1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jill Stein for president 2016?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Formality, Jun 11, 2016.

1. Formality

I just recently got to know about Jill Stein, I've been spending some time now investigating her policies and views, listening to different interviews and I'm left wondering why such a great candidate gets basically no media coverage?

If I were an American citizen and if it happens that Bernie is not part of the election in November I would totally cast my vote on Jill Stein.

I have to say that in all honesty I think I'm closer in line with her views than Bernie's. I listened to this interview by Cenk Uygur on TYT with Jill Steiner earlier this evening and I think it hit at some very important points. Her ideas about how we solve the crisis in Syria are probably the best I've heard so far from any candidate, as she admits to what the real problem with Daesh is, the funding. Not only that but she is one of few politicians that seem to have a good understanding of the climate and in how serious of a situation we are in right now. She also wants to bail out all student loans and make colleges free, universal healthcare etc.

If you have time I urgue you to watch this interview. It is about an hour long. These third party candidates get basically no media coverage in comparison to the two mainstream party candidates, that's why I think it's important that people spend some time investigating the alternatives. Especially since you are part of deciding who should rule the most powerful country on this planet.

So, for the sake of the rest of us, please.

Link to interview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MMahrBteE8

2. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    American politics is winner-take-all for the most part. Since she is not in one of the two major parties, people are very reluctant to invest in her because her chances of winning are slim to none. They would rather dump all their attention into the Democratic candidate.

This is why third parties have a hard time succeeding in general elections. Enough people need to vote for them to have any chance, but too many people just don't think they have a chance at winning.

At this point, I agree with her more than any other candidate (Bernie probably won't make it). However, me voting for her really wouldn't make a big difference. For a third party candidate to matter, you would need to convince a significant amount of people.

#2 Skaros, Jun 11, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
  3. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No Hilary 2016! :slight_smile:

4. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Remember the last Swedish elections? I remember when a panel with one member from each party came to my school. What the MC of the event said before the panel participants started talking is very telling of the reality of our multi-party political systems. She said (I paraphrase) "We live in a democracy and thus have the freedom to think what we want. However, since there are the eight parties, we must choose one of these to represent your views." In other words, firstly you have to vote for a party, and secondly, you are not to think outside of the framework of the policies of the parties, but to choose what you perceive to be the last evil among them. This spin-the-wheel-but-without-any-nice-treats game known as liberal/representative democracy has always been like this. It is still top-down, and, most importantly, parties and party members are not allowed to make suggestions that significantly defy the status quo.
    Sure, Jill Stein seems to be one of the better candidates among the somewhat big names. But only a Republican or Democrat will be allowed to be a candidate.

5. onlythebulls13

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Ill be voting for Jill Stein come November... unless theres a miracle and Hillary gets indicted and theyll be forced to make Bernie the Democratic nominee. As we all know though, thats pretty far fetched.

I also am a huge TYT fan and saw those interviews with Cenk. My views probably more closely align with Stein over Sanders but I've been following Bernie for a few years now (brunch with Bernie on the Thom Hartmann Program) and hes been fighting for what i believe in for decades. Either way, Stein or Sanders, I would be the happiest American... too bad it looks like that wont be happening but one can dream!
    #BernieOrGreen

6. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm all for Team Jill/Bernie. That would be fantastic, but sadly, I don't see her or Bernie standing a chance anymore with how things are turning out.

It feels like they might only have a chance at snagging a victory is if (1) the superdelagates vote in their favor, (2) Hilary is indicted on criminal charges and has no choice but to drop out or (3) Jill/Bernie get enough write in votes to have a fair chance. I've heard a lot of people say if it comes down to Hilary and Trump, Trump's going to win. If it's Trump and Bernie, Bernie's going to win.

Yeah, the superdelagete voting isn't until July, but still. I feel like this is going to be a dark year for us.

7. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree! I'm glad you changed your mind. No Hillary. Vote Jill Stein!

Jill Stein actually seems rather great and I think she'd do a good job and would be someone I could actually trust with such a powerful position. She is a little more to the left than I am personally but she's much better than any of these other corrupt candidates.

8. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've been reading more about Jill Stein lately and the more I do, the more I'm impressed with her views and her arguments. (Political tests I've taken show I align with Bernie foremost, followed by Stein). It would be excellent if someone like her could've gotten the nomination, but her being a member of the Green Party makes it unlikely in this country. Part of me does wish that her proposal of rank-choice voting would come to fruition. That might allow us to stop electing crap.

9. onlythebulls13

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    YAASSSSS! lol. Rank choice voting needs to start happening. Im really glad you brought that up. People need to become aware that there are different and more efficient ways to cast votes.

10. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Because the media are owned by forces which depend on the status quo. Since Stein would actually help the country by working against this corrupt power structure, they shut her up. Same thing with Bernie-- he's too dangerous. Hillary is a shill and Trump is part of the <1%, so both of them are guaranteed to benefit the elite.

I'd love her as pres but she doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell. :tears:

11. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

12. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have mixed feelings about Stein. I like what I read about her positions, and she comes across very well in one video I've seen. But I am concerned about her apparently limited elective office experience. President is not exactly a position for someone with little experience. I was not wild about Obama in 2008 for the same reason. While it can be argued that experience creates problems--such as becoming too much a part of the system--there are some benefits to having some experience.

That said... I am giving serious thought to voting for her in November.

Also, to a large degree, it's irrelevant her lack of experience since there is probably less than no chance of her winning. I'd expect her to do fairly well by third party standards--I have a feeling she'll pick up lots of Sanders supporters. But I suspect many Sanders supporters will support--however grudgingly--Clinton just because she has realistic chance of winning.

Still...it would be interesting if Stein won. And I guess I won't rule the possibility out totally--this has been a crazy year, and, at this point, I'd say anything is possible.

13. confu

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    It would be pointless to vote for her because she has such a small visibility in the political world. Might as well vote for either Trump or Clinton at this point.

14. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh I agree with your policy and it wouldn't stop me from voting for her. But even if a considerable number of people did the same, it's up to the electoral college to decide who wins. And we can rest assured that enough people are still invested in the two-party dominance that it's not going to happen this time.

15. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, I took a personality test thingy online and it said my views are closest to Jill Stein's.

It seems it would be nice if she got elected, but I doubt it'll happen. >.<

16. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Doesn't the electoral college vote with the majority vote of the state? I may be naive. It's really the first election I've cared about.

---------- Post added 12th Jun 2016 at 04:54 PM ----------

...and I know they can choose who they want but really if they went against the majority I feel like DC would be in flames.

17. Formality

People say that it is unlikely and therefore there is no reason to vote. We have the opportunity to give Stein the attention she deserves. We can talk about her online, with our friends and family, we can donate money to her campaign and spread the word. There's tons of things we can do to make sure she gets noticed so that she stands a chance in the election in november. Now I obviously can't say for sure what Bernie's plan is now that he basically lost the democratic race against Hillary, however it is likely that he will endorse Hillary in exchange for her to change her position on minimum wage. Like he has said before he will do anything in his power to make sure Trump isn't elected.

This is the perfect opportunity for Jill to snatch up those voters for her campaign. The people who are Bernie or bust should vote for her instead of just throwing their vote away.

I don't think it is very likely that Jill will win the election in November, however if she plays her cards right who knows? This election has been crazy so far which is why I actually doubt the november election will simply be Trump vs. Hillary. They are basically the two most hated candidates ever. I think it's highly likely that huge chunks of both the republican and democratic party will run to third party candidates in the election simply because they can't stand either of these two.

18. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm planning on voting for her, if it's Hilary vs Trump.

19. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Seeing as how I work in the auto industry, I cannot vote for someone who would love to get rid of all cars and effectively end my job. I plan on voting for Hillary(reluctantly), but I would much rather vote for Gary Johnson or Bernie Sanders as I am a populist at heart. I am just not hard left and don't believe that everything needs to be sacrificed for the environment.

20. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I believe you're correct, but the majority are not involved enough or haven't abandoned "strategic voting" enough to shun the major parties just like that. Lots of people genuinely support Clinton and Trump, as horrifying and impossible as it seems.

#20 Argentwing, Jun 12, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2016