1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News UK EU Referendum - 23/06/2016

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by 741852963, Jun 22, 2016.

?

How will you vote in the EU referendum?

1. Voting to Remain

31 vote(s)
    51.7%
  2. Voting to Leave

18 vote(s)
    30.0%
  3. Undecided

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Not voting

11 vote(s)
    18.3%
  1. Joelouis

As a patriotic Brit, I could be forgiven for supporting Brexit, but I don't.
    I actually want a closer united Europe for many reasons, one being for the welfare of all it's citizens.

Cameron announcing his resignation is also terrible as, like him or loathe him, I really see him as being a very good PM. Not perfect, but none of us are. Who's going to replace him? Boris bloody Johnson? My God......

The EU and UK will still work but I don't think it will work as well as it would together.
    Like someone said, the referendum result isn't final so there's still hope.

2. Tyler hereforu

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Not final? How is that? It can't get more final anymore.

3. Joelouis

I didn't think the actual result is binding politically.

4. radicalmuffins

Out Status:
    A few people
    By experts, I mean international organisation researchers, economists... those.

A rough period in our economy might not mean that much to you but there will be families who might become homeless, child poverty might surge a wee bit and a heavy reliance on food banks might occur and leave Britain's poor starving on the streets. Maybe you don't know anyone on benefits but if you do, I hope you're there to help them through if it gets worse. We don't even know how long it's going to take for our economy to recover and saying that it won't hurt anyone in the long term is ignorant. But you can't be arsed now because we've got Britain back from those Brussels EU dictators. I guess, that is something you might find amusing.

Well it's quite a shame your capital is strongly opposed to the idea of leaving the EU and so is my country-- maybe Northern Ireland is not as enthusiastic but definitely there. If the worst happens though, do you honestly think that the UK would survive without Northern Ireland, Scotland and a pro EU London (who has very different views from the rest of England - clearly)? I mean frankly, London's economy is bigger than Belgium's so I think they actually have a better chance at winging being a country than both England and Wales combined.

And kindly, don't say the "British working class". This referendum has undone everything british about us.

5. Poroyl

Poroyl Guest

Agreed.

6. WeirdnessMagnet

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    British referenda are technically never binding. Theoretically, the Parliament could do anything it likes with them, up to and including "opinion noted, thank you, citizens" and doing the exact opposite thing. Of course, that would be the cure worse than the disease, even for the most hardcore Remainers... But they seem to attempt to try various delaying tactics to make the 2 year countdown start as late as possible.

And that countdown, I was told, isn't exactly irreversible either. If it lags all the way to next elections or the Parliament is dissolved and early election called (which isn't easy or likely) the next PM could (again, theoretically) say "Our party won on pro-EU platform, so therefore the non-binding referendum is moot, we take it all back" and it would be perfectly legal, with the UK staying on the old terms. It's only after that period is over that the UK is gone for good from the EU.

This is all very theoretical and probably won't happen, but in principle, Brexit is not final until 2018 at the very earliest.

#86 WeirdnessMagnet, Jun 24, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2016
  7. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Rarely am I lost for words, but today I genuinely am. What an absolute mess! I see no reason for jubilant celebration and I am not proud to be British today. Our nation is utterly divided now and before long the nation will divide. Scotland will almost certainly hold a second independence referendum now and I worry about the future of Northern Ireland.

8. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I completely agree with this. I can't believe what's happening.

9. Tyler hereforu

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I don't think politicians can afford it to deny the will of the majority of the people of Great Britain. After all, the UK is a democracy, isn't it?

10. Lazuri

They've heard your decision, but given that it's a stupid ass decision, they should elect to ignore it.

---------- Post added 24th Jun 2016 at 12:36 PM ----------

And I can't get over how applicable this scene from "Always Sunny" is to this whole situation.

[YOUTUBE]oPFsNtxH7FA[/YOUTUBE]

11. radicalmuffins

Out Status:
    A few people
    England and Wales aren't the only countries in the UK but more than half of the the UK population live in England. There was strong support for remain in Scotland and Northern Ireland but ultimately, the English would naturally outnumber us all.

Do you think it's fair that we be taken out of the EU just because the English think so?

12. justinf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So it's a democracy, just only as long as the majority agrees with your opinion. If not, it's a stupid opinion and should be ignored. Wow...

13. WeirdnessMagnet

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Not even all English, for that matter.

Even for England only the margin was still fairly narrow. (And I live in a safe Tory stronghold, which was expected to be definite Leave, but actually went Remain. Despite the fact that only Leavers campaigned and fairly lackadaisically at that.)

#93 WeirdnessMagnet, Jun 24, 2016
  14. Tyler hereforu

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It's the same here in the Netherlands. We recently had a referendum about the Ukraine–European Union Association Agreement. The people voted no. Nevertheless, also here in the Netherlands a referendum is not binding and I'm sure they are trying to find ways to go ahead anyway.
    Earlier, we said no to a European Constitution, together with France. It was replaced by the Treaty of Lisbon ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_Lisbon ) that contained many of the changes that were originally placed in the Constitutional Treaty. So not respectfull of the will of the people of France and the Netherlands.

The best these European technocrats can hope for now, is that the UK will be doing very poorly economically and that the example will be a deterrant to other nations.
    But, I think the people of the UK are lucky to get out in time. We all know what that dumbheaded Italian head of the European Central Bank is doing: creating money out of thin air. Before long, our euro won't have any worth anymore and the British will be very happy to have their pound.

The European Central Bank is printing 60-80 billion euros a month! See: ECB sends interest rates further into the negative, prints more money - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
    People should be marshing in the streets right now and stop them.

15. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    We were also told that if we voted no to independence that we would remain in the EU. Now, we're being dragged out of the EU and are going to told incessantly by Boris and Farage that this is for our own good.

Suffice to say we're pretty livid right now and hoping Iceland and Northern Ireland win by a cricket score at the footy.

#95 GeeLee, Jun 24, 2016
  16. Tyler hereforu

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    If the Scottish people had voted to leave the UK, they could have had their own separate referendum about the EU. They should have thought about that earlier.

17. WeirdnessMagnet

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Scotland wouldn't have been admitted automatically, it would have had to go through the full application process, with several years not in EU, and the In campaign got a lot of votes because of that.

And it was, as I understand, agreed that if Brexit happens there can be a second referendum, because the main selling point of In side wasn't there anymore.

18. Flowey

Well I guess it's now cheaper for me to travel to UK, so yay!

19. radicalmuffins

Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes, I do understand but there was just an overwhelming amount of euroscepticism in England that was apparently enough to pull the whole country out of the UK. What I can't believe is why Wales would opt out when they actually receive support from the EU. We can't really do anything now but probably try to pick up the pieces and try to work with what we have left.

Although I am not up for another referendum (it's highly stressful and very divisive), if it does arise, I might vote out instead. I feel that Scottish interests are not being protected and like what I've posted before, I do not like the idea of a Scotland in the UK that doesn't have a voice. Maybe if we were to leave we'd suffer greatly but I really don't see any other option. If one of those pricks become PM, I don't think we'd have that much of a choice. Either we leave the union and start from scratch or we stay and bear it.

The main reason I wanted to stay in the UK was because we were made to believe by those at Westminster that there was no change in EU membership. It was a strong argument against the out campaign. If we left at that time, we were being told that EU membership wasn't an option.

And weirdnessmagnet is right, should there be a significant change in what was agreed upon on the sept 2014 referendum and the snp manifesto (this included EU membership), Scotland could hold another indy ref.

20. Tyler hereforu

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    And do you really think they would be protected in the EU?
    The only aim of the EU is to protect big capital (remember, it started with theEuropean Economic Community ) and to make nation-states lose their sovereignty.

It seems an independent Scotland is not economically viable, so the Scottish people better think twice before leaving the UK.