Help with dealing with dysphoria

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by DeguOwner, Jun 24, 2016.

1. DeguOwner

I've been having a lot of dysphoria around my (I hate to use this word, but here it is) 'boobs' as well as menstruation. I'm not out yet, and my parents are slightly non-binary phobic (is that the right term?). I have heard them speak about how hey junk people who are non-binary (not including teams people) have a screw loose :bang: . This means that I can't get a binder, my mom is also very against anything that stops menstruation, thinking that it will hurt me so she's basically against any form of birth control that will 'mess me up'.

I just really need help dealing with dysphoria right now, anything that can make me feel better, or make the things that make me have dysphoria go away. :help:

2. vertical

vertical Guest

When I was still closeted I would bind using sports bras (sometimes wearing more than 1), and extra layers, so you could try that. Whenever I feel really dysphoric I try to distract myself with stuff like music or video games to try to take the focus off my dysphoria.

3. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If getting a binder isn't an option, I second the advice already given - use a sports bra, or two, if possible. I have a rather tight sports bra that actually works quite well on its own. Don't wear it for too long though, especially if you're layering two on top of each other.

I don't have a lot of advice for menstruation, unless you can safely get your hands on boxers / men's underwear without your parents noticing. Menstruation products can sometimes be a bit uncomfortable for me but I need to use them, so what I usually do is wear boxers over a pair of underwear; that way, I feel better, and I don't have to see a visible indication of any of those products if I take my trousers off. I have no idea if that made any sense whatsoever, but hope it at least offers a tip?

When dealing with dysphoria sometimes distraction works best though. Movies, TV shows, music - I'm a big fan of comedy because it helps me laugh and feel better, and distracts me in a positive way when the dysphoria isn't nice. Good luck (*hug*)

4. DeguOwner

Thank you! And yes, it does make sense. I have tried binding with a sports bra, but finding a non-padded one is a pain, any suggestions on where to get one?

5. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I bought mine from H&M, the sports bra/sports tops section. I got one of the smallest sizes there, it's quite tight but not too tight that it hurts my ribs. Since it's quite small and binds tightly I tend to not layer when it comes to using that one, because it could actually be dangerous if I do. But it works well, especially since it's non-padded. It's black, and it was quite cheap/not a professional kind. It seems the main/only two materials are polyester and elastane. So, if that helps at all :slight_smile:

I'll suggest giving sports stores such as Nike a try, or giving H&M a shot if you have one near you. Most sports stores should sell a non-padded one, then again, I rarely go to them. Just have a look around I think, nobody in any store will give you grief for that.

Depending on what colour shirts you wear, I would go for a colour that isn't neon yellow or pink or some colours that sports bras can be; grays/blacks/whites can be easier to hide and don't show through shirts. Even though you might want something really small, don't go for a super small size if it hurts your back or your ribs too much.

Good luck with it! I hope you find something that works (*hug*) Stay safe when binding as well.

#5 Alder, Jun 25, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
  6. GenderSciFi

Also, I don't know if this helps at all, but if you hate the word, you don't have to call them that. The thingies. You can just call it a chest :slight_smile: At least on here, folks will know what you mean.

7. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's true! If I'm talking about dysphoria specifically I just call it top dysphoria, or if I have to refer to them by name I tend to refer to them as my chest or something. People here know what you're talking about so don't worry :thumbsup:

8. DeguOwner

Thank you again! *runs to H&M*

9. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No problem, hope you find something that works!