1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What would YOU do in this scenario?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Lawrence, Jun 28, 2016.

?

What would YOU do in this scenario?

1. Don't tell him anything. Pay 15 dollars for the cards

40 vote(s)
    67.8%
  2. Tell him the truth. Then leave

19 vote(s)
    32.2%
  1. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would buy them for $15. The seller should have done a bit of research to see what price range they should have sold them for, so I wouldn't feel that bad.

I actually found a few underpriced sad irons at a yard sale once and bought them :$

2. Night Rain

I'd tell him. I've done this before but of course it wasn't $1000 worth. I would feel terrible for being an opportunist, so I'd rather lose the chance to make a big profit than regret doing something "bad" for the rest of my life. I can always make money, but I could never undo something like that.

3. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would probably tell him how much they're really worth, because I would be surprised and want to know if he realizes how much they're actually worth. It might make him happy to know, too, and he'd probably be grateful towards me. ^.^ It'd be interesting to see his reaction!

Maybe it's a silly choice since I wouldn't get anything out of it, but it would probably be my first reaction, so... yeah, that's probably what I'd do.

4. idcidc

I'd buy them for 15$ and I wouldn't even have a second thought about it.

5. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    I'm not the kind of person whose conscience would allow me to do such a mean thing to him... I wouldn't just buy them like that. I would mention that he could get more for them (if I knew he could, of course; in reality I know next to nothing about playing cards), and take it from there. Maybe he just wanted them sold quickly, I don't know. If I wanted them, I'd offer to pay more for them. If I was feeling unsure and insecure about whether or not the price was reasonable, I'd likely abandon the idea of buying them at all, but maybe just tell him quickly that they're underprized.

6. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would pay the $15. Sure it may be selfish and taking advantage of someone but it's an easy way to make money and you gotta survive somehow in this world.

7. idcidc

Yeah, honestly I'd do much worse shit for less money.. this seems easy as pie.

8. PrettyinPunk

I'd pick the first option but with a twist. I'd buy the cards for $15 sell it for full value then give a portion back to the original seller. This way I get a higher profit but so do they. My morality is spared enough in this scenario.

9. eMei

I need the money, so the first option.

10. AmyBee

It would make me feel really weird and sad for them, actually. I'd like to think I'd tell them, even if it meant passing up my own opportunity to make bank off the card. But I don't know. Other than I would really squirm over it.

11. UncertainTea123

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    My conscience is too loud to just take the 15$ knowing that they are worth that much more. If anything, if this really happened I might, instead, buy them at $15, sell them for the $1000, and leave a generous + anonymous gift in his mailbox. That seems more fun anyway.

12. ThatBorussenGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'd buy them for $15. My family is hard up for money sometimes; there's six of us in this house. If I knew that $1000 I'd get off re-selling those cards would help, I'd do it without thinking twice about it.

(And I'd keep a little something for myself. I don't like being broke, either.)

13. Kellian

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I would pay the $15. I'm broke and need money it's not my fault. It's the way of capitalism.

14. someone29017

someone29017 Guest

I'd tell him. I wouldn't be able to pay $15 for them, knowing they are worth way more, without feeling guilty about it for the rest of my life. It would become one of those things I think about and immediately feel horrible about.

15. Zen fix

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    There's a few variables that I would take into account but generally at garage sales you should be making an offer less than asking. $10 would be more than fair and I'd expect him to counter with $12 or $13.

I this day and age there's almost no excuse not to find out the value of something like this. But if the kid were young I might tell the parents that they need to pull the cards and find out the value, then give them my info if they'd like to make me a new offer. Or if the people appeared to be poor or less tech savvy then I would probably say something to them.

16. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    To be completely honest, I would probably not even realize that they were rare because I don't know all that much about the value of trading cards, so I wouldn't have paid them very much attention to start with. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

But to be honest, I'd probably keep a straight face and buy them. I've yet to come across this situation yet in any of my personal collections, but I do have a bad habit of doing the right thing before I can think otherwise. So I don't know.

#36 AwesomGaytheist, Jun 30, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
  17. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

I've thought about a similar scenario before actually. I think I would let them know, or if I wasn't entirely sure about the worth I would buy them, get them appraised/look it up, then discuss money with them, in which case I'd be willing to give them all the money or split it or something.