1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kids and Pride

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by RosePetals76, Jun 15, 2016.

1. RosePetals76

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, I really want to go to a Pride parade about an hour away from me. I would have to take my kids. Part of me is apprehensive, and the other part thinks I really need to take them. I've come out to my kids, though they probably don't fully grasp it. They've never seen me with a woman that I'm dating, and I haven't been out very long. I'm still working on my own acceptance in some ways, but I know this is truly who I am. Do other think it's okay to take kids to a Pride parade? (It's not a big city one.)

2. mirkku

May I ask how old are your kids?
    I have only seen happy kids in Prides so far - I mean, unless they are having a "kid" time, crying because the sky is too high or the water too watery... :wink: Although it might be best to spare them too much information at once if you have recently come out, attending a parade might help them understand better what it actually means for you. Plus, parades are colourful and fun!
    Just be sure to stay away from the big "mass" of people to avoid confusion. I don't think security in itself is going to be an issue. People look out for each other. :slight_smile: Not to mention they will most probably be other kids there. Dunno about your city, but my childhood & teen years city always had a special train/space for the children to play and relax before and during parades.

3. RosePetals76

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My kids range from 7 through 12, so we don't have many "the water is too watery" type days anymore. Lol. I feel like seeing other families with gay parents may half them not feel so isolated as I move forward. I came out to them in March, so they've had a little bit of processing here and there.

4. mirkku

Oh, not that young then! =) Good for you for the no-nonsensical-drama thing. It can become tricky real quick. :grin:
    Then I'd say: go for it.

5. Libra71

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    hi RosePetals76, absolutely, bring your kids along.

I took my son to the parade this year - he is 8 years old. He had fun as kids get a lot of attention (got handed lots of things like bracelets and balloons, also we arrived late but other parade goers made room for my son so that he could have good visibility).

The best part was his curiosity and sensible questions about the purpose of the parade, why so many corporates and NZ police and army had a presence etc. I nice way for him to understand diversity and acceptance.

Have fun.

6. Silver Sparrow

Hi there! I've definitely seen kids at Pride parades before. I know that a lot of areas have kids/families activities or booths at the end of the parade. That could also be something to look into for your family.
    I hope you have a great time!

7. yeehaw

My kids are 3 and 5. Once I get to a place where *I* feel ready for pride, I plan to take my kids with me. I'm fairly closeted still. This year I will be out of town for our big pride parade, but I have my eyes on next year with my kids. The city I live in is fairly big, I don't have any hesitation about taking them. I have friends who have taken their kids and had good things to say about it.