1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

should I even bother

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Hatsune Miku, Jun 9, 2016.

1. Hatsune Miku

came out as genderfluid about a year go. ever since then my family not only refuses to let me present myself as anything except a guy, but they won't even use the right fricken name and pronouns. the presentation thing bothers me alot but I have kinda gotten used to suppressing my GID

however the name/pronoun thing is really grating on my nerves. they refuse to call me by my gender-neutral name, they won't use xe/they pronouns, i'm always referred to as my sibling's brother, and now my sister's pregnant so they're calling me "future uncle." I know they're too dead set in their ways to change their crappy behavior, but I want to start voicing my protestment anyways just so I know that I at least tried and to alleviate my dysphoria somewhat. also doing so will cause verbal arguments...

tl;dr: should I tell my to my family to use correct name/pronouns/etc. even though they'll probably never actually do so

2. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Sometimes people don't change... that's an unfortunate truth of the world. But sometimes they do, even surprisingly so. So it might be worth a try?

Anyway, I'm sorry to hear they haven't been supportive and stuff. *hugs*

3. Hatsune Miku

thank you for your advice and supportive statment

4. Akane

I came out to my mother as genderfluid years ago. And I know she will always have a hard time with gender neutral pronouns. But now that I will probably be taking T calling me daughter, she, her, sister will just seem very strange. So keep in mind that many people were taught that "they, them" are plural pronouns and it will be a very drastic learning process and change to use it as singular.