1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not sure if it's the right section but...

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by FluffyKinz, Jun 23, 2016.

1. FluffyKinz

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Since this technically can fall under mental health and not physical health but. I have somewhat good news. Yesterday was the first time I had access to being treated for my chronic anxiety, and it feels like such a relief. I still am having troubles finding a counselor/therapist online, but I was finally able to convince my practitioner to let me try the medicine.

Has anyone here ever had experience with lorazepam before? I was shocked at how fast it worked, though I do fear becoming dependant on it. It was the calmest and most serene state i've been in for months, and there is still a small part of me that feels ashamed of having to rely on medication to feel stable instead of handling problems like everyone else...:confused:

2. timetraveltea

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's okay to take medication for your mental health. It's stigmatized, but it's really the same thing as taking medicine for arthritis or blood pressure or something. It's a way to help you stay healthier, and that's what matters.

I've never been on lorazepam, but I've tried various other medications for my anxiety and depression, and I know that sometimes it can take a while for your body to adjust to them. So don't get discouraged if you feel better now but you feel a little not so good later- your body will, hopefully, balance out and leave you feeling better overall. The meds won't "cure" anything but I hope they will really help! If not, there are always other options. Don't give up! You got this :slight_smile:

3. FluffyKinz

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Thanks so much, and funny about the last part, I was just starting to worry that they weren't as effective, like yesterday I took it and it didn't work as well as the first time, but maybe it was just because it was entirely new to my system lol

4. Tyler hereforu

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    This medicine belongs to the group of so-called benzodiazepines.
    They are also used for people with sleeping problems.
    I can understand very well why your practitioner was so reluctant to prescribe it.
    You will probably get used to it very quickly. If possible, only use them on very bad days.
    A lot of people get addicted to benzodiazepines and keep raising the dose so they still can feel an effect. If you are not 100% sure you are strong enough to resist getting addicted, you better refrain from taking this medication.
    There is more reason for concern: There is strong evidence that benzodiazepines considerably raise the chance of getting Alzheimer/Dementia. Now you might think: that happens only if I take this medication for years, but a study found the risk already sharply rises after just 90 pills.

If I were you, I would think again before using them.
    Of course you should weight the risks against your anxiety disorder.
    I had to take benzodiazepines (and still, sometimes) because I suffer from a severe sleeping disorder that can't be managed otherwise but you should be aware that this stuff isn't exactly candy.

5. Clone324B21

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Yay! It's great that you're taking steps to deal with your anxiety! :eusa_danc

I have taken Lorazepam, aka Ativan. Keep in mind that yes, it is a benzo, and yes, therefore, it does have potential to be addictive and you will likely develop a tolerance and need higher and higher doses if you take it regularly. I only use Lorazepam when I am flying (big fear), or on rare days of extremely high anxiety for the above reasons. It does work great in these instances. If your anxiety is such that you need it regularly though, you might want to discuss taking an SSRI (antidepressant, also used for anxiety) or Buspar (an anti-anxiety med that is not addictive) with your doctor or a psychiatrist.