1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How many names did you try before picking one?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Glowing Eyes, Jul 1, 2016.

1. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Andd there are three that I really liked but dismissed because I knew too many people with the same name, some with negative connotations: James, Stephen, Eric. And two I have always liked but are too common, especially perhaps among trans guys: Alex and Tyler. Solid names though for someone of my age. It's just like as soon as I hear of another trans guy with a name I like I'm like Naw. Gotta find my own name. Nobody better take the name Patrick. You can be Patrick2 XD

#41 Rickystarr, Jul 20, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2016
  2. Space Cat

I honestly don't remember going through many names before settling on Johannes. At first, I'd picked just Johan, but I loved the full version of the name so much that I switched not long after. Friends whom I'm out to still call me Johan as a nickname, though. ^^ It has a fancy feel that I love, and believe fits several of my personality traits (such as my ridiculously grammatically correct author-speak), and it's the most similar-sounding masculine alternative to my birth name. Though other names have appealed to me, they simply don't click.

3. love dont judge

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've had two for my first name. At first I wasn't going to change it as Blake is pretty neutral though it leans towards masculine, I think. Then I decided I'd try out Celeste because I just love uncommon beautiful names like that, but it didn't really suit me well. My name I try to use now actually was found as a result of character research for a story lol. It's Luvina, which is a slight alteration on the Latin word Lumina. i love anything Latin, really, lol. I'm still stumped on my middle name though. My parents aren't reacting well to the name change, as I anticipated, so I had always figured I'd just add an extra l and e to my current middle name to make it Danielle. But I could also use my original first name, Blake, and I can't decide lol. I actually wouldn't mind some assistance if anyone would care to provuse any. Which sounds better? Luvina Blake or Luvina Danielle? My last name is two syllables and starts with a hard c, like a k. Thanks!

#43 love dont judge, Jul 31, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
  4. Kal

Kal

Out Status:
    A few people
    I entertained the idea of scouring through names a while back but I'm very much of the belief that if something speaks to me, there's a reason. Massively into graphic novels growing up and by proxy, superhero films. Superman was always my favourite and I loved Man of Steel with Henry Cavill and how he embodied the masculinity of the character. Superman's birth name is Kal El and he didn't discover that for a number of years (different runs and movies have different ages). So I figured, discovering my identity and real name was as iconic in my life time and settled on Kal. Also, it's not a generic type name and one syllable which feels very comfortable to me.

It was the first name I tried and I couldn't imagine being anyone else. Even my birth name feels foreign to me now. Writing it down on job applications doesn't feel right, because I'm Kal.

5. lnamae

lnamae Guest

love Gabrielle :slight_smile:

i was fortunate enough to have a gender neutral name anyway so I just shortened it to the even slightly more gender neutral version. If I had instead had my birth middle name which is feminine I may have shortened that too, to Nikk/Nykk or something.

originally, i was going to change my name legally to my preferred name now but all my uni transcripts have my old name(s) (last name has changed twice already) so i feel like it's going to be even more confusing for employers if i do... but on social media and whatever - the things that people see, it's my preferred. good 'nuff.

6. SystemGlitch

I started off using Sam since it was a shortened version of my middle name, but it never really felt good. I went through a lot of names in my head; Ryan, Christopher, Jack, and Zachary were the biggest contenders. In the end though, I couldn't pull away from Hunter - it's what my mom and dad were going to call me if I was AMAB. So, it felt right, and it's now my name and I'm so happy with it. :grin:

7. Blood Elf

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Zero, Jenna was always my favorite name for a female growing up, dunno why. I remember as a child saying if I ever have a girl of my own, that will be her name (although I do not want kids now). When I figured out that I was trans, it's the name I went with.

8. pastelwyvern

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My current name, Simon, is the only one I've picked, but I only started exploring my gender a few months ago, so who knows what'll happen in the future :slight_smile:

9. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was born with this name.

10. Ari B

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    There are only a couple names I've thought about: Ari and Isaac. I adore both of the names, and I don't know why. I picked Ari because I think it's really cute, I went to school with someone named Isaac, so that would be weird, and it sort of sounds like my birth name. I thought about making Isaac my middle name, but that just didn't flow right, so now I want to change it to Ari Logan.

11. AyaseKishimoto

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    When I was 8 years old, I decided to be Daniela... And as the time went forward I found that I always liked the name Maria (never knew why until now)...

I'm proudly Maria Daniela now.

12. MulticoloredSox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I halfheartedly considered Oliver for a while but it doesn't really suit me, so after a bunch of reading though name lists, I settled on Aidan. Still need to think about my middle names though.

13. Aberrance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I used a shortened nickname version of my birth name for a couple months before going straight to Isaac after looking over names for about 4 months. Still not sure it fits completely.

14. BethanyHome

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I went through the top 100 baby names from the year I was born and picked the ones that just felt right to me. I narrowed it down by removing the names of any family members or exes. That pretty much left me with 4 names. I tried each of them out for a hot minute, and am not fully settled on Bethany.

I tried out Brittany, Jessica, and Lisa with equal amount me of unsuccess (did I just make a new word). I had a few suggestions, like Brandy/Brandi (I didn't feel like my voice fit), and a few others that were quickly removed from the list.

Your name is what people will see before they even meet you. Our names are the meta-first impression. In the end, I was way more comfortable with the choices that I made than the ones foisted upon my consideration. After the first few suggestions and hurt feelings, I made sure to be the one offering my suggestions and trying out my new name.

Sorry if that last paragraph seemed a bit preachy... I just don't want anyone else to hurt friends' feelings like I did.

---------- Post added 2nd Aug 2016 at 01:45 PM ----------

I went through the top 100 baby names from the year I was born and picked the ones that just felt right to me. I narrowed it down by removing the names of any family members or exes. That pretty much left me with 4 names. I tried each of them out for a hot minute, and am not fully settled on Bethany.

I tried out Brittany, Jessica, and Lisa with equal amount me of unsuccess (did I just make a new word). I had a few suggestions, like Brandy/Brandi (I didn't feel like my voice fit), and a few others that were quickly removed from the list.

Your name is what people will see before they even meet you. Our names are the meta-first impression. In the end, I was way more comfortable with the choices that I made than the ones foisted upon my consideration. After the first few suggestions and hurt feelings, I made sure to be the one offering my suggestions and trying out my new name.

Sorry if that last paragraph seemed a bit preachy... I just don't want anyone else to hurt friends' feelings like I did.