1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News UK EU Referendum - 23/06/2016

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by 741852963, Jun 22, 2016.

?

How will you vote in the EU referendum?

1. Voting to Remain

31 vote(s)
    51.7%
  2. Voting to Leave

18 vote(s)
    30.0%
  3. Undecided

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Not voting

11 vote(s)
    18.3%
  1. radicalmuffins

Out Status:
    A few people
    I wish it were that easy hahahaha. I'm very far away from home because of work but I'm very worried that when I come home it will be a very different place.

2. Aberrance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah changed it once I realised, you quoted me before I managed to.

3. I'm_Danni_x

Personally I don't think we would be able to. However, I've heard that if we did manage to rejoin the EU we wouldn't have the same EU membership terms as before.

4. mirkku

Yeah, I hear you... I finish my postgrad from the UK in September, have to go back there in a year for the graduation ceremony, and in the meantime I've been accepted in another undergrad program starting this autumn... I fear for 1. the tuition fees (are we EU citizens going to pay the oversea price now? That's TWICE as much as now x_x) 2. the state in which I will meet my current classmates again (they all voted for "remain") 3. the morale and well-being of the friends I still have in the UK and cannot really comfort now that it's a too late. :icon_sad:

My only hope is that the divisions it is creating and the global disagreement from abroad, and most alarming the approval of Trump (if that ain't a red flag...!), will prompt the government to reconsider their plans to leave. But then again, foreigner speaking here, so, uh, yeah, I'll - I'll hide and stuff. :icon_redf

5. Vytas17

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    If we ever rejoined which I don't think they'd let us unless it's in many years and we're on much better terms with our European partners then it'd be under strict terms. We'd probably have to join the Schengen Zone and Euro. We'd never have as much influence or power as we do now. They'll probably try to humiliate us as much as possible and I don't know if us Brits with our upper lips will allow that.

#185 Vytas17, Jun 25, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
  6. radicalmuffins

Out Status:
    A few people
    I've checked with my alma mater (I went to UCL).. there's no change in fees for 2016-2017. This might change next year though. UK unis might start charging EU nationals the overseas rate instead of home rates. Uni prices in the UK for overseas students are actually quite ridiculous. Some can go up to three times what a normal UK citizen would pay.

The division is quite worrying. I'm also scared that this event has triggered something that we have not yet quite anticipated like further aggression from Russia or more terrorist attacks in major European capitals. Europe is weakened and some people might capitalise on Europe's vulnerability and use it to their advantage.

7. LionsAndShadows

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    What has happened - the UK voting, albeit by a very small majority, to leave the EU - has come as a huge blow to me. But the voting patterns have revealed something even more frightening: just how divided this “United” Kingdom actually is.

This has its origins in the 1980’s – a decade I feel sure will go down in history as the birth time of some of the most catastrophic political projects in modern history. (The 1980’s was also the most homophobic decade in living memory in the UK – some commentators describe it, accurately in my view, as a period of homo-hysteria.) It was in the 1980s that “working class” people ceased to be just that: working. The industries that had given working class people their identity and sense of community were almost completely destroyed in the UK. There were many reasons for this, not just political – and in many ways change was essential. But the people impacted were ignored by successive governments of various political persuasions. What work they had was generally low paid and had little meaning. Then in the 2000’s the governments opened the way for huge numbers of immigrants to enter the country. Huge numbers came and took the low paid jobs for even lower pay. Still nothing was done.

Actually something was done. Working class people were then blamed by the political elite for complaining. They were described as bigots and racists. In effect they were blamed for their own plight.

In the meantime, the political elite became steadily more and more elite, more and more distant from ‘ordinary’ people. And in the meantime, the lucky ones – people like me, for example – flourished financially in the cocoon of London and the wonder of globalisation.

In the meantime, the political party (Labour) that was established to represent the working people became the very party that refused to accept that the problem was anything to do with immigration.

Indeed, immigration IS only one element in a complex issue. But it became in this referendum the locus of some much frustration because no one in power was ever prepared to even discuss it.

Well we now have the result. The reason we have now decided to leave Europe has very little to do with Europe. It has to do with the UK (as we are still just about called). It has to do with how we jettisoned a whole section of our population to the forces of the globalised free market and let them sink.

Us leaving the EU is a disaster in my view, and one that was entirely caused by UK governments, and has nothing to do with the EU.

8. Bouldghirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I voted to stay but I lost. I think I have to hope that the natural sympathy for LGBT that the UK has shown in recent years won't just disappear. I don't know what the future holds but I am optimistic.

9. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I live in the USA.

Being a real dick and borrowing from history. "ah Europe and it's waring tribes".

Or another way to put it: FYI I like the concept of the EU. It keeps the tribes from waring with each other.

Disclaimer: cause, effect. My dad was a WW2 veteran. He taught me to dislike certain European nationalities. Cause: war on my dad. Effect: taught his son hate.

#189 brainwashed, Jun 25, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
  10. LionsAndShadows

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi brainwashed... you comment about the waring tribes is taken with fun.

The rise of populism isn't exactly absent in the US right now, I hasten to add.

11. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Now the remain people are being sore losers and saying we need another EU referendum. How bloody childish.

12. mirkku

Fortunately it seems that the UK is not parting from everything on the international plate, so military treaties and the likes might remain as they are. Plus, I hope (naively, perhaps) that the EU governments understand that this is not a pre-school playground, and that the whole "you left me yesterday at lunch, so no I'm not taking the bullies off your back today" attitude would be ridiculous and beyond exaggeration, would the UK require immediate assistance.

13. Flowey

If the UK was a human, they would be deeply disturbingly bipolar.
    Just start a counter petition, "keep the result, you such sore losers"! I admit the title needs finer wording xD

14. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    [YOUTUBE]y5o2WF5K9Go[/YOUTUBE]

15. GodlyArmadillo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  16. rudysteiner

This is now at almost 2,500,000 signatures, almost twice the 4% difference in the vote. :lol: Does this not tell us that if we had an 80% or less turnout, we would still be in the EU?

17. GodlyArmadillo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You still are in the EU, until Article 50 gets invoked.

18. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    ... Good Luck to the UK then...

I couldn't believe my own eyes as I read it on the newspapers, I hope the (now) 'EU foreigners' living/working/studying there will have some mercy, but I doubt it...

Think this just going backwards, for both sides.

19. derVaminoi

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    They could very well be the same people who voted, could they not?

20. radicalmuffins

Out Status:
    A few people
    They could be, yes. Honestly, it's all about the politicians now. People can protest all they want but the initial vote has been passed. Sturgeon has expressed that it is now highly likely that another referendum for Scottish independence can take place. There are talks about it in the Scottish parliament. I was hoping another indy ref won't be for awhile but it seems it's going to happen a lot sooner than I had hoped for.