1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's your favourite literary/movie quote?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by rudysteiner, Jun 7, 2016.

1. AmyBee

“It was in the reign of George II that the above-named personages lived and quarrelled; good or bad, handsome or ugly, rich or poor, they are all equal now.”
    ― William Makepeace Thackeray, The Memoirs of Barry Lyndon, Esq. (also the movie)

#21 AmyBee, Jun 23, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2016
  2. NoXsOrOs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    "Well, I imagine it gets uncomfortable sitting that long with a stick up your ass."
    The dry humor always gets me. Also from "But I'm a cheerleader" one the first movies I ever watched.

3. idcidc

"Vanity,definitely my favourite sin" from Al Pacino as Lucifer in Devil's advocate.

4. Benway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    There are literally far too many quotes in my head to count that would constitute as a 'favorite' but one that springs to mind is...

"It's going to be really hard waiting thirty years before I can talk to you about everything that's happened in the past few days." ~ Doc Brown, Back to the Future

5. jp97

For all the books I have read the ones with the most memorable quotes come from the books of Lisa See, who rights with such moving raw emotion. Some of my favorite are:

"I've come to believe that part of lovesickness comes from this conflict between control and desire. In love we have no control. Our hearts and minds are tormented, teased, enticed and delighted by the overwhelming strength of emotions that make us try to forget the real world"
    -peony in love

"As she spoke, I wanted to cry, because sometimes it's just so damn hard to be a mother. We have to wait and wait and wait for our children to open their hearts to us. And if that doesn't work, we have to bide our time and look for the moment of weakness when we can sneak back into their lives and they will see us and remember us for the people who love them unconditionally"
    -Dreams of Joy

My last comes not from a book, but the web comic Noblesse, which is great and highly recommended.

"If I can save you by risking my life............my life is worth risking....don't you think?"
    -Rai

6. idcidc

I want to read Paradise Lost so bad but I'm afraid I won't understand the language because its old and I dont think there are any translated versions in my country.

7. Gayreader

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Mines “As he read, I fell in love the way you fall asleep: slowly, and then all at once.” from the fault in our stars by John green. It's just such a beautiful quote from such a beautiful book

8. candyjiru

This monologue always resonated with me~ watch the video to get the full Glenn Close impact <3

"When I came out into society I was 15. I already knew that the role I was condemned to, namely to keep quiet and do what I was told, gave me the perfect opportunity to listen and observe. Not to what people told me, which, naturally was of no interest, but to whatever it was they were trying to hide. I practiced detachment. I learned how to look cheerful while under the table I stuck a fork into the back of my hand. I became a virtuoso of deceit. It wasn't pleasure I was after; it was knowledge. I consulted the strictest moralists to learn how to appear, philosophers to find out what to think, and novelists to see what I could get away with, and in the end I distilled everything into one, wonderfully simple principle: win or die."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6PJBv7HT1M