1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How would you define or describe your gender?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Alder, Jun 24, 2016.

1. Alfhild

Unsure, I was raised female but I was a tomboy as a child, and I've gone from just about every gender identity, even desiring to transition (not only just FTM.) There is a psychological issue with this based on my own self-hatred, trauma, and my lack of a clear personality (not just gender identity or sexuality... everything) that I have experienced throughout my life. However I have learned my lesson about sharing who I am with others, even if I trust or thought I could trust them, I lost a potential relationship because of it and I will never make such a mistake again, ever.
    My orientation is a mystery, most likely asexual or demisexual (but that could be due to trauma) I did foolishly "fall in love" with a guy though. I don't think I experience attraction, and I am unable to have or form the most basic relationships/friendships, so I consider my orientation unimportant.
    Appearance wise I dress however, I guess it's feminine, I look ugly in any clothes and I can't stand to look at myself in the mirror, but I don't wear dresses or skirts that much, and I wear make-up when I can force myself to.
    At this point in time I think I'm 60% Feminine.

#41 Alfhild, Jul 5, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2016
  2. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The long of it...: I'm a non-conforming faab individual that, while not entirely male and certainly not traditionally masculine, identifies as "male-leaning". I am more comfortable using a male name and male pronouns socially, and prefer to be seen as a male. I don't feel completely male, so I guess I'm really somewhere in the middle of the spectrum. I also think it's important to note that while I do see myself as male, and I don't feel a connection with being a woman, I also do not necessarily feel a connection with being a man - probably largely from the connections I have with the term and concepts of machismo, If there were a viable third option, I'd pick it, but I still feel a need to be perceived as male because of the dysphoria I experience over my body and my voice.

...and the short of it: Non-conforming/non-binary transmale

3. Dented

Still mainly presenting as a guy because of anxiety/family/society/body etc., but to most of my friends I'm "openly who-the-hell-knows?"

4. XxAlexanderxX

Out Status:
    Some people
    I pretty much express myself masculinely or androgynously, and dressing up in girly clothes and makeup is kind of like drag to me and since I became more comfortable with myself I've become more open to experimenting with how I express myself. I was assigned female at birth but much like paris said, if you rounded up I'd be a guy and if you rounded down I'd be agender. So I'm happy with being a transmasculine demiboy, and just expressing myself how I want.

#44 XxAlexanderxX, Jul 5, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2016
  5. SHACH

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Female. Sorta tomboyish. Sort of not caring. But I'm pretty sure I'm not like most girls. I'm fine with that. I'm still a girl, but it's not like I really care. I prefer to dress more masculinely often, but sometimes I go feminine and I will paint my nails and do some basic maekup when I have the time. Not to look feminine, more just to add a bit of polish to my look. My hobbies could pretty much be the hobbies of a guy except maybe some shows I watch like Real Housewives and my fangirling. I'm more emotional than guys but less emotionally expressive than girls. Being called a young lady makes me cringe but so does being called a handsome genteleman. I'm just a girl but not a lady. So as I said, female.

6. MrSkittles

I'm...me. I'm human. I don't need a gender to say who I am

7. Rabell9

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I identify as genderqueer because that feels right. I am probably genderfluid, but that doesn't fit me for some reason. I present male because I was cis by default for most of my life, I think if I was born a girl I would have been a tomboy but been comfortable being feminine. I wear nail polish and necklaces and have some nice unisex outfits but want to get more.

8. LaurenSkye

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm a guy, and I enjoy being a guy, but I'm also feminine, and I enjoy being feminine.

9. Panthera

Out Status:
    A few people
    I've always identified as female, but as younger I didn't care to be too "feminine", I had a "tomboy"-phase where I cut my hair shorter and we played a lot outside, climbing trees and stuff (I "was" Misty from Pokemon :grin:)

I had a cis-feminine phase in jr. high school & high school, somehow confiding in gender norms made me feel more accepted. Secretly I admired the more genderqueer, lesbian and other lgbti-kids at our school. During my first year at uni I found my androgynous side, both inner and expressive. For a while I went mostly without makeup, had cut my hair short and wore neutral-looking clothes.

Now I still identify as female but not femme, some days I can still express with makeup and even a dress, but usually I just do it for the change, not for feeling super feminine inside. I'm confortable with looking and feeling queer or andogynous, in my head gender isn't such a big fuss. If I manage to get some interested or confused looks from strangers, I just smile.

However, a new thing is FTM-daydreaming, that's interestimg to me because it is present only during sexual fantasies or experiences. Haven't fully figured out yet why I feel more masculine during sex.

If I'll be in a relationship with a woman some day, I'll probably express my more masculine side or at least tone down the feminine, since I have a feeling that I'd like tp be "protective" and that I open doors, buy flowers and lift up my gf. Assuming she is femme or otherwise comfortable with it. Of course, those are just constructions of femininity and masculinity I know, but anyway for the sake of explaining :slight_smile:

10. Rowe

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I usually say nonbinary.

I am AMAB. I act more androgynous (and would ideally present that way, but I can't right now). I really HATE gender stereotypes. I was unashamed of being in cosmetology. See, now I'm talking like I'm a gender nonconforming male, which I'm not. I do feel more male at certain times, but usually nonbinary (maybe agender). I usually don't mind being called male either. A couple times I have kind of felt more female (today was the most female I have ever felt, but it lasted like a minute). I am kind of fine with clothes made for men too, but again, I'd like to be more androgynous. Sometimes, I like wearing clothes made for women, which I'd like to be doing right now, but I'm too lazy to get up, and I'm in the living room, so there's the possibility of getting caught. Okay, maybe more than sometimes. I also have long hair, and want it to be longer. I kind of also want to get rid of my arm and leg hair sometimes. I also don't really like having a male face.

I couldn't really find the right word. Agender, demiguy, and genderfluid fit me the most, but I didn't really feel like those exactly. So, that's why I use nonbinary for now.

I guess I'd describe it as something like genderally (I just HAD to) 55% nonbinary, 35% male, 10% female, maybe a little less male and female.

11. SpaceOddity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Male. I didn't even know what the fuck cis was until a few days ago. So if we want to get technical I'm a cis-male. But all that specification is just weird to me. I just say male. I wear makeup, yup. I walk and talk like a man, yup.

12. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Cisgender female here, with androgynous gender expression. I think most gender roles for women are shit and wouldn't do anything I also don't expect a man to do. I used to think I was trans or non binary, until I realized that I can just be a woman who doesn't need to "act" like one.

13. Duane

Duane Guest

I have not yet done much transitioning other than clothing and various habits like walking and learning to speak with less of a feminine expression and tone.

Physically I look feminine, which when I think about it or look at my body it makes me depressed. I mostly hate my hips, butt and boobs and face shape.

Where it should actually count, meaning everything under the surface of skin and shape, I am a mildly effeminate man (at least this how I see myself, my true self). I do like some very feminine things. I like wearing a little bit of makeup sometimes. And I like my long hair, but I am going to get it cut off soon.

14. Hawk

Admin Team Full Member Away

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's complicated, but as of right now, I think gender fluid, transmasculine might describe me best, though it may still be bound to change.

I have days where I might feel female, days I feel male, and days where I'm neither, some days it may change rapidly in a day or two, other times it may change within weeks or months, which I think caused a lot of my confusion when it came to choosing a label. Though my expression doesn't change whether I'm female/male/neither I'll always express myself masculinely and I'll want to be seen as masculine whatever gender I am on any given day. I've been starting to search for more gender fluid transmasculine people online and finding quite a few people who I seem to relate to (finally). Though I've also considered just going by the transmasculine label by itself, but I guess gender fluid transmasculine may describes me best. Though, the other thing is, I may end up just leaving it as an umbrella term; Non-Binary Transmasculine.

#54 Hawk, Jul 24, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2016
  15. AyaseKishimoto

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    A female, kinda tomboysh who loves short haircuts, lipstick, nail polish and skirts... I like sports and all those masculine things but my expressions DO NOT define my gender (I'm a person that was born in a body that doesn't feel right)

16. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Words are hard, none of them really fit quite right. I'm not a woman, I'm not 100% a man, I'm definitely still a guy, but also definitely an enby. Some days I want to wear leggings. Everyday I want people to read me as male. I look hot in lingerie. I love my body, sometimes I don't like my voice. I wish I had a dick, but I don't, oh well. XD

Mostly I just say "I'm in the neighbourhood of the masculine side of the gender spectrum".