1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I the only one who doesn't "get" anime?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by peterw78165, Jun 26, 2016.

1. peterw78165

peterw78165 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Try as I might, I just can't find any personal appeal to anime. It just doesn't really interest me. Does anybody else feel the same way? Because the way some people talk about it would imply that anybody who doesn't like anime is messed up in the head. There's nothing wrong with my opinion on the matter, is there? (Disclaimer: If you like anime, that's great. It's just not my cup of tea. Nothing in this post should be construed as an attack on anime or its fans.)

#1 peterw78165, Jun 26, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2016
  2. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There's a wide variety of anime, so generally someone can enjoy at least some of it, I think. It's definitely not as if anime is all the same. I don't really like the mainstream anime but there are some really interesting ones out there~.

I mostly watch anime to learn about Japanese culture and learn new Japanese words and phrases. ^^

But you know, people have different interests. It can be difficult to understand why people like the things they do, but that's just how humans are. You shouldn't expect to be able to understand why someone enjoys something that you don't. ^^

3. peterw78165

peterw78165 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What really ticks me off is when anime fans (or fans of anything, really) get really butthurt and start personally attacking me for expressing my opinion.

PS. I had a feeling I'd see you in this thread, YuriCore. It seems like no matter where I go on this site, I encounter you. It's always nice to see a familiar face.

4. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, that bothers me, too. I like it when people have different opinions from me; it's hard for me to understand when people try to debate or push their opinions on others randomly like that. So I know whatcha mean. ^^

Just look at my location. I mostly live on this site, so it's no surprise you'd see me around a lot. :lol:

5. peterw78165

peterw78165 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Har har har. You should totally change your location to "The Matrix." :slight_smile:

6. Hatsune Miku

anime is like any other genre of entertainment

it's completely subjective and whether or not a person likes it depends on the individual in question. there's absolutely nothing wrong with not liking it

7. peterw78165

peterw78165 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Cool. Unfortunately, some people would have you believe that not liking anime is as bad as murder. (Fuck those people.)

8. NoXsOrOs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    And the winner goes to Hatsune Miku for an excellent answer, that was short and easy to understand.
    (I don't think murder = not liking anime at all, that was kinda hyperbole and uncalled for)

#8 NoXsOrOs, Jun 26, 2016
  9. peterw78165

peterw78165 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    OK. Thank you everybody for reassuring me. I feel better now about not liking anime. Now I can calm down and put the matter to rest.

#9 peterw78165, Jun 26, 2016
  10. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Some people might react negatively to your opinion because they may assume you're painting anime with a very broad brush. "Anime" just refers to Japanese animation. It would be the same as saying you don't "get" American movies or British TV. It's a fair opinion, but you have understand how general it seems.

11. peterw78165

peterw78165 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes. I understand. I just get a little carried away sometimes. I apologize if I upset anybody.

12. purplewolf6

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    You just don't like it then which is fine. I'm sure I'd be attacked for liking yaoi doesn't bother me. Anyone giving you crap is too stuck in their view to notice differing ones. You respectfully disagree with it and I feel the opposite cool, we're humans with a difference. I'd probably laugh and enjoy your company while we agree with something else. I'm an otaku 4 life but I understand lots aren't gonna get that. Cardcaptor Sakura!!!

---------- Post added 26th Jun 2016 at 08:21 PM ----------

Wow we're both bisexual! See, something we have in common that doesn't involve animated people with abnormally big eyes lol.

13. KayJay

I've tried many times to get into anime, I've watched Bleach, Sword Art Online, Black Butler, Death Note and Fullmetal Alchemist. The only one that sort of held my interest was Bleach. It was one of the first that I watched when I was younger. To be fair my brother was into it and I tried really hard to be as well so we'd be able to share something. Seems silly typing it out lol.

Anywho, I think the problem for me is a culture difference type thing. The way characters in the anime I have watched respond to things is sometimes just really over the top and it is off putting to me. It just doesn't click I guess? I'm not sure how else to explain it.

#13 KayJay, Jun 26, 2016
  14. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Heh, yeah, what is with that? I think it's funny, though. :lol:

15. NoXsOrOs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Remember anime; is an umbrella word. Different styles have different reactions. From what I see you mostly watch mainstream shonen.. so remember mainstream shonen is marketed to adolescence males. Marketed... not soley meant for; maybe try some more adult oriented anime. trigun, cowboy bebop, akira, samurai champloo. Or just look up anime for whatever interests you and start from there.

16. Clone324B21

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I don't really get it either. I've watched a lot of it, because I've had friends and lovers who have been really into anime, but I never felt much drawn to any story or the characters. Cowboy Bebop was the one semi-exception; I actually kinda enjoyed that.

17. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's a really broad thing to say, like "I don't like novels." Most anime follows certain conventions, but all the word implies is the animation style.

I can agree that most of it isn't for me either (too much supernatural focus most times), but there's really something for everyone.

18. NoXsOrOs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Maybe try more works by the author. I know Samarii champloo is written by him.

(Try slice of life style anime, should have little to no super natural elements.. Or sports animes which typically have none(Try them even if you don't like sports; It feels nothing like a sport xD)

#18 NoXsOrOs, Jun 26, 2016
  19. peterw78165

peterw78165 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You're right about anime characters having freakishly large eyes. Shouldn't their retinas be just completely fried to a crisp by now?

20. Night Rain

Try more serious anime. If you only look at the popular anime, you're bound to find over the top everything.

Also, if you have to try to get into it, you're doing it the wrong way. Don't force yourself to do something you don't enjoy. You're just gonna hate it more. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

There are countless anime I don't like (terrible plots, over the top characters, bad animation, random I-look-like-a-hot-girl-but-I-am-actually-a-guy characters) . They don't even have to be bad, sometimes they're just simple not my thing (genres like yaoi, harem, or drawing styles).

I suggest Boku dake ga Inai Machi. It's a nice mix of everything.

#20 Night Rain, Jun 27, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2016