1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will you leave your partner?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by crystalbal, Jun 26, 2016.

1. crystalbal

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hi guys,

this is just a topic for discussion.

1) Imagine if your boyfriend/girlfriend/spouse develop a mental disorder (like eg depression or phobia) suddenly and his lifestyle starts to change, would you leave him/her?

2) If the person whom you are dating reveal that he/she has a mental disorder, would you stop dating him/her?

As for me,

1) I would not leave my partner and be there for him and help him in his progress of overcoming his issues.

2) I would still continue to date him.

:slight_smile:

2. radicalmuffins

Out Status:
    A few people
    My answer to both is no. For as long as he is making small steps towards recovery and is trying his best, I would never leave him.

I suffered from depression myself and my partner at that time never left me despite me being very difficult. It was comforting knowing that he was there for me.

3. Izzy H

God no!!!
    I've found the perfect girl of late ^-^
    Mental disorder or not, she's mine *clings to her*
    And plus.
    I got like...
    7 I think.

4. thepandaboss

If I did have a partner, no to both. One, that'd be hypocritical. I have my own issues and saying "Well, sure. You deal with my shit all the time but can't handle yours".

Two, my ex actually had depression. I didn't leave him because he had depression. I left him because he was an ignorant, controlling fuckwaffle who treated me and everyone in his life like hot garbage.

So, if the next partner happens to have a mental disorder? Fine by me as long as they're able to get the help they need (if they need it).

5. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can imagine circumstances where it might be very painfully necessary, but my overall opinion is the same as other contributors - no/no.

6. NoXsOrOs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Never, if anything I'd support her all the way through.

-Couch by her I mean transitive to me only; add
    her/him/them/they/other/etc to be specific.

7. midwestgirl89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No to both. I would only leave them if we stopped being compatible or something else happened but I wouldn't leave someone for their health. It'd also be hypocritical given that I am pretty impaired by mental illness. I've left people because I was too depressed to have any feelings anymore or function so that may be an issue that would end a relationship but in itself no not at all.

#7 midwestgirl89, Jun 26, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2016
  8. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm going to be as honest here, I know it's not the ''nice'' answer, but it's the honest one.

I would not leave them for having a mental disorder in itself. However, if their personality changes to a point I don't want to be with them, then I will leave them.

If they told me they had a mental disorder, then I would keep dating them. However, if their personality - even if a result of the mental disorder - is not one I am compatible with, then I would not continue to date them.

If they tried using their mental disorder to get away with doing things / trying to do things that are hurting me, then I would leave them.

Basically, mental disorder [or any other disability] or not, if someone tries/succeeds in to hurt me or has a personality I am not compatible with, then I would not want to be in a relationship with them. I don't see why I should be forced to.

However, if somebody was NBphobic or biphobic then I would leave them straight away ... I wouldn't want to waste my time with somebody who hates me for what I am.

#8 Secrets5, Jun 26, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2016
  9. timo

Honest answer - I don't know. It all depends on the situation, and on how stable our relationship would be before all this happened.

If the change in personality or behaviour would be so big that it gets to a point where I really can't handle it - sorry but then we're done. Minor changes can be worked on but there's a point where it just ends.

10. midwestgirl89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I will have to agree. It wouldn't be an illness that would end the relationship for me, it would be if there is a change in the relationship or a change in personality that makes us incompatible. Tbqh and this again may not be popular, it's not easy to be in a relationship with someone who is in a deep depression. That isn't to say that the relationship has to end, but knowing myself and how I am when I'm depressed, it's hard for other people to handle especially those that love the depressed person dearly. Because depression can cause a person to want to isolate, can cause apathy, and can completely end a person's sex drive. Those things alone can put incredible strain on a gf/bf even if there is a lot of love. It can make the gf/bf feel helpless in helping their loved one because really there isn't anything they can do to fix what their loved one is going through.

Then add in if there is any sort of mania, hallucinations, or personality changes and it makes it difficult as well. Anxiety can also be hard because it can put a strain on the relationship if the person lets insecurities from anxiety out.

Sometimes the illness really is a reason as to why a person can fade away in a relationship but it's definitely not an excuse for hurting someone or being mean.

So yeah I think it's a case by case situation but people with mental illness can definitely have good relationships. Keeping yourself in recovery, counseling, and being on medicine if it's needed is important to maintain balanced relationships (including romantic, family, or friends).

#10 midwestgirl89, Jun 26, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2016
  11. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No I would not leave someone with a disorder, but I would hope we can work it out through therapy and medication.

I would not date someone with narcissistic or antisocial personality disorder, but many other illnesses can be worked through.

12. AmyBee

My partner had a serious depressive episode last year. Her jobs were crushing her (yes JOBS) and she ended up having to take more than a month off to pretty much lie around in her pajamas. It was painful for me to experience but my hurt was NOTHING compared to her own hurt. The first doctor she went to was totally crappy though. Just snappish and not empathetic or sympathetic. He did prescribe her some anti-anxiety meds and some anti-depressants, which actually helped her a lot. But she hated having to talk to him. So I convinced her to shop around and she found a more woman-friendly clinic. I felt she really needed to talk to another woman and not just do the meds but also just have someone objective who understood her more than that first lout. Well they made a HUGE difference. She still had anxiety episodes for a while in public places so we took babysteps to get her desensitized to crowds. It took about three months. But her mood at our place improved little by little. Like almost week to week. It was just very very difficult to process.

But I NEVER thought about leaving her. I thought we were together exactly FOR this kind of thing. To support when one of us was down.

So that's my answer. After experiencing it for real I would stay with the person!

13. cakepiecookie

I wouldn't leave someone purely for *having* a mental disorder, but I would leave someone if they treated me badly or if they were completely unstable and unwilling to get help.

14. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wouldn't leave her~. I would try to help her. ^^

Leaving her at a time like that would probably just make her feel worse! It would seem like a mean thing to do when she's in need of emotional support.

We can get through it together! ^.^

15. rudysteiner

Hopefully not, but if they're so bad it's unsafe for me to be with them, for example, then obviously I have to think about myself. I probably wouldn't purposely date a narcissist, but if happened that the guy I was with was one, I wouldn't break up with him straight away, I'd obviously try to make the relationship work to the best of my ability. Saying that, I probably have NPD.

#15 rudysteiner, Jun 26, 2016
  16. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No to both of those.

I mean, I had depression at one time. I know how it feels when people don't care enough to help you through it. Why would I inflict that pain to someone I love? Those are things I could probably help him with instead.

For the second one, that'd be even worse if I left him because I'd be already in a relationship without knowing about it. How exactly would that change anything?

17. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I can't say yes or no because I haven't been in the situation. However if I decided to stay they would have to seek professional help and if they didn't and refused to get help then yes I probably would leave.

18. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nope. I wouldn't leave someone because they had a disorder. I would leave someone because they were an asshole. And never forget that people don't need disorders to be assholes

I know from experience that I would be supportive

19. Fedora Mun

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If it is someone I truly love and can't live without (ie: future husband) I would never leave them.
    Iv struggled with depression for a long time so I feel that I could help them get through it if they told me they had it.

#19 Fedora Mun, Jun 26, 2016
  20. alittlemore

I've had mental health problems for a long time and my partner has supported me all the way. I'm really grateful to him for that, and obviously I would do the same for him.