LGBT News Pope Francis says Church should apologise to gays

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by doinitagain, Jun 27, 2016.

1. Sagume Kishin

This is an interesting development. His heart's in the right place, and I think he's trying to fix things to some degree or another. He's better than most popes, honestly. I think the fact he's trying is worth recognizing, but he's the Pope. There's limits to what he can do - like others have said, the church will never really support Homosexuality or SSM. It's against their moral teachings.

On the otherhand, ultimately it's not going to make any difference for that reason. It takes more than the Pope saying people should seek forgiveness to change the hearts and minds of the laity.

2. CoderK

I r8 this pope 8/8 m8 it ain't b8 m8. But seriously though, gr8 guy.

3. SpaceOddity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's kind of like saying, well you're prejudice against these groups of people a little bit ... But you mostly accept them. That's still not okay. At least in my books. I don't buy it. And I'm sure the next pope won't feel the same either.

4. andimon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    He's either doubting his own religion, or someone's forcing him to make these statements.
    No, I'm not saying you can't be a modern christian, I'm saying that someone who is off and on with their beliefs has something to hide (yes, Hillary Clinton, I'm looking at you).

5. lemons123

cool. Maybe he should've used the term LGBT? that says sounds kinda like: f**k bis and lesbians, we'd apologize to gays only lol.

6. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Pope Francis seems like a nice guy to me. A lot more decent than the church has been at times.

7. Hunter8

As for Pope Francis, I'm not Catholic, so I am not overly invested in what he says about certain subjects. That being said, I have repeatedly been impressed with how he has conducted himself with a humble sort of Grace that is often rare in a Pope. He seems very approachable and concerned about Christianity beyond simply his Catholic sphere of influence. I think his words to the LGBT community were tasteful, appropriate, and heartfelt. Anything more or less than what he said would've been less effective in my opinion.

Please note though that I realize this is only my opinion. Therefore, if anyone disagrees with me, I absolutely do not automatically label such a person as brainwashed or inherently inferior to myself.

8. steellord1234

well, that is nice in theory, but he may want to start with the gay priest who was effectively fired just a couple months ago

---------- Post added 3rd Jul 2016 at 09:52 PM ----------

yeah, you see plenty evidence of this in right wing america, which has been more fundamentalist than the church itself for a while now

or latin america, which has the opposite 'problem'

i'm not sure how much influence the pope has any more other than as a figurehead