1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Mass Shooting at Orlando Gay Nightclub

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by OnTheHighway, Jun 12, 2016.

1. KnucklesNation

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This is obviously a hate crime, I'm just wondering if it was a hate crime against America as a whole or just the LGBTQ community?

#161 KnucklesNation, Jun 12, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2016
  2. FionaStarfall

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My thought are with the fallen and their families and friends. And to all the people hurting around the world for them. I hope this sort of cruelty comes to an end soon. That one day, we'll never hear about this kind of hate happening.

3. NaomiB

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
  4. johnnyr860

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I live here right in Orlando about 10 minutes away from where the club is located. I have cried all day to the point where I dried up all my tears so I had no more to cry even though I wanted to cry some more. A friend of mines from work lost 3 of his friends in that night club. 2 of them were shot dead cold blooded and the 3rd is in a coma they have no idea if he will survive. Another mutual friend of ours is a girl who works with us and she was telling us she works at the night club a few days a week and was down the street from the club at a store getting ready to go to work when the shooting happened.

I work at the mall here and today at work we were told by Mall security that 2 men who work at the gucci store upstairs were confirmed dead in the shooting when they didn't show up for work today. My boss was being a b**ch to everyone so I told him off. He was going off about how we weren't working hard enough and that he doesn't care if we are distraught about the shooting but we need to work harder. Once I told him I would call HR on him he settled down. He has a few strikes with HR so he can't afford another call to them. My friend who lost 3 of his friends was a mess I told him to go home and let me cover the rest of his shift at work but he refused and said he would be fine.

As of right now the dad of the shooter said the guy saw 2 men kissing in Miami and he hated seeing that which caused the shooting but police and the FBI are still investigating in the guys apartment for a motive so we don't know yet if what the dad said can be verified as a probable cause. Another lady who was interviewed on the local news here was sharing text messages she exchanged with her son when he was being held hostage in the bathroom during the shooting. The interview was done last night during the shooting and no update was given so we are unsure if the guy is one of those who survived or not.

Either way please keep us all in your thoughts and prayers as my community and I get through this massive and horrific tragic shooting that took place.

5. derVaminoi

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    *The default conclusion of that should be "God is a dick".

#LuciferWasRight2016

6. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That is terrible to hear. It has to be hard to be in that area during this hard time. If your boss continues to act like that, I would report him to HR because it is clear that he needs some sensitivity training at the very least.

I cannot imagine how hard it is to be in the Orlando LGBT community at this time. I'll be keeping you and the many others impacted by this in my thoughts.

7. johnnyr860

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you. What happened was the other day he went to starbucks upstairs and left me alone in the store with no managers or employees to help (I was closing shift that night) and he isn't supposed to do that. By company rules there always has to be at least one employee and one manager in the store at all times. He violated this to go get a coffee at starbucks. As soon as I reminded him about this and threatened to call HR he appologized and said a call to HR would not be necessary.

My mom called to see how I was holding up and I broke down on her. She came right over and I flooded her with tears and the biggest and longest hug I have ever given anyone ever. It's been rough. But yes thank you for your thoughts and prayers. I appreciate them much and I am sure others do too.

8. Quen

Due to work and an internet malfunction, I was only able to get this posted now. My thoughts on the matter: I am furious, ferociously enraged that this is a thing that can even happen at all, and "in the land of the free," no less. The fact that people are still dying due to hatred and neglect based around personal circumstances that they cannot control is the reason that I cannot say I am proud to be an American.

Yesterday was the first time in over a year that I came onto this site, and I'm glad that I did because I think we can all use the support from each other in this tragic time for our community, myself included. Personally, I even more motivated to come out to the people around me, to be openly and proudly defiant of the hatred that is still so clearly directed at us.

To the surviving victims and the loved ones of all who were harmed in this tragedy: I hope that you will find comfort, support, peace, and justice for all that you've gone through and will go through because of today's events. To the LGBT+ community at large: I hope that we can find the same. And to those who did not survive: may your next destination, wherever or whatever that may be, be a kinder, gentler place than this one.

9. bookreader

Out Status:
    Some people
    I have a question. Will this tragic event set us back? Like do you think more and more people will be afraid to come out?

10. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Unfortunately, LGBT rights are still tenuous. I am reminded of that white shooter in a black church in Charleston. We can just settle for "tolerance" in the wider culture. As long as we're having debates about basic rights like using bathrooms or recognition of marriages, there isn't going to be a change of heart among the most conservative groups of American society.

11. Lipstick Leuger

#whywestillneedPride......

12. derVaminoi

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I don't think terror attacks will have any lasting effect. But there are other developments in the political landscape that worry me.

13. rainbowlovatic

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    There is so much hate in the world; it sickens me. Seems to me that peace would be easier, but what do I know? My very deepest sympathies to everyone affected by this senseless act of hate. I wave this flag for every victim of homophobia :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride:

14. RawringSnake

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Relevant:

[​IMG]

My sincerest condolences to the families of all the victims.​

Preach it. I'm forever disappointed that there are LGBT folks so naive, so sheltered and out of touch with the world around them that they have completely duped themselves into thinking homophobia isn't a thing anymore.

#174 RawringSnake, Jun 12, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2016
  15. LostLion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Bad last few days for a lot of people across the world. My prayers and condolences go to all the victims and their families.

Terrorism must be defeated.

16. Lovisa

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Horrible and frightening.

17. YeahpIdk

I think some will be afraid and have a hard time coming out if they're already having a hard time. I think LGBTQ+s' will be afraid to go to their safe and celebratory spots - which is all completely valid. But, I almost came out on social media today because of it. If anything, it looks like I'm either extremely supportive and compassionate about the community, a part of the community, or both. I have been tweeting and retweeting and liking and sharing all day everywhere about this. I know others who wanted to come out as well. It's a time like this where we become even more brave to be who we are, so we can all stand together.

18. Tectonic

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
  19. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    2 months before moving, and I'm definitely going to say I'm not proud to be an American.

We go back to the same-old, same-old when this happens. But here, there's something we need to look at. If this really was an act of ISIS, who are the Republicans going to side with - us, or ISIS? I've met many a republican who'd say us, but I really fear that may not be the case with the majority. We have this threat on our soil now, and it's our duty to get rid of it - Republicans have been saying this for over 16 years, now. Where's the tune going?

We've all got to stand together and defeat ISIS together. As America. As Europe. As Iraq and Iran. As Afghanistan and Pakistan, and all the -istans. As Christians, jews, athiests, buddhists, and yes, muslims.

We have 2 global threats - Climate change and ISIS. If we're not going to agree that one is an actual threat, might as well tackle the one we all *seem* to agree on.

But that means we have to stand together, first.

This is where we set our differences aside and stop bickering about bathroom issues. I know we can. I know America can, because half of it did for Bernie. But everyone needs to stand together to defeat ISIS in whatever way we can. We need to make love win.

20. KnucklesNation

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It's not fair to blame God for Humanity's crimes.