Confusion

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by JaidenAnonymous, Jun 28, 2016.

1. JaidenAnonymous

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Whenever I feel strong discomfort, I find ways to express myself...
    And then I stop feeling any form of anything, so I stop doing things.
    And like a week later it starts over again

Sorry if I explained this badly, it's difficult to explain.

2. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

By that, do you mean you're numbing your feelings? What kind of ways do you express yourself that affect you like that?

3. JaidenAnonymous

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
  4. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

Well sometimes, when you're really down and feeling hopeless, it's best to do whatever you need to in order to feel better, even if it's something that results in numbed feelings or isn't seen as the healthiest approach. But in the meantime maybe you should look into other ways to help yourself feel better. These ways might not seem to have long-lasting effects right away but in time they may help, and produce better results. Maybe looking into things like mindfulness or talking to someone more or journaling regularly, perhaps talking to a therapist about your feelings more could really help. I know those all sound like things that wouldn't work well, but overtime doing things like that can have a big impact on how you feel overall and how you're able to approach your feelings. Everyone's different and it's worth giving things a try if you want to start changing the way you feel your emotions.

I remember this quote I heard somewhere, that you can't selectively numb your emotions, meaning you can't just numb sadness, or anger without numbing be all your other emotions too like joy. Now this is more true about using temporary fixes to get rid of bad emotions. That's why working on other approaches to helping you feel better can be more beneficial.

I hope this helps and I wish you the best.