1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How would you react/feel?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Secrets5, Jun 24, 2016.

1. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello,

How would you feel if 1.5 million British people decided to immigrate to your country even though you had little/no housing, hardly any jobs, a ''dying'' health service, that resulted to a kind of bad economy, knowing that you wouldn't be able to take on the 1.5 million British people without it doing some kind of harm to the overall country - the British immigrants and already residence?

I'm also interested in religious conflicts, so if you're from a majority Islamic* country, how would you feel if we went to your country and tried to impose [violent or non-violent] Christian and/or Atheist values on you?

*You can answer in terms of a different religious majority, but this seems to be where the most conflict is.

Just wondering, I already posted my views on immigration in the UK referendum thread, but I was wondering how you felt if it was British people doing it to you. Or maybe we already do, I don't know.

Looking forward to hearing your replies.

#1 Secrets5, Jun 24, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2016
  2. MlleLs

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Of course, if 1.5 millions people came into any country it would be hard for this country (even if it can be good for the economy but that's not the point)but they were to immigrate because they were in danger where they lived then as human being we can not tell them "Go back to your country and die from war"

3. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I wasn't talking about asylum seekers. Sorry about my miscommunication.

4. MlleLs

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Sorry, what were you talking about then?

5. Libra Neko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I guess I wouldn't be happy about it. But I am not one of those xenophobic people.

6. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    People looking for jobs and homes elsewhere, influx of holiday house ownership, and general other immigration not linking to necessity out of war/violence making it completely unsafe for people to be in their country.

#6 Secrets5, Jun 24, 2016
  7. rudysteiner

Is this a dig at people who come -- er, came -- to the UK?

#7 rudysteiner, Jun 24, 2016
  8. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Don't care? Open borders ftw. Property is theft anyways.

9. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I mean I think this is pretty much Australia, accepting over a million Britons in a country with a ridiculously competitive housing market.

Also you're entirely wrong to imply that immigration is economically harmful to Britain. The net gain is in the billions, including in taxes to fund the NHS. And your housing market isn't strained by immigration as much as by the inefficient use of present housing stock (a retiree couple continuing to stay in their 4-bedroom house is a common scenario) and annoyingly restrictive construction regulations, some regarding green belts and others the result of poor council planning and the lack of attention a unitary state can pay to specific problems in housing.

Britain has always had challenges of values. Jamaican and other West Indian immigration, African immigration and Indian immigration sparked fears about social unity. Eastern European and Arab immigration simply isn't an existential threat.

10. ok455

Send them to Detroit and have them build up the city.

11. undi

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    People with British accents? Socially/Emotionally, It'd be pretty fun! :slight_smile:

As for financially or putting religion into perspective though...? I don't really know either side enough. I haven't had the need to handle financial stuff yet, and religion for me is full of gray areas.

12. Fighter694

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Didnt it happen to us a couple of centuries ago? Oh wait our resources were awesome n jobs were ok n they Didnt want to settle down, they just wanted our resources. But either ways its a pretty bad feeling i agree. Migration is good, but mass migration with imposing so much of burden n exercising so much power isnt acceptable!

13. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My current country of residence, the US, is already chalk full of these types of religious lunatics (just that most of them are Christians). They are a rather large minority. Far larger than your minority. So all I hear here is a bunch of whining.

#13 Browncoat, Jun 25, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
  14. AlamoCity

Well, the British built their empire on the backs of immigration of resources :lol:.

That said, while you could say that the national and cultural wealth of the UK were acquired at the cost of the blood, sweat, and tears of cultures that many in the Leave campaign may or may not have issue with, even if historically Britain has caused a burden on other regions of the world, I don't think the historical damages are justiciable.

Also, I think what people fail to realize is that while we give great deference to different cultures' governments way of doing things, those with less evolved, non-secular states are seen almost as undeveloped and backwards and subject to our pity (i.e. Let the be and act the way they are for cultural reasons). However, once a modern state reaches secularism or at least grants people what we consider our inalienable rights to freedom of worship and press and speech, that nation is judged and compared to its other peers who have evolved.

#14 AlamoCity, Jun 25, 2016
  15. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not at all a fan of open borders, but it's your last sentence that intrigues me. Surely if you've worked for something, it's yours, and you haven't stolen it from anyone?

16. Brytaleith

So I live in Singapore (am I allowed to say this?) and I don't speak for everyone because I'm woefully ignorant on some things but here's my opinion on 1.5 million British immigrants.

Tbvh, my country's government would probably be jumping with joy because they've been trying to increase our population since forever. And the citizens, who've put up with our government's shit also since forever, will probably also be very happy that the immigrants aren't mainland Chinese (no offense meant, I swear, but people complain a lot and maybe they won't complain about this but then again, they might).

We have very little space already, and we've learnt to live with that, so 1.5m brits probably won't make much of a difference (yes it will but I dunno how much of a difference, probably not a lot since the gov't's been building a bunch of houses because they want to increase the population).

I honestly don't think religious conflicts will be a problem. My country's dealt (mostly) peacefully with tons of other religions. We're a very multiracial/religious country, although there are still some spats from time to time, but still less than America, even if that isn't saying much. It's more like, if you tried to force religion on us, the government'll shut you down (never said it was a fun place to live, did I?)

As for the economy and all that other stuff, generally, our economy's pretty well to do, although I can't actually say for sure what might happen if we took in a whole bunch of brit immigrants because I'm currently failing economics and don't really watch the news.

#16 Brytaleith, Jun 25, 2016
  17. SneakyFennec

A commonly heard argument is that the western nations claim total secularism while predominantly islamic countries state is as the national faith.
    I really love when my dad tells me about the 80s when we algerians,biggest minority in France,integrated perfectly there. And similarly non religious poeple down here were much more tolerated.
    World's gone to shite I say,and I say it not two decades in.
    It's sad.

18. timo

I don't like what you're implying here.

If you think immigrants are imposing any religion on the Western European societies you're seriously blinded by the demagogues.

19. GodlyArmadillo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You mean like the south of Spain?

20. RGEm

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm fine with it. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere/was told that the UK makes money of these immigrants (not refugees). Besides my mum immigrated to here from Australia, and she works, pays her taxes etc. Some people act like immigrants take their jobs and live off benefits. My family and my friend whose parents came from Nepal or other countries don't live off benefits, study and work hard to get their jobs and school/uni places and pay taxes.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/jan/19/-sp-thousands-britons-claim-benefits-eu
    Not sure how accurate it is, but we do the same too.
    https://fullfact.org/immigration/are-migrants-less-likely-uk-nationals-claim-benefits/
    Once again, not sure how accurate this is.

Also, I know some people who complain about refugees, and say they should all be sent to prison or back where they came from, which often brings about a brief loss of faith in humanity (my stepgranddad often says these kind of racist remarks, which is discouraging).

Overall, my stance is that immigrants should be allowed to move here, as long as they work and have a job. One last note, many industries often rely on immigrants to do the jobs that other people in the UK don't want to do, such as agriculture.

#20 RGEm, Jun 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2016