1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Mass Shooting at Orlando Gay Nightclub

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by OnTheHighway, Jun 12, 2016.

1. AJ56

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I honestly cannot believe what is happening. My heart goes out to everyone involved in this awful tragedy! :cry:

2. GayBoyBG

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Most of you misunderstood me, which is maybe my fault for choosing words poorly, but I meant that Trump will be the only one getting something positive from all this, as he was saying "Ban muslims" few months ago, which I suppose is his way to attract more voters. This act was carried by a muslim man so- ...

3. Capricorn98

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    sort your shit out America

4. Romi

Do not blame America.
    Do not blame guns.
    Do not blame the shooter's race/religion.

That's the worst way to look at this.
    That makes you part of the problem.

If a black, gay man goes and blows up a bank full of people in Germany are we gonna blame all the blacks and all the gays and talk about how Germany needs stricter laws on the materials needed to make bombs?

HOW DOES THAT FIX THE PROBLEM???

This is not the time to start attacking people verbally or laying blame.
    This is the time to unite and work together, to show compassion and reach out our hands to those grieving and in need.
    Think about the repercussions before you open your mouth.
    There are more important things to deal with right now.

5. ouji

ouji Guest

I totally agree with you.

6. awildscrewup

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Religion, homophobia, anger and prejudice... Gay people of the world, we are in one of the most accepting countries on the planet but that's not going to make a difference becuase things like this still happen. People are dying. People have been dying. radical fundamentalist religion still holds power over billions of people. Abrahamic religions are by their nature against LGBT becuase they want to be, and resent all efforts of inclusion or safety for LGBT people. The best these religions can get to is tolerance, there is no acceptance. They can say they aren't against gay people, but their text and reasoning behind the teaching tells young minds these kind of things are, in some shape or form, justified. We can try to change our public image but we are nowhere near far along enough to stop things like this from happening. No one is.

Today hold your family close, even if like mine they reject you becuase of their religion. Religion should be about compassion and love, and acceptance.

#46 awildscrewup, Jun 12, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2016
  7. lemons123

50 dead....speechless. Even worse: this happens in a country many people claim to be "gay friendly". Really can't add much now, just rip.

8. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It baffles me how anyone in their right mind thinks assault rifles, of all things, should be legal. What the hell do you want to do with that if not commit mass murder??

I'm truly saddened by this tragedy, I really am, but it is hard to keep feeling this way when the United States refuse to tackle the problem head on :/

#48 RainbowGreen, Jun 12, 2016
  9. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Looks like I have a phone call to make. I have folks in that area.

10. JB2015

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Earlier in the thread there were comments referring to a possible ISIS connection.

There are reports that the shooter placed a 911 call to the Orlando PSAP before the shooting, and pledged allegiance to ISIS leader Abu Omar al-Baghdadi

11. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If that's true, that means that their terrorist attacks have crossed the ocean. This is terrible news :/

12. Valkyrimon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The fact is that if this guy went in there with a knife, chances are he would not have killed 50+ people. Guns facilitate murder. No, they are not the sole perpetrator of murder, but they make it a ton easier. I will not blame guns, but I will blame ludicrously lax gun control laws. How does this fix the problem you ask? Speaking out against this is the only thing we can possibly do to prevent as many being killed in this fashion in the future. I agree that reaching out and sowing compassion is a valuable action, but compassion will not save lives. It sucks, but its the truth. Never in the UK would you get back to back shootings like this. Ignoring lax gun laws is nothing more than burying your head in the sand until the next group of innocents is mowed down.

13. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If you ignore the fact that there is a problem with Islamic extremism in the world right now, you are part of the problem as well.

The shooter pledged allegiance to ISIS before the shooting: Orlando Nightclub Shooter Called 911 to Pledge Allegiance to ISIS: Sources - NBC News

This is not some isolated incident; ISIS has been influencing people around the world to commit these attacks. No, I am not saying "all Muslims" or "all Afghanis" or anything like that. But I am saying that this is a problem that stems from Islamic extremism, and to pretend that that has no relevance does not solve the problem either. All facets of the problem must be addressed. That includes whether or not religious extremism plays into this, and to what extent.

If we identify that young Muslim men around the world are being radicalized and influenced by ISIS, there may be a way to stop that. But it requires acknowledging the influence of Islamism and ISIS.

#53 Libertino, Jun 12, 2016
  14. ouji

ouji Guest

News just came in that a man with arsenal was heading for the gay pride parade in Los Angeles.

15. yuanzi

Saw the news this morning. Truly tragic. So many dreams cut short for no good reasons at all.

Religion might be a factor, but I just can't imagine the shooter to be an empathetic and well-adjusted human being. There has to be something very wrong with his life/mental state for a long time...

16. alexandr

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
  17. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
  18. kibou97

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Gun control seriously needs to happen, it's simply pathetic that nothing in regards to it has happened yet with all the mass shootings over the years here. I doubt banning guns would ever happen but gun control seriously needs to come into effect. There's no reason why one should have access to heavy weaponry like an AR15. Who knows if having it would have completely prevented it but it would have been much harder to pull off and not as many would have died from it.

#58 kibou97, Jun 12, 2016
  19. emiee

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This is just heartbreaking and terrifying. I'm working on coming out to everyone and it's scary to think there are people out there who hate LGBT people so much they're willing to kill and die because of their hatred.

20. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yep. I thought as much as soon as I heard the man's name. Assumption with little evidence? Of course. Later confirmed to no surprise on my part? You better believe it.