1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News The UK's new PM - the options (gay perspective)

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by 741852963, Jun 28, 2016.

1. 741852963

Just thought I'd put this as a topic now it is inevitable, and ties in with LGBT news.

Of course their is an impending Conservative party leadership battle following the announcement that David Cameron will be stepping down. This means there will a new UK PM, potentially for up to the next four years (if a general election isn't called in the meantime, which I don't believe is possible any more due to legislation change).

Now the Conservative party has been renounced for homophobia, (ironically David Cameron being quite liberal on this front). The options moving forward have some rather poor track records on this:

Boris Johnson - The favourite to win. Famously supported Section 28, legislation that banned schools from teaching or "promoting" homosexuality. He has also been critical of gay marriage arguing it will lead to "two men and a dog" being allowed to marry. I think this video sums up his viewpoint well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNLeRuW96cY

Theresa May - Also has strong odds of winning. Has historically voted against gay adoption, voted against Section 28s repeal, and equal ages of consent. After facing a lot of criticism, she has since mellowed and recently voted in favour of same-sex marriage.

Stephen Crabb - And now for a worrying one! One of Stephen Crabb's aides was connected to a "Gay Cure" lobby group who were slowly infiltrating the party. Most MPs connected distanced themselves from the group (CURE), but Crabb has said nothing. He has also voted against same-sex marriage. He's a handsome bugger though, I'll give him that (what? I have issues, I know). Stephen Crabb, New Work and Pensions Secretary, Under Pressure Over Links To LGBT 'Cure' Group

Michael Gove & Jeremy Hunt - relatively gay-friendly, and that's about all the good one can say

Nicky Morgan - voted against gay marriage but would "now change her mind" (after being criticised of course)

Sajid Javid & Preti Patel - Two religious candidates (the former Muslim, the latter Hindu). Sajid has been fairly gay-friendly voting in favour of gay-marriage. Preti on the otherhand is the exact opposite, she is very conservative voting against gay-marriage and has indicated she is pro-death penalty!

Liam Fox - Definitely pretty anti-gay, claiming same-sex marriage is "social engineering" and "not a priority". He has had his sexuality questioned in the past so this might be a case of defensive homophobia.

And finally:

Whilst she has not officially declared she is running, there is the only gay person to be mentioned: Ruth Davidson. A kickboxer in a lesbian relationship, which probably automatically makes her the most interesting and human Conservative politician ever. Pretty liberal (as I suppose can be expected), and she does always appear in brilliant photo-ops. With Scotland wanting to leave she could be a good anchor, although odds of her becoming PM is slim. She is pretty young (37) which will only stand against her.

#1 741852963, Jun 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
  2. Capricorn98

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    definitely not the religious ones.

3. SillyGoose

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I quite like Gove

4. 741852963

I think Stephen Crabb is probably the most religious mentioned. He's mentions how Christianity defines he views, when really you'd hope for a PM with their own viewpoints based on real life, not a faith system! He's not had the most privileged starts so that's probably accentuated the reliance on faith as a support.

He's also blamed secularism in the State of causing extremism (yup, not religion's fault!).

He and Boris are who I'm most worried about, as if either become PM I don't think the LGBT community will be fairly represented at all over the coming years.

#4 741852963, Jun 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
  5. Aberrance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah quite liked him when he fucked over our schools and nearly ruined my education. If Gove gets into power then our education system is going to be run into the ground.

I'm definitely in favour of Theresa. She seems to be the only feasible candidate right now. If Johnson gets into power I give up on our country.

6. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This... looks pretty bad. Almost bad enough to be a US election.

7. RGEm

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I wish we could just stay in the EU:tears: from what I heard, PMs are often crap anyway (at least people are always moaning about them, tbh I don't really know much about this, I only really keep track with the EU referendum and the Scottish independence referendum). However Ruth Davidson sounds interesting from the way you've described her, and she's pro-LGBT, which is obviously pretty important to me.

8. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Ruth Davidson photo ops are the stuff of legend up here -

[​IMG]

Well liked too and ran an excellent campaign that accepted they weren't going to overhaul the SNP's lead and set about beating Labour to second place instead. Considering where the Tories were when she took over she's done an incredible job.

Only problem she has is she's not an MP therefore has no right of entry into the Commons. Someone will doubtless say that she could get elected leader then wait for a seat to open up. However Labour tried that with Jim Murphy and Scottish Labour (the kind of thing Johann Lamont complained of when she quit) and it backfired spectacularly. Murphy lost his seat in the General Election last year and ended up resigning as leader of Scottish Labour :eusa_doh:

While I'm here, compare the political situation south of the border to north of the border. It's all very calm and orderly up here while down south everyone is running around like headless chickens. Sturgeon's the only party leader who doesn't look like she's making it up as she goes along too.

9. RGEm

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I wonder if Scotland is actually going to have a second independent referendum...

10. NoXsOrOs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's about as shitty as the American election, except
    bernie was there.

11. RGEm

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Honestly, if someone anti-LGBT is elected to be PM, I should move to a different country once I finished my degree, I was planning to anyway.

12. eMei

Andrea Leadsom and Priti Patel are my choices. I know that Priti may have some homophobic views bit other than that she looks to be the strong female, pro Brexit leader that the UK needs.

13. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Privi Patel's said and done too many dumb things in her career to be a serious candidate, Britannia Unchained alone would get headlines for days.

Another thing to considered away from equal marriage is the prospect of a British Bill of Rights, something that would probably be crafted by Tories. Considering how right wing a lot of the candidates are and just how power hungry the rest are, there's a good chance the hard right will get a bone thrown to them in the form of a right to discriminate or some other way around equality legislation.

14. WeirdnessMagnet

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Take that puny Putin on a puny pony! :grin:

15. wolf of fire

Well we are buggered, who wants tea?

16. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not a Tory, so the whole list is unappealing to me, but, it's got to be a Tory.

Out of the list of candidates proposed by the threadstarter, I would say Ruth Davidson, but I see Ruth as more of a kingmaker for one of the other candidates, rather than a candidate herself. I don't think it would even be possible for Ruth Davidson to stand.

With Ruth out of the running I would go with Theresa May. She is the only candidate that could stop Boris the Buffoon, in my opinion and he needs to be stopped.

Many people believe the next PM should be a Brexiteer, but I see that as the worst possible scenario. How will it help negotiations with the EU to install somebody from the leave camp into the top job, especially somebody like Johnson who spent years whipping up hysteria against the EU? Yeah, let's really piss the EU off from the outset, shall we?

I have to admit that Theresa May has steadied the ship at the Home Office. She has attention to detail and a determination to get things done and we need that now, more than ever. She also played a part in getting the same sex marriage bill through parliament, so I'll give her some credit for that, even though I am unconvinced by her supposed conversion to the cause of LGBT rights.

I'm hoping Cameron, Ruth Davidson and John Major will publicly declare for Theresa May in an attempt to stop the Boris juggernaut.

17. Joe54321

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't believe the main candidates are anti-gay or will implement anti-gay policies however it will be interesting to see what their responses are to previous stances, I think they will probably mostly repent, Stephen Crabb already has.

As a Tory Brexiteer it fills natural to support a Brexit candidate to get the best deal possible, their heart fully in it. I don't buy into Junker's rhetoric about if its a Brexiteer or not, we all know Merkel pulls the strings.

If I am honest I like them all for different reasons Boris is charismatic, excellent speaker and was strong in the referendum, he has become more statesman recently and I think we'll see more of that side of him in the coming weeks. However he has as a journalist said controversial things in the past which may hinder him. I do think he'll win if he's on the final ballot, he definitly has the support of the grass-roots Tories.

Theresa May is rubbed from the same grass as Boris but a much more serious politician, a powerful woman who I have a lot of respect for. Her record as home secretary however is patchy and her downfall is backing remain, as someone who has opposed freedom of movement it looked dubious. I wouldn't be suprised if she backed Boris.

Stephen Crabb, young, energetic and is probably the most Cameronite candidate out of them all he offers something fresh. However his inexperience and ties to remain will hold him back. He is a strong candidate and will get a lot of support from the left of the Tory Party but if he is going to win he needs some more grass-roots figures behind him

I would say I am currently leaning Boris but I am still open to changing my mind.

18. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My top choice is Andrea Leadsom. Top Brexit campaigner and I can definitely see her making an impact.

I wasn't aware that Priti Patel believed in capital punishment, but it makes me want to support her even more. We wouldn't have rapists and murderers going round with Patel in charge!

I would not be opposed to Boris as leader, but I think we have better options. Gove would be alright.

The next PM must be a Brexit supporter, as they will have the task of negotiating our split from the EU. This, for me, rules out some of the candidates.

#18 Reciprocal, Jun 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
  19. I'm_Danni_x

Anti-lgbt...pro capital punishment, don't you realize what could happen?

#19 I'm_Danni_x, Jun 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
  20. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Privi Patel and capital punishment mentioned in the same sentence? Perfect excuse to post this video of her on Question Time -

[YOUTUBE]_DrsVhzbLzU[/YOUTUBE]

Never try and defend the death penalty in the presence of a magazine salesman from Clapham:eusa_doh: