1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay kid with gay parents

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by doglover123, Jun 27, 2016.

1. doglover123

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Hi everyone,
    I'm new to this forum but I thought it would be a good place for advice :slight_smile: I am a 16 year old girl who has, in the last few months, realized that she is attracted to other girls. I'm dating a guy, but I think of him more of a friend to be a honest. That's another thing all together, but actually what I wanted to ask is; my main anxiety about "coming out" is that I am really worried that people will think somehow my parents "turned me gay". You see, I have 2 mothers who are very cool and good parents and I'm certainly not embarrassed of having gay parents, but ever since I was young people have assumed that just because I have gay parents I myself am gay. I have always told them I'm not, and lectured them on how having gay parents doesn't make someone gay. Except, well, in my case, I happen to be gay. And I'm scared that people will judge me and my parents thinking that somehow me being gay is a result of having them raise me. Even though my brother is straight, so it obviously isn't. Still, it's causing quite a bit of inner turmoil, warranted or not. I was wondering if anyone on here was gay and had gay parents and could tell me about their experience, or really just anyone who'd be able to give me some advice. It's much appreciated :slight_smile:.

2. Secondrate

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Your worries are understandable, and I'm sure you already know it, but even if people do judge, your parents will not blame you for anything. Rather, they will likely condone you for your bravery, and help you every bit along the way.

Before you come out to everyone else, I would recommend telling your parents first, not only would it take a lot off of your shoulders, but you can also talk to them directly about your worries. Your parents will understand completely, they grew up in an even more un accepting society, and they will offer you a lot of help and advice. You should also tell them that you are worried people will judge you and your parents, because I'm sure that they can talk to you better about that than anyone here on Empty Closets.

Best of luck to you friend, and I hope you can find some solace in my words. :slight_smile: