1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Question For Trans Men and Women

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by iiimee, Jun 14, 2016.

1. iiimee

Okay, so I know that most women don't want to talk about this, and most definitely most trans men don't, but how often do you guys go to the gynecologist, if at all? For those who do, how important do you think it is to go? For those of you who don't, why don't you, and do you feel that you could be more healthy if you actually went?

Personally, I'm young and have never been, but I suspect I should because I started my cycle when I was twelve, and ever since then have only had periods every three months, or four times a year... I'm lucky by some standards, but all the signs point to ovarian cysts... X_X Ughh, part of me once to go in case I have cancer, but the other part of me doesn't want them to somehow fix it and my periods start becoming monthly, or even just spending a whole appointment having the parts I hate being looked at... Ugh, it sounds horrible...

2. iiimee

3. Riz

Riz

It's still your body and it's important to take care of yourself, you might feel extreamly dysphoric about it, on top of the usual fear and awkwardness of it...
    But rather than live with the constant worry, please seek help.

I haven't had a gyn appointment but I've had a child so I guess in a way I still have? People are really nice to you because they know how awkward everything is.

4. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've never been. It is one of my greatest fears and has been since I started puberty. I've always kinda told myself I didn't need to because I don't have sex with men and I seem fine, but I know that is a dangerous assumption. I actually avoid doctors altogether in case they want to look "down there" at all. I'm sure it's not something any afab person looks forward to, but I have an almost phobic distaste for the idea. This makes a lot more sense knowing I am trans. I can't handle someone poking and prodding at parts I pretend I don't have.

That being said, if I actually had a problem, I would probably bite the bullet and go, but it would probably be pretty traumatic.

You should go if you are having problems. You will have to go to doctors (including "that kind") eventually if you start hormones anyway. Especially since you will eventually prolly need a hysto. I'm sorry you are going through this though. Finding a trans friendly doctor would probably help. (*hug*)

5. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I haven't seen one since I was...gosh, 19 I think? I mostly stopped because now that I'm in transition I don't want to make things awkward. I know I should really be careful, but my dysphoria has always gotten in the way.

I would say if you're experiencing problems, you should talk to your doctor in case it's something serious. It's better to be safe than sorry. If it helps, reaching out to a trans friendly gyno can probably make things less uncomfortable, especially if they respect your identity and don't misgender you.

6. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You should have that checked at least every once in a while.

While I understand that going to the gyno is awful no matter your gender, the risks of not getting periodic checkups are too great, particularly if you already have some gynecological problems. My mom, a 50-year-old cisgendered woman, spent 25 years without checkups and (luckily) came out of that with just two large fibroids.

Guess it's better to have something you'd rather forget checked out, that having that something kill you. Right?

7. Willa

Check out an organization called Trans Birth. They focus mostly on midwives, but they also have OBGYNs on staff who have committed to doing respectful, affirmative work for trans and gender nonconforming people. You can search for providers in your area. Some of them also have special options for low-income trans people. They can help you find a gynecologist who will treat you like a man, or treat you like a genderless person, or whatever it is that you need to feel safe.

8. thepandaboss

I'd say every year for a checkup. I for one need to follow my own advice. It's been a little over a year since my last regular exam not including STD testing (which I had immediately after my last relationship) and a medical test my doctor ordered to rule out different conditions.

---------- Post added 19th Jun 2016 at 12:01 PM ----------

But talk to your doc. Does he know you're trans? If so he can probably help you find someone who's a little more inclusive. And ask local guys in your area who they recommend.