1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News UK EU Referendum - 23/06/2016

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by 741852963, Jun 22, 2016.

?

How will you vote in the EU referendum?

1. Voting to Remain

31 vote(s)
    51.7%
  2. Voting to Leave

18 vote(s)
    30.0%
  3. Undecided

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Not voting

11 vote(s)
    18.3%
  1. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Very true, a sorcerer's apprentice would do exactly what Cameron did: not set rules for what a majority consists of and rely on a simple majority, right now, this result is a statistical tie. Had he set the bar higher, say 60% either way, there would be a far more satisfactory outcome for all concerned.

Political stupidity has never been so blatantly on display, and this not just in the UK.

2. WeirdnessMagnet

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, his own party being mostly pro-Brexit (which is why he doesn't have the votes in the Parliament to even try that) didn't help.

Anyway, the question now is who replaces him and when. With some political will and political skill it's still possible to make it at least livable... But I suspect it would be some kielbasa-banning type, talking big talk and having nothing to back it up (Heard from someone who read it on Twitter that Farage already said that there aren't additional funds for NHS in Brexit after all, that was "a mistake.")

#62 WeirdnessMagnet, Jun 23, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2016
  3. SpaceOddity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Apparently the £ has just dropped to the lowest it's been in 30 years...

4. 741852963

This is exactly the sentiment that has driven this "win". Its a slogan you hear repeated everywhere in areas like mine, by not the nicest of people (as an American equivelant think gung-ho Trump supporters).

And yes it ultimately means:
    "Make Britain whiter"
    "Stop Britain being liberal"
    "Stop minority rights"

Summed up perfectly.

These people have destroyed Britain and the UK (literally crashing the economy overnight and causing an inevitable split from Scotland and a possible split from NI) in order to "Make Britain Great Again" or some BS like that.

How can we make Britain great if is now on a one-way trip to disintegration?

5. GayBoyBG

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    All that's left now is for Trump to win president. As someone said long ago(can't remember who) - God, save me from living in interesting times!

6. Aberrance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm so pissed with this outcome. Woke up at at 6:15 and the pound had already dropped to the lowest it had in 3 decades. We're going to be shoved into recession the entire time I'm in uni and it's down to the old brexiters who are going to be dead in 10 years. It's ridiculous. Young people were 60% remain whilst older were 60% leave. They've knowingly ruined their children and grandchildrens futures. Plus now Farage and Johnson are going to have higher levels of power we can look forward to a UKIP government.

7. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Old people still can have an opinion, according to the anti-discriminatory law. I mean, I could die tomorrow, my opinion yesterday still counts.

Even if we've left the EU that doesn't mean people will stop voting for pretty much just Conservative and Labor. But to be honest, I've lost faith in all political groups.

I voted keep in EU in the end, I wanted out to ... can't think of the word but ... really just because the government wanted in, but I thought if I voted leave I would regret it, and not regret staying in.

Want to go downstairs to get some bin liners to clean out of my room of school stuff [finished yesterday :slight_smile: ] but I really don't want to discuss my vote, I avoided it yesterday with my dad but since it's over my mum might ask me. I don't really like telling my parents things like that.

8. Mojan

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Hurrah, we won! There's nothing like waking up in the morning to good news.

9. Eveline

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Sigh, now David Cameron has declared that he is resigning, his speech actually made me tear up. :frowning2:

10. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You may have won, but what have you gained?

11. radicalmuffins

Out Status:
    A few people
    Our economy is failing. The experts that you didn't want to listen to are frantically trying to fix what's left of it. We need to establish trade links immediately if we want to stay relevant but that's not even going to matter since Northern Ireland and Scotland might just leave the UK anyway. Does this sound like good news to you?

12. SpaceOddity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The economy is going to fluctuate over uncertainty. This vote JUST happened. It will regain strength as things settle down and people stop throwing words around. When I first heard the £ dropped as much as it did it startled me too but then I came to my senses. The sky didn't fall and the people have spoken.

13. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Britain hasn't been thrown into permanent crisis, but it has opened up very large structural problems. Namely, these are problems regarding the shakeup of political institutions, a change in the EU balance of power, the increasing threat of a collapse of the United Kingdom as Scotland rejects this overwhelmingly English decision, the risk of unfavourable changes in trade relations with the EU and doubts over a number of businesses' desire to remain in the United Kingdom, which will depend entirely on how favourable the EU's conditions will be.

A government hamstringed 13 months into its term, a run on the pound and a harsh backlash from markets are all present issues which will stabilise eventually. Stabilisation doesn't necessarily mean recovery, though. The changes I listed above risk prolonging the political and financial crises. These will be harder to repair thanks to those structural factors requiring decisive action, which is hard to with the present political crisis. It's a bad state to be in.

Crisis is rarely permanent, but overcoming a crisis weakened and a healthy political and economic situation are two very different things, just as swimming laps and not drowning are very different things.

14. pinkpanther

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This actually might not be correct in the long run. The renegotiations will take years, a lot more than two years actually, which means that there will be constant uncertainty in the market for a very long time. That is most definitely not good for business.

15. SpaceOddity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Undoubtably it is a risk, but there is a risk with all votes. And yes, now the powers at be better play their cards well if they want to repair. There's a lot of name calling and theories being thrown around right now that is a little bit like toddlers having a temper tantrum and it's a little embarrassing to witness.

Also, on the economy st the moment .. The financial crash of 2008 saw the Dow Jones fall 18.3 percent on Oct 6 and it did level out. It's not good but it wasn't hopeless. And there are a lot of industries in the UK that the EU won't allow to suffer. If they did, they'd be foolish.

16. Tyler hereforu

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Congratulations, GREAT Britain! After the Brexit, we in the Netherlands will take care of the Nexit!

17. Mojan

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Which experts? So you think our economy will just collapse :grin: ? Sure, things will be rough for a temporary period. If they wanna go then let them. Yeah, it awesome news for the British working class.

18. justinf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congrats Great Britain! Very good news.

I just hope the Netherlands will wake up and follow their lead.

Verry verry happy, this is history being made.

:eusa_danc my thoughts exactly, haha.

19. Tyler hereforu

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It's a shame we can only be second, now :icon_sad: :lol:

:kiss:to all the British lads who voted to leave :eusa_clap

:smilewave

20. timo

This is a very very sad day for everyone.