1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News UK EU Referendum - 23/06/2016

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by 741852963, Jun 22, 2016.

?

How will you vote in the EU referendum?

1. Voting to Remain

31 vote(s)
    51.7%
  2. Voting to Leave

18 vote(s)
    30.0%
  3. Undecided

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Not voting

11 vote(s)
    18.3%
  1. People who say "we're going to end up in debt" have never seen the tax prices on cigarettes.. :lol:

2. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
  3. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  4. radicalmuffins

Out Status:
    A few people
    I think so, yes. If Scotland were to be independent, why wouldn't it work out? Scottish leaders have already expressed how the EU framework was a good fit for Scotland and all we needed to do is to elect the right people to lead us. The EU can be problematic and I do acknowledge that but the pros just outweigh the cons. Scotland has benefited from being in the EU and I think that is the reason why people are so keen on staying.

On a more personal level, I've actually benefited quite a lot from being a citizen of an EU member state. I've had research funded by the EU. I've been fortunate enough to work for the ECHO and that alone has widened my horizons and the opportunities that have been offered to me because of that were just beyond me. If I weren't an EU national, I'd not have direct access to these resources at all.

I respect your opinion about the EU but I don't think that's true for me. Atleast, it doesn't feel that way. I didn't feel that the UK's sovereignty was being taken away although I do have a wee bit of a problem about how the EU can sometimes be too involved in a nation's own issues but even EU officials have expressed that mistake and are hopefully working towards fixing that concern.

The EU isn't without flaws and what I wanted to happen was for the UK to remain in the EU and keep acting like the dicks that were are and annoy the shit out of everyone else in the union. But that's that- it's over.

Also, we've been told before that we're not good enough, that we can't make it outside the UK because we've got nothing to offer the rest of the world except kilts, bagpipes and whiskey. Why is this so different from the EU ref? The UK took a leap of faith despite people warning of an impending doom. If Scotland ends prosperous then great but if we end up poorer, I know that my fellow Scotts would be able to find a way to move along. I don't think we're a bunch sissies.

5. WeirdnessMagnet

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You know "poofs" are always next on the list, don't you?

6. Tyler hereforu

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    You can't compare Scotland with the UK. These are two very different economic entities.
    The impending doom is nonsense. It's like it was at the turn of the millennium. A lot of doomsday prophecies were afloat.
    Nobody can predict whether the UK will economically benefit from leaving the EU or will see deterioration of their economy. Too many factors being involved.

The difference between Scotland and the UK is, that the UK's economy is much bigger and can take much more punches than the Scottish economy.

You say you benefited from the EU, but in reality, it was your own country that paid for it. They made contributions to the EU, and then, with that money, the EU funded your research. The UK was paying more to the UK than it got back. The same goes for the Netherlands.

I studied law for several years and I know firsthand that the EU-member states have lost a lot of sovereignty. Sovereignty means (amongs others) making your own laws, but nowadays a lot of laws are made by the EU (though they don't always call it "laws", but that's a technicality). Even worse is the fact that these laws are made in an undemocratic way: we voted for the national parliaments and the government, and they are supposed to represent us, that's the way (indirect) democracy works, but the European Parliament, unlike our national parliaments, has very little power - though they waste incredible amounts of tax money with their meetings divided over Brussels and Strasbourg (which is a ridiculous thing in itself).

7. lemons123

Good news. My country no longer in a union with one of my least favorite countries. Now in an ideal world Russia will vanish in parallel dimension and we'll enter in a coalition with Israel and Japan...but anyhow the UK leaving will be enough for now...

8. radicalmuffins

Out Status:
    A few people
    The UK economy is actually composed of four economies. Scotland has its own economy and it's actually the second largest in the UK. Although still significantly richer, I don't think England can maintain its status without Scotland in the UK.

Yes my country paid for it but I did manage to get something out of it which is actually still a benefit and the access to the free market and being able to move around within the EU is something that I have enjoyed. The European union will need to operate with funds and naturally not everything that will come back to you is always as feasible as a nicer motorway.

I'm not very well informed with how EU laws are actually made. I always thought that these were just guidelines and that member states should craft their laws considering the points given by the EU. I do not think that the EU creates laws for the countries themselves. I also remember that members have a say in crafting these laws. Though I agree on you about its methods of selecting leaders, I think this could be addressed by reforming how european leaders are being elected.

But honestly, there really is no point in discussing this as the vote has been passed and that is what is final.

9. RavenTheRat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Uhmm, I has question. Won't this really screw up the global economy?

Sorry when it comes to this kind of politics I'm always lost.

---------- Post added 24th Jun 2016 at 06:00 AM ----------

Probably North Carolina's doing :lol: I live down the road from two tobacco farms. It's like the only thing this state is good at.

#109 RavenTheRat, Jun 24, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2016
  10. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all

If the Dow is anything to go by then yes - Brexit Backlash: Dow Plummets 500 Points as Markets Reel - NBC News

Last time the NYSE was this spooked it was because the Wyatt Family were ringing the opening bell

11. Tyler hereforu

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay

To a political question a political answer :slight_smile:
    In the short run, it will probably affect the global economy (or is already affecting), but in the long run probably not or not very much. Stress "probably" :slight_smile:

A thing that is much more hideously going on is the creation (printing) of money out of thin air by the European Central Bank: 60-80 billions of euros a month. I think that is a much bigger threat to the European and global economy than the British exit.

12. WeirdnessMagnet

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people

Right now - it would screw it only a little, unless some hedge fund has got a stash of British derivatives gone toxic LTCM-style (that time it was Russia pulling a stunt...)

After that, it would all depend on too many imponderables. Who's the next PM, what kind of budget the new government proposes, how hard EU will be bargaining on post-Brexit treaties, is Scotland really seceding, and again, are there any LTCMs or Lehmans around this time...

But economy would probably be nothing to brag about for a few years, at the very least.

#112 WeirdnessMagnet, Jun 24, 2016
  13. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Even though I voted keep in the UK [posted this earlier today] I think it would be wrong to stay in if the majority of people said leave. It might be ignoring the minority opinion - but if we don't take the majority - how do you suppose we get a democracy? Everyone over 18 got their vote, unless they didn't want to/left it too late, and the decision wasn't made on the basis of personal protected characteristics, it was made on the basis of in or out majority.

Reason why is if the majority of people said stay in, and then the government ignored this and went out due to the minority claiming it ignored them- that would be an offense [if that's the right word] to the people who voted stay in.

That's what I think.

Oh, and I found the bin liners, back to cleaning my room :slight_smile:

#113 Secrets5, Jun 24, 2016
  14. WeirdnessMagnet

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh, and of course on how Dublin performs as the new City...

15. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's clear from news reports that many members of the public had no real perception of the issues and were married to a false sense of patriotism and national fervour that could have been plucked straight out of the pages of The Sun, Mail or Express newspapers. I have seen some truly ridiculous comments on news programmes and social media today and it's incredibly depressing and I feel quite angry about it.

I knew the vote would be close and I was preparing myself for this outcome, but it's still very hard to accept. I was one of the very significant minority (over 16 million actually) who voted to remain, so let's not pretend the leave camp received a resounding endorsement - they absolutely did not! It's being described as a divorce and that's exactly how it feels. Very difficult and messy.

16. Tyler hereforu

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Both EU advocates and opponents make false claims, Patrick; it goes both ways.
    There is one difference: those against Britain staying in the EU had a limited budget and time, while EU propaganda is poured out over us continuously since the start of this now adult monster.

17. Vytas17

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    A few of my friends are regretting their vote and I'm sure a lot of other are too. I'm massively regretting supporting leave, I listened to my heart instead of my head. I never expected us to leave so I was very naive.

I feel especially sad for the young generation who voted 75% to remain in the EU. They're the ones that'll have to live with the consequences and be apart of EU free future which they didn't want. And once we leave we're never going back, the future of the UK and Europe seems so bleak now.

Is there any remote possible of a second referendum? I feel like it'll be completely different result.

#117 Vytas17, Jun 24, 2016
  18. Tyler hereforu

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Isn't it a tad too late to have regrets now?
    Why regrets? The remain camp succeeded to scare you - fortunately too late?

I take it you voted Leave, now be brave and set a nice example so the UK will do well economically and the Netherlands will follow with a Nexit.

There is life after the EU, belief me.

19. Vytas17

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It's too late obviously but the regret is and will always be there. I was very one sided, I never even thought about the negatives and that was very naive and stupid of me :eusa_doh:

We could've helped reform the EU and be apart of something bigger. But we decide to shoot ourselves in the foot and jump ship. The negatives are outweighing the positive at this point and I think people have realised what they have done. Theres a women on the news and she's saying she and her family are all regretting their vote. Regret is all I'm sensing now and that's going to be a powerful theme of the next few month. I'm holding on to the tiniest piece of hope that it'll all work out but I'm not optimistic. The uncertainty is the worst and it's very bleak where I'm at, I'm in a area where leave won and I haven't seen one smile all day. People are scared.

We're going to have seriously economically problems as big businesses are going to move their headquarters to Berlin, Frankfurst, Paris etc causing job loses in thousands. London will no longer be significant as it was. Scotland will definitely leave in next 5 years and NI will maybe join them. United Kingdom is no longer united.

20. eMei

Woohoo, goodbye Brussels. Leave won because the people want to leave. There were no misconceptions, or any other petty reasons as to why the vote turned out in favour of leave: this is the result of the British people.