1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How many names did you try before picking one?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Glowing Eyes, Jul 1, 2016.

1. Glowing Eyes

Basically as the title states. For trans people, how many names, and which ones, did you try or consider before settling on one?
    For me, I tried three prior to picking one. The first one was Eleanor, then I tried Margaret (which I now use the shortened version of), and for a really short while I tried Riley (which is gender neutral). I also wrote down every single other name that I even slightly considered but I wont post it 'cause it's just too long.

2. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I still find myself going over names and I like my current one very much

3. NoXsOrOs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I just used my birth name, "Gabrielle".. but I did want to change it to priscilla at one time..

4. Hawk

Admin Team Full Member Away

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The one's I seriously considered:
    Alexander (Alex)
    Thomas
    Jason
    Matthew
    Kaden/Kaiden

And finally I settled on Kade, though I'm still thinking of making it short for Kaden maybe. :shrug: Though I'm not too fond that the -aiden names have become very popular lately.

I could probably list more, but those are the one's I seriously considered.

5. irissakata

I think I went through about 2 names, because i first I liked a different name, but that wasn't really me. So then I realised if I only change one letter in my current name, I have a name I really like, and this name really grew on my already in my opinion (Iris) ^_^

6. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ones I've considered and/or tried, from what I remember:

- Alexander
    - Tobias
    - Oliver
    - Jesse
    - Andros
    - Holden
    - Aaron
    - Mason
    - Tate
    - Hayden
    - Cameron
    - Joshua
    - Erik
    - Hunter

7. glenriver

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    A lot:

-Rhys (a big one, but I doubted that people could spell/pronounce it correctly)
    -Evan
    -Michael
    -Alistair (don't even know why)
    -Alexander (in many forms)
    -Theodore
    -Glen/Glenn

And a lot more that I can't remember.

8. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I never really considered any other name than the one I chose now as my legal name. Every other was when I desperately wanted to be male and wanted a name to think of myself with. There's the nickname of my birth name, but it makes me think of my birth name too much and it's too short. The other one was the name my mom would have given me: Pierre-Luc. However, I don't like composed names, plus, Pierre is old as hell. (I know that my name is old too, but that's just too much xD)

My name's Theodore, btw.

I approve of your choice of names xP

9. glenriver

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Favorite president. Favorite author. Cute nickname. You've got it all.

10. XxAlexanderxX

Out Status:
    Some people
    I've considered so far Alexander, Jayden and Ryan. I'm going with Alexander (with people being able to abbreviate it Alex or Xander) and am happy with it so far.

11. AxxeMyrmidon

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The first name I considered was Soren, and then I used the name Kasim for a while. Now I'm trying to decide between the names Kasimir and Orion.

12. kobra kid

The first name I chose was Nic, when I thought I was agender...Then I realized I was trans and I was kind of in a name-fog for a while where I didn't really know. I think I was cycling through several that I can't remember before I settled on my current name, Ray, which has stuck for a while. Not sure if I'll ever pick a different one.

13. Kiran

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    None. I'm using my first name I picked.

14. AmyBee

I'm not sure, really. Two but there may have been others I'm forgetting from when I was younger. I know I called myself Trina when I was really little because one of my brother's friends had a sister with that name. Katrina. I just thought that was such a pretty name and she was like super beautiful so I used to imagine I was her a lot. That was the one time my parents absolutely balked when I said I was someone. They didn't care when I pretended to be cartoon characters who happened to be female. I guess that was too real for them.

Anyway, once I decided I needed a name it just popped in my head. I came out under that name and I had one friend tell me it didn't really fit. A lot of people gave me suggestions, which I really appreciated. I switched to a variation of my given name that had also been kind of a family nickname for me but I never really felt it. So I switched back to the first name I'd chosen. I like the idea of choosing your own name. It's very self-determining.

15. rolling orange

Out Status:
    Some people
    Ohh, many.
    - Patrick: My nickname in high school, but I never actually considered going with it after I came out as trans.
    - Lo: My first chosen (neutral) name, shortened version of my birth name. When I realised I was a guy I scrapped it pretty quickly.
    - Dorian: I went with this name for a long time, but when I came out to my family I decided to go with another name since Dorian is kinda... Weird. A lot of people still call me Dorian tho, and I'm quite fond of it so it's now one of my middle names.
    - Gabriel: Just a nice name I like, but I've never actually gone by it. It's my second middle name.
    - Alexander/Alex: I think I've settled for this name actually. My mom calls me Alex (when no one else is around) and some of my friends and their families call me Alex. I really like it!

16. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If we're going for a list

Alexander
    Asher
    Vincent
    Oliver
    Ryan
    Josh
    Matthew /Matty
    Killian -i still like this one-
    Dylan

17. randomconnorcon

I went through many, thought of even more. But here's the most important ones (the ones that lasted more than a couple of days).

-Jack (it's top of the list because it's the very first name I wanted when I was thirteen, but I didn't use it at all because it's my cousin's name, so I scrapped it straight away because I knew my aunt would freak out about it. I wish I could have this name and blame it for nine years of annoyance picking a new one)

-Henry (from thirteen to about seventeen)

*I stopped going by a different name, keeping with Sam - the shortened version of my birth name - until I was twenty and I came to the conclusion that my always wanting to be a boy might actually be a real thing and not something I imagined in secret*

-Connor (lasted about a year)

-Dominic/Nick (lasted a couple of weeks, then I went back to Connor)

-Ciarán (is still ongoing, I've been using it for a couple of months or so in public, chosen because it's Irish like my mum's maiden name and begins with a C like many other me,here of my family)

Alexei (the Russian version of Alexander, which I like a little more than Alexander because it sounds cool and is not as common, but either version can be shortened to Alex and Lex, plus there'd also be Xander, so I don't know which version I'd choose, if I even go with this name at all)

These are the names I've used. One other name I keep wondering about is Theodore (with Theo and/or Teddy as nicknames), but I'm not sure, I don't know how much my family might like it even if they do keep saying my name is up to me. But I related to a character of the same name a lot and then used that character to further explore who I was, now I love the character and the name, so I can't quite bring myself to scrap it.

#17 randomconnorcon, Jul 2, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2016
  18. Elam

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I first thought of Jake, however, after asking for an opinion on it I was told that it was quite common and that it didn't fit my personality, which I agree with. It's quite a sharp name. Then there was Jasper, but that's the name of a cousin, then there was Felix, which seemed like a perfect name for me, however, once again, the name was taken by my cousin. I then settled on Liam, a name that really suited me. Now I'm on the hunt for a middle name, as mine is wayyyyy too feminine...

19. BreakinDaylight

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I had the name Roarke picked out but I wasn't confident enough to use it so I used Romeo as a filler since my class was reading Romeo and Juliet so I could pass off being called Romeo as an inside joke.

I ended up loving the name Romeo, and it actually suits me quite well. I love the flow it has. :slight_smile:

20. randomconnorcon

Romeo is a freakin' cool name, man.