1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I the only one who doesn't "get" anime?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by peterw78165, Jun 26, 2016.

1. andimon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I felt the same before watching Attack on Titan, Death Note and Tokyo Ghoul. I know, I'm so mainstream, but I only enjoy good quality anime.

2. peterw78165

peterw78165 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not trying to get into anime. The reason I posted this was because I was seeking reassurance that anime fans would still accept me even though I don't have similar tastes. I was a little bit worked up about other things when I started this thread, and I now regret posting. I was a little bit too convinced that the "butthurt anime fan" stereotype was true. I'm calmer now, and I realize that this whole situation was a bit silly. I do apologize if I upset anyone; I'm not normally like that. Again, it was just me venting in a way that maybe wasn't the best. So quoth Bernard from Day of the Tentacle (great point-and-click adventure game, by the way): "Sometimes I do stupid stuff, and I have no idea why. Almost as if my body was being controlled by some demented, sadistic puppet master."

3. NoXsOrOs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    :Hugs: its okay, I'm sure I speak for all of us, we understand.

4. idcidc

I tried watching some anime but I just hate it tbh. It feels,to me at least, childish but I don't really make a deal about what I believe. The worst thing is the majority of the fans who become butthurts and are like "watch some and you will like it"..how about no?

5. Cedar

*shrugs* You do you, if anime isn't your thing, it isn't your thing and I'm not going to try and give you suggestions to watch something you might not like.

6. Sharka Sharka

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I used to really like watching anime, I practically grew up with it. As I grew older, anime appealed to me less and less and now I'm not so interested in it anymore. I'm probably gonna offend some people but I find anime to be repetitive and some characters are too dramatic/emotional/hard to relate for me. When you said "not liking anime = murder", I thought that was hilarious though.

#26 Sharka Sharka, Jun 27, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
  7. purplewolf6

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    There is butthurt outlash from rabid fans in any subject/being they like. I laugh at it. Not everyone is gonna like what I like being LGBT I get that but don't get the hate.

OK, your pro sports team beat my pro sports team. Are we gonna have an ol West shootout about it? Of course not it's not like we play for either team anyways. OK, I don't agree with your favored policies though we still get along. Your candidate is not for me simple as that. I wish the majority of people thought like this.

As I said live your life and be happy. Been around anime my whole life so it's different for me but my anime fix may be another's Netflix show binge. It's all good. We all live one pants leg at a time.

8. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I know lots of people that don't like anime or don't get why I like it. That's cool, you don't have to like it. I won't think less of you for not liking an niche of cartoons, that would be silly.

Everything has rabid fans, make a left turn joke to a NASCAR fan if you don't believe me. I would have to say soccer fans are the worst, they start riots and wars over that.

9. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't either.

10. peterw78165

peterw78165 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Finally, someone who fully sees eye-to-eye with me on this!

11. Glowing Eyes

Other than The Last Airbender, I don't get anime either.

#31 Glowing Eyes, Jun 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
  12. AmyBee

It took me a while to find the anime I liked, or manga for that matter. To be honest, I'm more of a manga person. It's like anything else, though. A lot is garbage but what's good is REALLY good. For the bad things, it's like anything. I don't like the cliches and the tropes and the similarity between certain character types or story elements that just HAVE to be there for a lot of hardcore fans. I like stuff that BREAKS rules, not stuff that hews closely to them. I thought all anime and manga was standard issue stuff but eventually I found my niche and now I'm really happy with liking it.

However, that said, yeah, you shouldn't feel pressured to get into it if it's just not your thing. You can like what you like and anime fans can like what they like and both groups should be satisfied. I'm not about to tell you what to like or not to like!

#32 AmyBee, Jun 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
  13. CoderK

I don't watch anime because of a certain number of people who take it TOO FAR. Just like. TOO GOD DAMN FAR. *Shudders*

The things I have seen. The cringe I have been through.

But in all seriousness, I don't dislike anime, and I watch it from time to time, but a certain number of people ruined it for me. I hope this doesn't offend anybody who likes anime.

14. peterw78165

peterw78165 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes. I knew SO MANY people at my high school who took their anime interest too far. Not surprisingly, they were yaoi fangirls. To make matters worse, once they found out I was bi, they started shipping me with male anime characters/drawing creepy art of me. *Cringes* I just don't see any appeal to yaoi.

15. Mahidevran

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    No, you're not the only one.
    My younger sister is a total otaku, she loves everything Japanese, including anime. We're both similar to each other i some cases, but in this one, we are totally different. I can say it as you, anime is not my cup of tea. I can watch it with her sometimes (I even liked two or three, but this is all), but I can't say that it's something I enjoy on a daily basis. Same with Japan and anything Japanese.

16. Libra Neko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I like it, but completely understand why some people don't. No one should try to convince someone to get into something just because they like it.

17. Bobsleigh1

Bobsleigh1 Guest

I've watched quite a bit of anime, i'm not one to obsess over it and watch aaaallll the time or claim that it's the best thing ever or anything, but i have watched a fair few short ones.
    And, yeah, any fandom really can get overly vicious whenever someone says even just their personal opinion on things (it's just out of a passion for what we love i guess). But not everyone in the anime fandom's are like that. Or any fandoms for that matter. It's just that negativity stands out more than positivity.
    And everyone's entitled to their own opinions! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    If you ever wanted to get into anime, then i'm sure there's some you'd like, there's something for everyone in every form of media after all, but no one has to be 'forced' into liking something if they aren't interested in it, you know?
    Different people like different things, that doesn't mean we all have to dislike eachother though. As long as your a good dude, the anime community's probably just fine with you having your own opinion! 。^‿^。
    And, yeah, a lot of people get creeped out by just how obsessive the anime fandom (among other groups and probably just geeks in general really) can be, by coating their homes in merchandise, drawing fanart, writing fanfics and shipping, but, honestly, i kinda like that part of it.
    Having passion for stuff is pretty good. Even if it's stuff like yaoi or whatever other stuff is normally seen as weird.
    Cause it's good to have opinions, but It's important not to hate on anyone too.
    I guess i kind of feed into buying a lot of collector's merch and occasionally shipping, so i kinda understanding the fandom a bit better than anime outsiders i suppose, which means that i'm not really weirded out by any of it, but i, along with most anime fans, can totally understand why it would all seem so foreign to other people and, even though we are total weebs, we can still talk about stuff other than our fandoms!
    If we talked about fandoms and anime all the time i don't think we'd make many friends other than other otakus... (´u`)
    Just like what you like. You do your thing and we'll do ours, but that doesn't mean we can't all mingle every once in a while. (─‿─)

18. purplewolf6

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Not gonna lie I do like yaoi (Junjou Romantica & Love Stage) but again I see why other guys won't like it with the feminization of the characters., drama,etc.

In general I haven't seen media depicting two burly men in a romance much if at all(I hope bara gets popular). Ya don't need one person to be masculine and another to be feminine in a gay relationship. Sorry, a bit off topic lol.

Sorry they shipped you to fictional characters that's creepy man. Even if they put you in a fanfic m/m Twilight that's still weird. With my search history, maybe I'm the last to call something weird:icon_redf.

19. XxAlexanderxX

Out Status:
    Some people
    Anime is kinda like movies or any other TV show to me, and not everyone has to like it. As for butthurt fans, think if someone said they didn't like your favorite show or something. We just don't get how others don't like something we're so obsessed with and love, and it's strange for us. That's how I see it :slight_smile:

20. Bobsleigh1

Bobsleigh1 Guest

This is pretty perfect. Lil' bit off topic, but pretty perfect.