1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Favourite Programming Language

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by CoderK, Jul 2, 2016.

1. peterw78165

peterw78165 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yay! Fellow DOS geek!!

2. HuskyLover

Agreed! Although I'm not sure if PHP is considered a "real" programming language, like C# or Java.

3. Tetra

PHP is a scripting language, so it is not compiled the same way C# and Java are, but instead uses an interpreter, which is useful for its main purpose of server-side programming.

In response to the question, my current favourite language is C++. While memory management can be annoying to get the hang of, it is definitely cool to have all aspects relying on your decisions. Plus, templatesssss.

4. NewHaircut

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    It's gotta be Javascript. It's event driven and Functional (perfect for both client and server use), dynamic, and although you should pretty much never do it, it can write and execute itself at runtime :slight_smile:

5. Awesome

In college in Massachusetts, from Pennsylvania
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Currently, I would have to say Processing. It is a simplified version of Java that is fun and easy. I made a drawing program with it this year.

6. peterw78165

peterw78165 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Everybody knows that REAL programmers only code in pure assembly. :slight_smile:

7. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The best word processor I have ever owned was WriteNow, which was a 1980s/early 1990s Macintosh word processor. (There was also a version for NeXT.) Mac WriteNow was amazingly fast. Part of the reason it was probably fast was because it was apparently written in assembly.

But...being written in assembly was the down fall, as it was said to be be too expensive to port when Apple moved from the 680x0 processors to the PowerPC. (Although I can say from experience that WriteNow did run nicely on PowerPC, although it gets flakier on newer operating systems.)

8. peterw78165

peterw78165 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm aware of WriteNow. I know it was really popular with Macintosh Performa owners since those machines were so underpowered.

I remember when the PowerPC chip easily kicked the Pentium's ass. Those were the days.

9. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The other good thing with WriteNow was how stable it was. That was the reason I got my copy: I started out with a copy of Microsoft Works. That was the #1 choice back in the late 1980s in that Works gave all the basics in one reasonably cheap (for that time) package. But my version had a charming little issue where it would sometimes crash after saving a document. Some days would be non-stop crashing... Imagine the fun of being a student, trying to get a paper finished on time, with non-stop crashes...

10. peterw78165

peterw78165 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Also, I remember carting files between computers on floppy disks.

They'd invariably break before long, and then you'd be royally fucked.

Also, the Classic Mac OS was pretty crash-prone. I still miss the elegant simplicity of it, though.

#30 peterw78165, Jul 10, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2016
  11. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Floppy disks weren't that bad. I had very few failures in the 1980s/early 1990s. It wasn't until later on in the 1990s that I started having problems. It might have been an issue with the computer at that time, but I wondered if the disks hadn't been cheapened.

The bigger irritation with floppy disks was the capacity. Particularly if one were creating a huge backup archive.

12. peterw78165

peterw78165 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Towards the late 90s, they started to cheapen out with floppy disks. Because everybody in the industry at the time thought the Iomega Zip disk was gonna replace the floppy as the standard form of removable writable storage.

Yeah, cause Zip disks were TOTALLY what ended up replacing floppies. :slight_smile:

13. CoderK

Yeah dude. Those things are the only storage units that are good. I mean, could you imagine if the Universal Serial Bus caught on? Ha, I laugh just thinking about it.

:roflmao:

14. peterw78165

peterw78165 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In all seriousness, a lot of people in the late 90s thought USB (which was just becoming commonplace at the time) would never replace serial ports, parallel ports, PS/2 keyboard & mouse ports, game ports, SCSI, and ADB (the port used for connecting input devices on pre-USB Macs). How wrong they were. :slight_smile:

15. rado84

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'm still at Programming Basics level (console programming) and I can't specify a favorite language cuz I know only one for the moment - C#. But I'm getting used to it and I think I'm gonna go on with it when the next term comes. Some say it's slow in performance but I still like it. Back in the days when I tried learning C++, I couldn't understand anything of it and now with C# I feel like reborn.
    I even managed to make a small program for personal needs, namely - for lazy searching in Google. As you probably know there are some sites that don't have integrated search engines and for this reason you have to type "search terms site:nameofthesite.com" in Google. But when you have to do that 20 times a day, it becomes annoying. Which is why I made this program. I believe an explanation of how it works is not needed as the image says it all:

[​IMG]

P.S. The FOR loops drove me crazy, though. Took me 3 weeks to understand the basic loops and I still can't cope with the advanced loops.

16. Geek

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Scripting languages are a family of programming language. Write code with logic to do a certain task? Programming!

+1 on this as well. I'm surprised that people on here would say PHP is their favorite. PHP gets way too much unnecessary hate. I like it because it's easy to learn, allows you do make web ages (which is the present and the future), is open source, and has a ton of different open source scripts available.

For Me in terms of favorability:
    PHP > Javascript > C# > Java > Python > C++ > Swift > every programming language ever > Ruby.

F*ck ruby. It can go to hell with its buddy flash.

17. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It's been years since I tried anything remotely resembling programming, and my experience way back when was pretty limited. But I really did like HyperTalk, which allowed one to program/script in Apple's HyperCard.

18. 3n

3n Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Javascript's pretty cool I guess

19. iquazz

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Well, I only really know moderate Java and the basics of C++, but so far I'd have to go with Java as I use it more and learnt it first :grin:

20. MrK21

Meh, I don't really have a favorite. If you can do a task in one language normally it's not that hard to do it in another. Lately I have been working with PHP using the MeekroDB library. Majority of my experience is in Java.