1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News The EU referendum: the votes are in. The leave team wins.

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Canterpiece, Jun 24, 2016.

1. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't always agree with Winston Churchill, but...

[YOUTUBE]y5o2WF5K9Go[/YOUTUBE]

2. derVaminoi

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    For defying the supreme Eumpire? Not that I neccessarily think this was a good idea.

#22 derVaminoi, Jun 25, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
  3. alittlemore

I'm an EU citizen, but I've lived in the UK for years, and I was even hoping to get British citizenship one day because I am (was?) really happy here. But since 'Leave' won I keep hearing horror stories, like racists shouting at random people in the street to "get out already" etc. I loved the UK since I first came here because I thought it was a much more tolerant place than my 'homeland', both for LGBT+ people and for immigrants in general. But obviously it's a deeply divided country. I know I don't get a say in this... it just makes me really sad.

4. Sagume Kishin

I wonder where this'll go. I suppose only time will tell.

What we do know, though, is that this'll have a major effect on the UK in the future, good or bad.

I'm not from the UK, but I think it might've been the better idea to stay. And from what I've been reading, that's certaintly what it looks like...

#24 Sagume Kishin, Jun 26, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2016
  5. derVaminoi

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Yup. Scotland might leave the UK, and Northern Ireland too, to try and remain in the EU. So then it'll just be the Kingdom of England and Wales. If even that.

6. Calf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have so far held out from this discussion because I know that it is such a sore subject for those that hoped for remain but having scanned through this thread I couldn't resist.

Wherever you are in the world you will have spotted the overwhelming sense of pessimism amongst those in favour of remain. This was the general atmosphere running up to the referendum and I suspect the reason that, against everyone's expectation, the majority vote was to leave the EU.
    There was never an argument presented to the people to remain in the EU, just the threat of suffering if we were to leave. When the polls suggested the working classes and pensioners would vote strongly inn favour of Brexit, the chancellor threatened them with an emergency budget to raise their taxes and cut their pension income. Democracy in action? No surprise the chancellor is now in hiding.

Even now, when the majority electorate have voted to leave, the general opinion is that they are a minority group of uneducated bigots and racists. The fact is that many, if not most, of those out voters are optimists. Looking forward to a future as a leading democratic nation that trades fairly in the global market and influences foreign policy, not dictates it. The EU doesn't just control the member states within it, it actively oppresses trade and diplomacy in the developing world.

The UK has always been open to those in need, we have always welcomed those that want to join and contribute towards our country and culture. This will not change.
    In keeping with our current policy, it will never be our policy to encourage those that are oppressed in their own country, to come to the UK and live their life at the bottom of our society. It will be our goal to enable them to establish democracy, rebuild their infrastructure, develop stable economy and live with pride and dignity in the country that belongs to them, their home.

We are a nation of caring people. We care about others like us, we care about our environment and we care about the welfare of our worlds wildlife. As a society we have a strong sense of morality. We have (exc NI) legalised gay marriage where others are reluctant, we have banned many practices of animal cruelty that are still legal in other EU states, we have workers rights in excess of the minimum standards set out by EU law.
    We do not need the EU to regulate our ethics and give direction to our moral compass.

The UK will continue to encourage peace and cooperation amongst our allies and beyond. We will still be members of NATO and the G8, our queen will still be head of the commonwealth. There will be no walls built on our borders but there will be bridges built that far outreach a single continent.

There will be no turning our back on Europe. When our friends face uncertainty, as the Ukraine did so recently, we will still be one of the strongest voices to support their right to democratic freedom. As a nation we will still aim to develop strong trade with our neighbours. If and when other states leave the EU we will be the first to lend our support to stabilising their economy and establish new trade deals.

Internally we will strive to reunify. The passion to determine our own future will continue and help every citizen of the UK to be politically educated and involved. A newly inspired generation will become a new breed of politicians. Politicians that will listen and serve the people, that will be engaged with their voters and deliver the long term goals of our nation, not the short term goals of their own careers.

Yes there will be times when things appear worse, when uncertainty and fear dominate our thoughts but these are things that always come with change. We can and will overcome the lows and emerge as a stronger UK but it will be so much less painful if it is what we all agree to work towards as a single united nation of British people.

I see a positive optimistic future for the UK, the EU and the wider world.
    I only hope that others will allow themselves to see that too before throwing themselves face down in the gutter.

7. derVaminoi

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Yeah, this really bugs me when people act like that's the case. Seventeen million people, just old, white, privileged racists? Please.

8. GodlyArmadillo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I really hope to see the UK at the forefront of the refugee crisis and helping the rest of the EU to see how caring they really are. Like when the UK blocked Italy's request for more funding to save more people's lives.

A girl has been compiling an album on Facebook with the racist aggressions people have faced already...

To say that immigration and racism had nothing to do with it is wrong; saying that it had a bit do with it is at best an understatement. I really don't think every single Leave voter is an uneducated bigot, but racism and Islamophobia helped Leave win.

#28 GodlyArmadillo, Jun 26, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2016