upset, and it was valid, but I wouldn't get upset at that either.

19. caliwoman

caliwoman Banned

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Good luck and keep me posted!! :thumbsup:

20. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Definitely will!

I really hope she gets back to you Cali...maybe send he a picture of your boobs, I'm sure that'll make her come back.:icon_wink