1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are non-binary people trans?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Hats, Jul 3, 2016.

1. Hats

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I know this may seem a silly question, but I've seen both sides of the fence on EC: non-binary people who regard themselves as trans and non-binary people who leave the trans label for binary trans people only. Is it personal preference or is there a "correct" answer?

2. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    I definitely think it's a personal preference. I want to be as inclusive of non-binary people as possible. We have a lot in common, after all.

<(^.^)>

3. Althidon

I think it depends on whether the person identifies with the trans label, just like it does for binary trans people. Some binary trans people don't like the trans label because it implies they changed from one thing to another, and they've always been their identified gender. I don't see why it couldn't be the same for non-binary people.

Now, I wouldn't want to say that non-binary people have to "leave the label for binary trans people only." That does seem like a wrong answer to me. A non-cis person can choose to identify as trans, no matter what "flavor" of non-cis they are.

4. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It depends on the person. I know some non-binary people who do not call themselves trans, but I also know some who do.

I sort of see it as trans since transgender is an umbrella term that means a person who doesn't identity with their sex assigned at birth.

5. JustJJx

I'd say so yes. Like Matto_Corvo said "I sort of see it as trans since transgender is an umbrella term that means a person who doesn't identity with their sex assigned at birth."

6. MrSkittles

I completely agree with this

7. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would consider non-binary people to fall under the "trans" category, but for clarity I often refer to "trans and non-binary" as not all non-binary people consider themselves trans, and not all people in general understand non-binary as trans.

8. peterw78165

peterw78165 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In my view, technically, yes, non-binary people are trans. Whether they want to identify as such is completely up to them, though! :slight_smile:

9. Synesthesia

I think so but I tend not to label myself that way because some people take the distinction very seriously, and I feel like arguing about it is a waste of time. I'm not attached to the labels trans or non-binary.

Non-binary mostly works for me. Although, recently I've been wondering about trying to find a better term. There is this increasing notion that non-binary people are neither, or an other. That really doesn't apply to me or feel right saying I'm neither since I'm a mix of male and female.

The other problem with the label is that people usually confuse transgender with transsexual since most people abbreviate both to trans. Sometimes people use trans* though. It gets confusing for people though I think.

#9 Synesthesia, Jul 3, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2016
  10. Hawk

Admin Team Full Member Away

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree.
    I'd say yes since transgender is an umbrella term for those who don't identify with their assigned sex. Though some NB people may not feel comfortable identifying as trans.

11. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Off-topic, but it sounds to me like you might be bigender? Anyway, good luck in finding yourself and so on. : ) xx

12. Synesthesia

thanks :slight_smile: yeah I've considered that label before, but some things didn't quite fit based on stuff I read, though I may start using it I don't know. But yeah, I'm still working on labels lol :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

#12 Synesthesia, Jul 3, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2016
  13. A GayLesbian

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, i'm a non-binary transsexual, i wish i had an ambiguous sex bc my androgyne gender. I don't think nb people can be called transgenders, but they can call themselves transsexuals if they're not comfortable on their skins, like me. :slight_smile:

14. Austin226

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think this is where the * (as in "trans*" rather than just "trans") comes in handy. I think of trans* as more of an umbrella term that includes all non-binary, gender non-conforming people, etc. I tend to think of trans without the * as MTF or FTM, but I think it's really up to the individual whether they want to identify as trans or trans* or whatever label they want to use. <just my personal opinion>