1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Siblings

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by PatrickUK, Jun 8, 2016.

1. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In the time I have been a member, I don't remember a specific thread about siblings (brothers/sisters), so I thought I would create one.

Do you have, or did you have any brothers or sisters? Are they older or younger? How well do you/did you get on? Has your relationship with them improved, or worsened, over time? If your relationship with them has changed, why do you think that is?

I think that's enough questions to be going on with. :slight_smile:

Let's talk siblings.

2. Ram90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks for creating this thread Patrick. Much appreciated. I would love to talk about my sibling for one.

I have a fraternal twin sister. We were born 2 minutes apart, but my parents and grandparents never revealed who was born first and who second. My father's analogy was that we should be equal, and not try to boss one another on basis of being older.
    Which is why up and til we both were 13, she called me Anna (Elder Brother). The moment we turned 13 she started calling me by my name and I started calling and referring her as my Akka (Elder Sister). I did it cause she gave me respect by calling me Anna (Elder Brother) so I wanted to return the favor. 13 years later, now I call her by her name too. But if anyone asks about her, I refer to her as my older sister. :slight_smile:

My sister is yin to my yang. We share similar interests, but beyond those limited things we're poles apart. We're both creative, but she's creative with art and I'm creative with literature. She liked playing sports in school and was an extrovert, making friends like it was nothing. I preferred indoor activities, hated outdoor sports and was an introvert. I had a tough time making friends and keeping them. She had the same friends all the way to college.

We fought like alley-cats all throughout our childhood. We stopped physically hitting each other when we turned 12, but verbal arguments started then. Mom was always the referee. But when she would yell on one of us, the other would always check in and we'd be friends again, till the next fight. My mom started yelling on us more often just to make sure we stayed friends. LOL.

But ever since she moved to USA in 2011 for her higher education and subsequent job, I've missed her even more. Now she's married and I don't have an opportunity to hang out with her anymore, and that is my biggest regret.

She's always been my confidante and she stands up for me in front of my parents more than I do for her, probably cause she's the model child and I'm the disappointment. I will definitely be coming out to her first in my family whenever that happens, cause she's my sister-friend-soulmate-mentor-confidante all rolled into one.

3. RGEm

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have 2 older sisters. We currently get on well nowadays, but in the past we hated each other. We used to have arguments at least twice per day, if not more, and the arguments would usually get bad enough that we would end up grounded every fortnight.
    Luckily we are all a lot more mature now, so we argue slightly less and we're capable of having a reasonable conversation between us :slight_smile:

4. SpaceOddity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    He knocked my teeth out. I bottled him and gave him a black eye. That pretty much sums up our relationship.

I guess we kind of get along now though.

5. KorrasamiIsBest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    SpaceOddity I hope you're alright now though?? :eek:

Oh dear. Well, this question hits close to home. I have one older sister. She can definitely be a bully (and dad definitely picks favourites. Hint, I'm not the favourite. :frowning2: It's really hard). But ever since I moved out I've seen less and less of my sister. I don't know what to call our relationship honestly. Some days we're great and then other days we hate each other and don't talk to each other.

6. Alicegoat12

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I have one sibling, an older sister. I pretty much look up to her since she's so independent and can life, unlike me.
    I have horrible social anxiety and can't talk to people at all and I don't leave the house much. She's pretty much the opposite of me she's ambitious and knows what she wants. She even moved to live in a different country when she was around my age and is still living there.
    Relationship wise we're close, but not super close. I always go to her for advice about school and stuff since she's pretty smart. She's probably the main reason I was ever got through any math class I took. She's also understanding of my anxiety and helped me get help for it.
    Over the years we definitely have gotten closer since i'm more mature now and know to be respectful compared to when I was a kid and loved to bug her for fun.
    I do sometimes feel like I'm the shame of my family compared to my sister though. Everyone thought I would be just like her, join the track team, get all A's, be independent, ect.

7. SpaceOddity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    LOL we're kind of okay. He used to be bigger than me and pick on me but I grew up and now I'm bigger than him so he doesn't mess with me anymore. Haha.

8. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My sister is 13 months older than me, and we are pretty much inseparable. I think as we've gotten older, we've started to better understand each other. We have our (verbal) fights from time to time, and it has progressed to physical fights a few times. But in general, we get along well

9. Glowing Eyes

I have a little brother who's 2 years younger than me. We used to get along pretty well while getting into fights (mostly verbal) every once in a while. Eventually, our interests shifted too far. A year ago or so we could have still had fun even though he was already obsessed with soccer and I was into video games. Our main interests haven't changed but we can't share as well anymore. He also gets really annoying which causes me to yell at him so much that both him and I don't really take our fights seriously anymore. I'm sure we'll solve this problem eventually but for the moment our relationship is mostly me yelling at him and him annoying me.

10. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    I have one biological (same father) little sister, and one non-biological, but still (little) sister.
    My biological little sister is 8 years old, soon to turn 9, and she is my world. We do fight quite a lot, though, but it's really just mouthing at each other a little. She hasn't had a good upbringing, I would say (as in both her parents quite suck at parenting; I had one good parent, at least), and I can get angry very quickly. But we almost never shout, it's more like "would you stop with [whatever]?", that kind of thing. We spend a lot of time together even though we don't live in the same place. We've learnt to handle not being together, but there was a time when we'd see each other like 6 days a week and usually play for hours or the entire day, so that when I had to start commuting and then move to another town when I went to high school there, we both missed each other a lot. I even cried many nights. 3':
    My non-biological little sister (my biological father is her stepfather) and I haven't ever really fought, I think. We get along quite well, although we're a little awkward sometimes, so to say, since we're not very close and never were. I do like her, though.

11. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have one older sister who is 30 in November - 9 years and 3 months older than myself.

We used to be pretty close when I was a kid. Because of the age gap, she was kind of protective of me and sometimes assumed a parental role, such as picking me up from school. We used to go to the cinema together, bake cookies, go bowling etc. I remember one time during a thunderstorm, we down the street, soaking wet, with cars splashing us - that was pretty fun, lol.

I'm not sure we're as close now in that sense, but we get along fine. She lives in a town 66 miles away and works in social services so I don't see her as often as I did.

We did have the occasional fight when I was a teenager, but my mother remarks that we have always gotten along remarkably well, and I guess that's true - there was never any sibling rivalry.

#11 imnotreallysure, Jun 8, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
  12. RGEm

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My sister also used to have pretty serious anger issues when we were younger, so I recieved a lot of violent threats from her we were young :grin:

13. Hawk

Admin Team Full Member Away

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have one older brother who's two years older. When we were younger, apparently we were like 'best friends', the last few years we kind of ended up drifting apart. Now he's about 6 hours away, and only comes home for holidays.

14. AngelLikesSpace

Out Status:
    Some people
    I only half siblings. I don't know most of them, but the one I do know is 9 years younger than me. So as you can probably guess there's not much we can both do together that we'd both like. I guess we interact more the older she gets though.

15. guitar

One younger bother who's 3 years younger. He's an electrical engineer and loves building and woodworking. We're very differemt as far as hobbies and such, but our personalities are kind of similar in a lot of ways. Plus, we've always bonded over music and hockey, and we usually go to several concerts and NHL games together every ear. We get along fairly well. We fought a fair amount as kids - as boys are wont to do - but we've always been friendly and had each other's backs.

He & his wife were incredibly supportive when I came out to them. My sexuality has never been an issue.

#15 guitar, Jun 8, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
  16. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have an older brother, but we aren't that close. We're very different but also the same, if that makes sense :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I think we get along better now than when we were younger. It's mostly because we've matured and know to let slight disagreements die early on rather than getting into a fight about it. I also think it helps now that we haven't gone to the same school now for years (and haven't worked at the same place). Gives us space from each other and let's us be our own individual person rather than be associated with the other brother.

17. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have a brother who is three and a half years younger than me. We get on really well. When we were younger, however, we didn't get on at all. I can't remember why, but I was very opposed to the idea of having a sibling so spent the first few years of my brother's life finding him a burden.

I learnt to love my brother though. He's autistic: I think that changes the dynamic a lot. Some siblings have a lot of drama and rivalry (so I hear from my friends) but my sibling just wants hugs, tickles and weird YouTube videos. Sometimes I wish I had a sibling who I could talk to about issues and take to events but honestly, I wouldn't change my brother for the world.

18. KorrasamiIsBest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family

19. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have a little sister. We've always gotten along quite well; I consider her one of my best friends. We are very different (in both physical appearance and personality) and people often don't believe that we are related. We don't spend as much time together as we did when we were little, but that's okay with me. ^^

20. Burnt Toast

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I get the enjoyment of having One(1) biological sister, and then, and this has only really happened recently, Three(3) step-brothers split between 2 step-parents

and none of them know im gay so that's kind of a little(?) deal to me I guess.
    We all get along well and soon I'm moving in with my step dad so it'll be 6 of us in one house. That'll be fun I'm just sure of it /s