1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can a Kinsey 5 call herself a lesbian?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by sunnyskies, Jun 30, 2016.

1. sunnyskies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi all, just after some opinions here.

For years I used to (privately) think I was bisexual, but recently have realised that I have a huge HUGE preference for women, while the thought of being with a man seems kind of... inadequate. I think I might be gay, BUT the thought of having sex with a man doesn't completely turn me off (I haven't yet had any sexual experience with either gender). Every aspect of being with a woman seems infinitely more enjoyable to me than with a man, and I really can't see much comfort at all in having an emotional romance with a man, something would just feel missing.

I feel like I would likely most identify with being a Kinsey 5 (I think that's the one just before exclusively homosexual?) as, even though I respond so so so much more to the thought of romantic and sexual relationships with women, I'm not entirely positive that there isn't still potential for me to one day form an attraction to a man.

SO, what I would like an opinion on, if you wouldn't mind sharing your thoughts, is whether someone like me can call themselves a lesbian?

I have it in my head (whether correctly or not) that in order to be a lesbian you can ONLY be attracted to women, and must be completely put off by the thought of being with a man. Is this true? Or am I letting misguided preconception drive me round the twist?

Can a Kinsey 5 call herself a lesbian? Can she consider herself gay?

Your thoughts would be much appreciated!

2. guitar

I'm probably about a 5 - though other days I'm probably a 6, who knows? - and I consider myself gay. I can't see myself ever dating or sleeping with a woman again, so hence I go with gay. Remember, the term gay / lesbian just means a PREFERENCE for the same sex, it doesn't mean "under no circumstances ever." And besides it's not like you're trying to meet some arbitrary definition of a sexuality, call yourself whatever you want.

3. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'd think so anyways.

One could be technically bisexual, but homoromatic. Meaning you have attraction to both genders but can only really see yourself with a woman. Not wanting to date men, It'd be better to simply say you're gay so they don't get their hopes up, I suppose? I guess I'm kind of in the same boat for the most part.

As in, saying you're bi would attract both, while saying you're gay will attract members of your same gender. If you'd rather be with women, the "gay label" saves time. Unless it's one of those guys who "can change you" then there's no stopping them anyway and they're best shunned, I should know.

A little confusing but maybe something helpful in there, I'd hope?

#3 Kira, Jun 30, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
  4. HappyGirlLucky

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A lot of Kinsey 6 lesbians are not put off by the thought of sleeping with a man, some are simply indifferent to the idea. This is how they end up in straight marriages with kids and whatnot before they realize what is really going on. The real indicator is simply who you find sexually attractive, do you ever find yourself attracted in that way to a man? Do you ever see a man and feel an urge to kiss or sleep with him?

My personal opinion is that gay and lesbian are labels reserved for Kinsey 6s, but it is just my opinion. People pick whatever labels they feel comfortable with anyway. :slight_smile:

5. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am very sure that I am gay, but I'm not totally blind to attractive women. I can generally see what straight guys see in the opposite sex, but I've never had any desire to don't take it further like they do. Does that make me Kinsey 5... or 5+? :slight_smile: I would say so, but others may think differently.

Very few things in life are 100% and there is no reason to set such a high bar for our sexuality. I just don't think it's reasonable. We can set ourselves up for months and years of disappointment and misery if we aim for such a thing. Kinsey himself reckoned that few people were a perfect 0 or 6, so why aim to be the c.10% who are?

6. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think this defines you as a kinsey 5 though. Kinsey himself said that in order to be a 5, you have to be open to sexual activity with the opposite sex, but not in a way that would make you identify as "bi" (for example, prisons, same-sex school, a straight guy giving handjobs away in the locker room). If finding something good looking makes us a 5, then I am incidentally incestuous for admitting my sister is pretty all dolled up and not understanding why she doesn't have a boyfriend yet. But it just doesn't seem right to me.

I do think you can be a 5 and identify as gay though, sure. Sexual activity doesn't always relate to sexual orientation fully. If you don't feel that your sexual desires are enough to make you bi, then that is fine.

7. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

It's whatever label feels most authentic to you. Sometimes that can be hard because you may want to balance that with how others will understand the label. Labels are very specific in their meanings anyway, and can't ever describe exactly how a person feels. Only the person can do that.

And a lesbian can totally date a man if they want. If you like a guy someday, then that's what happens. That's the truth. You don't owe anyone an explanation. Just do you. If, however, you would be more comfortable identifying as bisexual then that'd be cool too.

Alternatively, you could identify as queer. I find that label can be good, if you like it, because it's an umbrella term and it can work for a wide variety of feelings and attractions.

Good luck!

8. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Evidently, a Kinsey 1 (or even 0) can call herself a lesbian. The question (other than why she might want to) is how you personally feel about the "misrepresentation", and whether you're ok with any impact that may arise down the road, if you get into a relationship with a woman premised on the assumption that you're a lesbian, and it needs to come out at some point that you aren't quite. Should that happen, it won't matter a bit what anyone on this site thinks or tells you. It's all about you and your choices.

9. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Of course. If that's what feels the best, then go for it. I would say I'm a Kinsey 1,5 ish, but I identify as mostly straight and bi, kind of - because much like you (though opposite) I feel like there might possibly be a potential for me to fall for a girl, and more probable still, that I might just fool around with one if the situation presented itself, but I'm in general not very interested in girls.

10. sunnyskies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks Guitar, it's certainly this notion in my head that the term lesbian/gay means under no circumstances ever, or at least that the potential to be truly fulfilled in a heterosexual relationship is nil. I suppose, like anything in life, its meaning probably varies a little depending on who you ask. I find it tricky as, although I feel like I should be comfortable not labeling myself, I have this annoying need to feel like I fit somewhere - to understand exactly where I fall on the sexuality spectrum, but then with that comes this fear that I'll label myself wrong and it'll just cause a bigger mess and confusion for me down the line. Its quite frustrating really as I know I should just feel happy to be me without having to categorise myself.
    Thank you for your input! :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 3rd Jul 2016 at 06:59 PM ----------

Hmm, thank you Kira, this is definitely food for thought. I hadn't considered that the label I choose doesn't necessarily have to exactly describe who I am potentially attracted to, but instead who I would like to have a relationship with. I also hadn't considered that maybe I could be a 'homoromantic bisexual'. This is an interesting title, for sure, if a little lengthy haha I'm not sure if this label would accurately describe my sexuality, but then again I'm struggling to find any that fully describe me! However I'm such an overthinker that one moment I think I've understood how I feel and then the next minute I'm questioning myself again!
    Thank you for your thoughts, they have definitely made me think :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 3rd Jul 2016 at 07:06 PM ----------

That's actually quite helpful to know, HappyGirlLucky, that a lot of Kinsey 6s aren't put necessarily put off by sex with a man. I don't really get the urge to kiss or sleep with a man; like I will see a guy and think to myself oh he's quite cute, but I don't really feel any urge to get physical with him. I had a boyfriend for a few months a little over a year ago and every time he went to kiss me it just felt so so weird and I just didn't want to do it. I'm not sure if it was the specific guy, or guys in general that put me off.
    With women I do imagine what it would be like to kiss them, and the thought is a very tempting one. I know for sure I have a preference for women, I'm just really kind of uncertain whether I have any attraction for men or whether society telling me I'm supposed to like guys in that way my whole life is obscuring how I really feel. Super confusing haha
    Thanks so much for your thoughts :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 3rd Jul 2016 at 07:13 PM ----------

Thanks for this bubbles123, I'm certainly finding that what other people define as lesbian or bisexual, and my own preconceptions about what these terms must mean, are making it harder to settle. You are quite right in saying that labels are quite narrow in their design and make a very good point about the fact a single word, or a handful of words, can't really describe a person, or an aspect of a person fully. Your advice has definitely been very helpful, so thank you for responding! And thank you for the wish of luck haha :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 3rd Jul 2016 at 07:16 PM ----------

Thanks biAnnika, this is actually really thought-provoking. Definitely something for me to consider, for sure.

#10 sunnyskies, Jul 2, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2016
  11. sunnyskies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks for responding Invidia. You know the crazy thing is I hadn't actually considered using more than one label! For some reason I have this thought that there are only three (socially accepted) labels and I have to fit myself into one of them; straight, bisexual, or gay. I feel like I'm far too gay to call myself 'bisexual', and that 'lesbian' doesn't allow for that uncertainty I have of whether one day I might form an attraction to a man. Perhaps for now 'mostly gay' is what I should describe myself as. Maybe once I've been in a relationship with a woman I might have a better understanding of whether or not I am not interested in men. I've heard this can be the case for lesbians who once identified as bisexual? I just hate not having a cemented idea on whether men enter the equation or not. All this wondering kills me, I just want to know already so I can settle in my own identity, you know? Especially because for the last five years I've been stuck in this 'okay I'm attracted to girls, but how much am I attracted to guys?' place. I just want to get to the bottom of it and be done with all this confusion.

#11 sunnyskies, Jul 3, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2016
  12. SHACH

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Hmm I think as someone pointed out, you could easily be a six. Thinking someone is cute can be quite different to sexual attraction and the latter is what matters here.

Sometimes I have tried to be diplomatic with calling myslef a Kinsey 4 but tbh I'm much more of a 5 I'm deciding. My problem is I get very very romantically attached to girls and not at all to guys, but I can get turned on by the idea of sex with guys. I don't know why because I'm not sure I even enjoy kissing them, but the feeling's really there and tangible so I can't call myself a 6 no matter what. I also find guys in life cute occasionally, but I never get crazy infatuated with them like girls. Thus, I see myself with girls. I can just imagine hooking up with a guy though. And sometimes I think I should stay open to a guy that might make me more interested romantically.

I definitely relate in this way to your idea of being too gay to be bisexual and too boxed in by lesbian. Calling myself bisexual makes me feel under pressure because people try to talk to me about guys and I do not care. Calling myself gay makes me feel under pressure to not feel anything about guys both now and in the future ever. That seems like too much of a commitment.

I'be decided to sort of forego labels for a bit, because I know I have to live to grow into one. Sitting here thinking is not going to allow me to magic up a perfect label.

13. sunnyskies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Oh my goodness, thank you so much for your thoughts Shach! It's actually so so nice knowing that someone else can relate to feeling too gay to identify as bisexual and feeling like they might not be quite gay enough to identify as lesbian. Your description of feeling under pressure with labeling as bisexual and feeling under pressure with labeling as lesbian is so relatable. I think ultimately I know that for me to find the accurate label for myself I do need to, as you put it, live to grow into one - find where I truly fit through life experience, so to speak. I just find it so hard to accept myself, to come out to myself, without knowing what to call this. I don't know if that makes sense but I feel like I need to understand myself and how I feel before I can really accept it, you know? If I really felt I identified fully with being gay I could say to myself "okay, I'm gay", and go from there. If I really felt I identified as bisexual I could say to myself "okay, I'm bisexual", and go from there. Instead I kind of feel like I'm stuck in this uncertainty and confusion and its holding me back from accepting myself. And if I struggle to accept myself, how can I come out to others? How can I live an authentic life?
    Does that make sense?

14. LooseMoose

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Some lesbians are VERY hung up about anyone who has some attraction to the opposite sex, calling themselves lesbian.

Some bisexuals are somehow hung up about people who broadly fall under the bisexual umbrella calling themselves gay.

But - "Kinsey 5" means so many different things to different people- in one case it might mean that the person experiences very rare, but equally strong attraction to the opposite sex (bisexual), and at other cases it can mean that the person is gay, but just has not really abandoned the idea of maybe one day being open to an opposite sex relationship.

It depends on the person and their sexuality which label is accurate for them.

15. Invidia

Invidia Guest

SHACH and sunnyskies, the three of us sound quite alike, I think (though I'm into guys rather than girls). :3

And yeah, sunny, I've used kind of bi or straight kind of interchangeably, kind of depending on the circumstances... it's weird... XD On like, FB and stuff, though, I put "interested in men", and I'm not really interested in dating women.

16. SillyGoose

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm between 5 and 6 but I, Gay for simplicity

17. Invidia

Invidia Guest

So yeah... I guess saying straight really makes more sense for now, at least until I'm sure whether I'm genuinely into girls or not. ^^

---------- Post added 3rd Jul 2016 at 04:22 PM ----------

Why not fabulous though? <3 The rainbow unicorn army needs more rainbow soldiers at the front to further the gay agenda combat the forces of darkness.
    :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

18. SHACH

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    No probs, mate. I'm glad you can relate to my descriptions and got something out of it. I get that weird feeling of not quite being able to accept it without a label. I find you need to put yourself into the mindset of trying consciously not to overthink things. Of course it will happen occasionally but try to chill out.

What I do find problematic however is that I don't know how to come out and that makes me feel sort of anxious. But I cant help you there, cos I really have no idea what to do about that. Let's see if anyone else has input for us on that.

I mean, I'm sure some people would be fine with me saying I'm not sure which label I am but someone like my mother would take that confusion as something that invalidates my feelings for girls because I'm " just confused". I'm not confused about whether I have feelings for girls, just how I want to express that. Tbh I'm more confused about guys.

19. sunnyskies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This is me to a 'T', though I think my parents would probably have whatever reaction they are going to have regardless of what label I decide (or don't decide) to put on it! I hope we manage to find a way to come out eventually - I totally get the anxiety involved, particularly because it sounds like you're in much the same situation as me as to the confusion around how we feel about men. Thank you so much for all your input Shach, it's made me feel not so alone knowing there is someone going through something very similar to me at the moment x

Thanks also to everyone else for their input, I really appreciate it! (*hug*)

#19 sunnyskies, Jul 16, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2016
  20. Sayonara

Sayonara Guest

Id consider myself a 5.5, and still call myself a lesbian. Despite my VERY minor interest in guys (yuck) Id never date them or have anything to do with them in real life.