1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay pride: should it continue?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ChillPenguin, Jun 13, 2016.

1. bookreader

Out Status:
    Some people
    I misread the post again. My final answer is that it should continue because we can do it. We can bounce back, sort of.

2. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, we really need Pride now. I'd be going to Philly Pride this weekend if I was off work.

3. faustian1

They didn't cancel school because there was a school shooting, so we shouldn't hide because the nut jobs want to tie up all the women and kill the gays.

4. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, in order to make any more progress, it is necessary.

5. Vytas17

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Like others have stated, we need it now more than ever. Don't let these horrible deaths be in vain, don't let these monsters win. For the first time, I'm going to my local pride (it's not till September unfortunately) because I'm proud to be gay, I'm proud of the LGBTQ community. We got to fight for our rights because if we don't, who will?

#25 Vytas17, Jun 13, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2016
  6. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My local Pride isn't until August, so I have time to put in for days off. I think I'll go though.

7. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We can't stand down. We can't let the memory and the honor of those who died be forgotten.

In these moments, more than ever, we should keep going. I don't like emotive messages or inspirational phrases, but, this time, i think it is important to say: Our fight is not over, and we will not surrender to hate and evil.

We just want to be free to love those we love. And we will keep fighting.

For those who like rock, i'll leave this quote from "Defy You", by The Offspring. The LGBT movement is still alive, and we will honor the victims of this cruelty by not giving in to hate.:

"You cannot stop us
    You cannot bring us down
    Never give up
    We go on and on!
    You'll never break us
    Never bring us down
    We are alive!"

8. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Cancel it? No, no, no, no, no! I haven't gone in some years now, but I'll definitely be at Baltimore's Pride festival this year, coming up in a few weeks. It's always been a very diverse crowd; I don't think I've ever been to a pride event that's so balanced in terms of black/white/Hispanic/Asian, before. It lends a nice dynamic, in terms of a show of unity among so many people of so many backgrounds.

And I think this years will be especially charged, given the recent horrific events, and the threats that Republicans still pose to maintaining the rights LGBT people do have, and the ones we still lack. The fight is not over, not against violent extremists, and not against our own ideological right-wing extremists.

#28 HuskyPup, Jun 13, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2016
  9. Vesta

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Absolutely. The very point in Pride is that it's recognised as a symbol and a stance against violence and discrimination as well as equality for those who are LGBT+. Many have lost their lives for just being who they are and stopping it in my opinion would only make their deaths meaningless.

10. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No, it needs to continue. Like others have said, if it is cancelled, then the homophobes and terrorists win. I won't be able to go this year, but it has nothing to do with the attacks. I just am scheduled to work :frowning2:

11. Zen fix

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Absolutely shouldn't be cancelled, but security needs to be increased.

12. Akane

I honestly cannot bring myself to go to the OKC pride, but I went to the Tulsa one before the shooting but that is just be being a wuss but I also work a new job that weekend.

However, I do not like the idea of cancelling prides this year. But if you are too frightened do not go, honestly, I have a potential to get anxiety and panic attacks so that is one reason why I am not going.

13. ouji

ouji Guest

I think we need it now more than ever. The Portland Gay Pride Parade being held at Waterfront Park is on June 18 and 19 which means it's only a couple days away. I have never been to a gay pride parade, but in light of the events that happened in Orlando I plan on going to show solidarity. As others have said we need to not let their deaths be in vain. We must honor their memory. We must take a stand against violence.

14. purplewolf6

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    The people who are against it would love for us to shut our mouths and be closeted but I don't think we should be in depression for those intolerant. We need events like Pride to unwind and just be ourselves. I personally haven't been to a Pride event but it's an amazing feeling to be around nothing but those apart of your community spreading love. It's needed in times where many of us face bigotry thus hide who we are.

15. iiimee

I just read all the comments and I'm happy to say not one person so far would cancel Pride!

16. Nikky DoUrden

This sums it up, nothing to discuess further! :icon_wink

And it does *not* ensure safety by canceling pride parades...

#36 Nikky DoUrden, Jun 14, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
  17. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hell yeah, it should continue. Can't let the terrorists and haters win. This is as good a time as any for the LGBT+ community to stand together and celebrate! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride: :thewave: :newcolor:

18. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Firstly, I do not on any planet believe that cancelling Pride parades would reduce anti-LGBT violence - indeed, I believe the opposite.

I do understand your reasoning, in light of the recent violence against us etc.
    But if you look at it one step closer and apply historical analysis - are things, now, with the continued socio-political struggle of the queer movement, better or worse for LGBT people? I'm assuming you will say it is better - if not, let me stand corrected and explain if you wish.
    Why is it that things are better? We live in a hierarchical system where every person lives by feeding off of the person below them. Nothing comes for free. If you want something, you have to take it. That is what we have done. By smashing the privilege of the people above us in social standing, we have improved our own. Through fighting. Through persiently saying that we're here, we're queer, and you better get used to it because we're not going anywhere.
    What if we would stop with this? What if we would stop fighting? What would be the consequences? Well, firstly, what of the countries and places where the LGBT movement has even further to go, (speaking relatively from my Western perspective)? They might be discouraged, who knows. And what about us who live in places where many LGBT rights have been realized? Some would agree that it's already good enough. Well, for some it is. But I also think it would be faulty here to assume that it is impossible for us to be pushed back with time, if we give up our fight.

I think my views are obvious here. I say we continue pressing on, that we may hopefully see a brighter tomorrow.

19. tupperwareremix

Out Status:
    A few people
    Absolutely not. That's what they want. In order to show them that they haven't won you need to live boldly and bravely.

Security does need to be increased to ensure added safety.

20. silverdeer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I agree :slight_smile: