1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News The UK's new PM - the options (gay perspective)

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by 741852963, Jun 28, 2016.

1. LiquidSwords

I've never voted con and probably never will, let alone ukip.. but at this moment in time there is zero chance of me voting labour either and from speaking to like minded people I know there's a pretty big boat full of people who feel the same way and are very frustrated at the lack of viable con opposition. When every single labour grandee to give their opinion of corbyn says that he's unelectable it's not because of some sinister ulterior motive, it's because they know what they're talking about and he is

He definitely is oldschool labour hard left. Frankly it would terrify me to have him in charge of our economy and our foreign policy

I live with a couple of big corbyn fans and it's the most frustrating thing. I honestly feel that these people would rather a puritan labour in opposition so they can bitch about "tory cunts" in government than compromise the smallest amount so they might actually have a chance of displacing those same tories. The problem is not even that these people are refusing to be pragmatic about getting labour into government - it's like that's not even their end goal.. it's so depressing to see this mindset up close

2. Calf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can't imagine anything worse. I don't know of any specific support group or helpline but if it gets too bad you can always call the Samaritans. :grin:

I'm an ex-liberal, ex-(new)labour, current Tory. I firmly believe in keeping an open mind when it comes to who gets my vote but with crazy Corbyn and Tim Farron leading the traditional English 'opposition' parties, I can't see a good/safe reason to switch my vote.

With Corbyn as Prime Minister we would probably end up suffering the same fate as Crimea.

3. 741852963

So it has been confirmed today we will have a second female PM.

Either Theresa May or Andrea Leadom.

Today Andrea Leadsom confirmed she was against the gay marriage law (and presumably still is):

Andrea Leadsom: I didn't like gay marriage law because it hurts Christians, admits Tory contender to be PM | UK Politics | News | The Independent

So essentially going down the "religious freedom" argument, with no regard for the "very clear hurt" caused to many gay people and gay Christians who wanted an equal marriage.

And no I don't accept the argument making heterosexual civil partnerships a reality instead would have been "equality". Doing that would still ring-fence actual marriage as a divine and protected institution (and the purest form of marriage), and it promotes the idea that opening up marriage to gay people ruins this purity, degrades it, or makes it less special which is an idea based in homophobic origins.

4. RGEm

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Apparently marriage was around before Christianity even existed, so why should we even care if Christians feel hurt by it? What about gay couples? What if they feel hurt about it, or do we just not matter as much or something? Plus why should people who are of other or no faiths have their right to be married be affected by a different faith that's not their's?

#44 RGEm, Jul 7, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2016
  5. 741852963

Exactly, Christianity (and any religion for that matter) is a voluntary "lifestyle choice", so if Christians are upset or hurt they are ultimately choosing to be upset based on the free choice to follow a specific set of beliefs. Gay people on the otherhand don't have the option to just choose not to be gay and go along with what these Christians want.

Leadsom has caused further controversy in the last few days with a sideways attack on Theresa May being childless. She alleged she was misquoted until voice recordings proved exactly what she had said:

In other words she is saying anyone without children (and by that including most gay people) is unfit to run the country.

Do I as a childless gay person feel unfit to ever be in a position in politics, government or civil service? Do I not have a stake in the country because I don't have kids?

I think that is disgusting. And besides, her presumption that her children will have children? What?! So her children cannot possibly be gay and not want kids, infertile, or just not want kids in general?

---------- Post added 10th Jul 2016 at 04:12 AM ----------

Agreed.

I cannot vote for Corbyn. He talks a lot about ideals and inequalities that need tackling, but I have yet to see any evidence of him proposing doing anything. He is just weak.

Does that make me a "Blairite" as suggested by the Twitter Corbyn followers? No, I think that old way of Labour politics was equally flawed.

We need a middle ground. Neither the old frontbench style, nor Corbyn's equally old-fashioned style either.

#45 741852963, Jul 10, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2016
  6. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    #46 Aussie792, Jul 11, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2016
  7. n3ko

may the universe have mercy on us.

8. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It's a good thing we voted for Brexit and took back control of our country from unelected politi...Oh.

#48 GeeLee, Jul 11, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2016
  9. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, Theresa May's got it: she starts tomorrow evening. Personally I think a general election would be a good idea, especially as the Tories wanted one when Gordon Brown got in. I'm not overly happy because she was a remain supporter. As Home Secretary she didn't do a good job of cutting down immigration figures, not that she'd be able to do that whilst inside the EU.

10. 741852963

I think May will likely strengthen Conservative voting figures, as she seems to fit what a large number want: right-wing yet not raging maniac. "Right-wing lite". I'd say this probably the final boot to Corbyn and the hopes of a Labour win in 2020 short of anything dramatic.

In other news we have Angela Eagle running for Labour.

It would be interesting to see a gay leader of the party in the country (possibly even becoming the PM), although that would never be enough alone to sway me.

What would sway me is her looking like freakin' Brienne of Tarth which is pretty badass:

[​IMG]

I don't think she has much hope in hell though, as she seems pretty unpopular from what I can gather, and whilst they definitely don't make a majority view across the country or Labour voters, Corbyn supporters definitely seem to hold a majority within registered Labour supporters who are the ones who will vote.

That's the thing that made me laugh about many Leave voters I spoke to.

"If we leave the EU we will get rid of undemocratic rulers have our sovereignty back"....says the country who voted against a more democratic voting system in 2010, has managed to elect a cabinet full of people from the same school, and has been moaning about every non-EU related issue without resolve.

11. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Theresa May: The foreign policy leanings of Britain's new PM

Anyone interested in British foreign policy might find this profile a decent read. More or less it can be summarised as saying that May will be unimaginative, but not incompetent, when it comes to foreign policy, with a focus on immigration and counterterrorism due to her tenure as Home Secretary, and will likely outsource decision-making on most foreign policy to whomever she appoints as Foreign Secretary.

12. RGEm

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Boris Johnson has been appointed to be Foreign Secretary, so that's going to end well :rolle: And here I was celebrating from when he stepped down from being PM...

13. 741852963

I'll just leave this here:

[YOUTUBE]iDJWkS2A9T0[/YOUTUBE]

"Oh isn't he a funny buffoon!"

Errm no actually, he's a sly and nasty thug.

So the guy now controlling the MI6 and handling foreign negotiations is one who things nothing of disclosing private data, and encouraging violent and criminal acts. Reassuring isn't it?

#53 741852963, Jul 14, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2016
  14. RGEm

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
  15. radicalmuffins

Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't like May and her recent decision to appoint an ape as foreign secretary is very unappealing and very disappointing. The new PM is scheduled to meet with the Scottish first minister soon. I hope something good will come out of it but I really do doubt it. In a kind of twisted way, I want them to mess it up and dissatisfy the people of Scotland even more.

Although I don't want a second referendum to be held so soon (all these referenda just seem to expose how deeply divided our country is), Scotland should just leave the UK. I don't see why the UK government wants to hold on to Scotland when there is an obvious conflict of interest. What I don't understand is how people think that leaving the UK would be Scotland's ruin. It might take a while for Scotland to recover but I think it's better for the country in the long run.

People believed that if we went out of the EU, it would lead to a more prosperous UK. Some have even expressed that we might be poorer in the short term but we could easily bounce back up and become "great" again. If these things were true then why can't Scotland leave the UK? We'll be a wee bit poorer after the whole thing but I think we can make a decent economy.

16. RGEm

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    A lot of people in Scotland are already pissed as well. I know a lot of people who were old enough to vote at that time who voted to stay with the UK so we could stay in the EU. Then for the EU referendum the majority of people voted to stay in the EU (all regions voted remain), but because of the rest of the UK, we ended up leaving as well :rolle:

17. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    [​IMG]

Countries in red are places Boris has offended

#57 GeeLee, Jul 14, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2016
  18. RGEm

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual